Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterskiing with Wakesetter VLX

Kyle Minnick

Just purchased a 2006 Wakesetter VLX with wake hull. Curious if anyone has skied behind one and how the wake was. will ski at about 30-32 mph with the ballasts empty. I like to wakeboard and my wife likes to ski. I had an i/o before so i'm guessing the wake is better than that. Thanks.

Kyle

:unsure: Slalom? :unsure: Behind a VLX? :unsure: ......... :rofl:

Don't like your wife, huh? :lol:

Alright, I'll play nice now. :innocent:

I guess it's all in what you're used to. Might be better than an I/O? :dontknow: Never skied behind an I/O personally.

Just purchased a 2006 Wakesetter VLX with wake hull. Curious if anyone has skied behind one and how the wake was. will ski at about 30-32 mph with the ballasts empty. I like to wakeboard and my wife likes to ski. I had an i/o before so i'm guessing the wake is better than that. Thanks.

Kyle

For Me I dont do tournaments, Just free ski, I dont mind it, But I really dont ski that much anymore, now my buddy is spoiled and has skied behind mostly tournment boats, He can do it but he does not particularly like it...I will have to say I did ski behind a nautique awhile back. Wow What wake!!! So i guess it comes down to your wifes abilities, I don't think it would be a deal breaker, as in you already have it!!! I would think it would be better then most I/O. Oh & congrates on the new boat, Welcome to the Crew, Where are you from? Edited by Wakesetter67

I've skied behind an 07 VLX and a crownline 202BR, and they're pretty darn close to being the same size wake. You might get a LITTLE smaller with the VLX.

Not excellent to ski behind, but not too bad as long as you're a recreational skier and not a course skier.

I haven't skied behind the newer hull, but used to have a 2002 VLX. When compared to a friends Tige Direct Drive, the Wakesetter was flatter at slalom speeds, at 32-36mph. I agree with the above, for recreational skiing she should be fine.

-OTL

I have a 05 VLX and the wake is ok, faster is better. I sky at 30 and my bro skies at 28.

I have a video, don't think I can post it.

Send my a PM and I will try to email my video

I have a video, don't think I can post it.

Send my a PM and I will try to email my video

Post the video on YouTube and then link to it here or e-mail the link.

Thanks! I'm from Nebraska. My friend has a Response LXI so I know the wake won't even come close to that for skiing. My wife isn't a serious slalom skier. She just learned. And hey, she may pick up wakeboarding and surfing now too. Got a good deal on the VLX and just couldn't pass on it.

The VLX is an awesome boat, but not so much for slalom skiing. You can do it if you go 32 to 34mph, but it is still a hard wake. You can get launched if you are not careful. Not a lot of fun. Incredible for wakeboarding though.

I skied behind our VLX just for craps and giggles... imho very easy for a novice skier to get hurt if not careful. I was easily launched as the wake is larger than the Response I'm used to and very hard not to mention it has a much wider wake as well which makes it harder to transition behind the boat. I save the skiing for the RLXI and wakeboarding/surfing behind the VLX as that's the best of both worlds.

Besides the wake being sucky, I was surprised at the difference in the initial pull out of the water between a v-drive and a direct drive.

Thanks! I'm from Nebraska. My friend has a Response LXI so I know the wake won't even come close to that for skiing. My wife isn't a serious slalom skier. She just learned. And hey, she may pick up wakeboarding and surfing now too. Got a good deal on the VLX and just couldn't pass on it.

If she is just starting out, Might be a little challaging crossing the wake, But once she gets use to it probubly not a big deal. If she ski's like me and alot of the rest of these guys, that wake will definitely launch you, So if she go's across easy should not be a big deal,

Kyle

You can get a decent wake out of a VLX if you fill your bow ballast 50%. I skied on a 06 VLX with a diamond hull and we filled the bow 50%. Wake was decent, not what the VTX can be but still more than skiable. Not sure how much bigger the wake will be with the wake hull. I imagine it will still be ok, just keep those needs bent and dont stand tall when you hit the wake!