Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97-98 malibu echelon engine options/performance

WBL skier

I am looking at buying a 97 or 98 malibu echelon. I understand there were a lot of different engine options then. Does anyone have any input on good or bad experiences with the various options or about the boat in general? Thanks.

Great boat, the Echelon is the boat that really put Malibu on the map as a serious slalom and three event competitor to the big two. Excellent slalom wakes, top notch barefoot wakes and a high quality boat that was available in both closed and open bow models. If you are looking at an Echelon (96/97) and it is an open bow, it may be a step over instead of a walk through design (I am not sure when/if they discontinued the walk through on the Echelon). The 93-96 Echelons were all walk through designs. I have had an excellent experience with my Echelon. Engine options will include Indmar and perhaps Mercruiser.

I have the Merc 350 (265hp) and stock 13x13 prop. It does about 46mph top end, at 4600 RPM. I have the wedge, which makes a great improvement to the wake for wakeboarding. My family and I wakeboard off it and I barefoot. We are setting up a ballast system this year to surf behind it. It's a small boat, easy to maneuver and good power with the 265hp. I updated my interior and most people that don't know ski boats assume it's about a 5 or 8 year old boat, since it has a pretty timeless design.

The only flaw I can say is the Computron, which is the computer that displays a lot of the functions. It doesn't work well, and the company that made it is out of business. Some parts are available, but way too expensive to make it worthwhile. So my only dilemma with the boat is what to do with the guages, at some point if I still have the boat I'll be putting a Stargazer system in and re-doing the dash. Or I might upgrade to a Response Lxi, all depends on $ at the time.

post-8942-010815300 1298905124_thumb.jpg

I was looking for the Malibu Specs page but its not coming through for me right now.

Most of your Older Echelons will have a Merc, with the Monsoon coming in around 96 I believe.

Merc Carbed 350 265hp as mentioned above

Merc 454 Big Block (I believe EFI) Standard on the Presidents Edition

Merc Black Scorpion EFI 315hp. I have this motor and it is solid. Pulls like 340 or 350 HP

Indmar Monsoon EFI 315 hp

Indmar Carbed maybe? Probaly 265 hp if it was available.

I was looking for the Malibu Specs page but its not coming through for me right now.

Most of your Older Echelons will have a Merc, with the Monsoon coming in around 96 I believe.

Merc Carbed 350 265hp as mentioned above

Merc 454 Big Block (I believe EFI) Standard on the Presidents Edition

Merc Black Scorpion EFI 315hp. I have this motor and it is solid. Pulls like 340 or 350 HP

Indmar Monsoon EFI 315 hp

Indmar Carbed maybe? Probaly 265 hp if it was available.

I have the Merc 454. It is a solid engine with 395 HP. Probably a little overkill for the size of boat, but fun to drive and it is EFI.

Correction

96-97

Mercruiser 265HP Magnum 350ci Carb

Mercruiser 290HP Magnum 350ci EFI

Mercruiser 315HP Black Scorpion 350ci EFI

Indmar 320HP Monsoon 350ci EFI

Merc 350 Ski 250HP

Merc 350 Mag HO 265HPi

Merc 350 Mag HO EFI 265hp

Merc 454 Mag EFI Tournament Ski 395hp

Merc 350 MAG HO 265hp

Merc 350 Mag EFI 265hp

Merc 454 Mag EFI 390hp

1993 - Merc 5.7 Comp Ski 250hp

thanks--any idea what the options were in '98. was there still a carbeurated option or were they all EFI by then? thanks again.

Correction

96-97

Mercruiser 265HP Magnum 350ci Carb

Mercruiser 290HP Magnum 350ci EFI

Mercruiser 315HP Black Scorpion 350ci EFI

Indmar 320HP Monsoon 350ci EFI

Merc 350 Ski 250HP

Merc 350 Mag HO 265HPi

Merc 350 Mag HO EFI 265hp

Merc 454 Mag EFI Tournament Ski 395hp

Merc 350 MAG HO 265hp

Merc 350 Mag EFI 265hp

Merc 454 Mag EFI 390hp

1993 - Merc 5.7 Comp Ski 250hp

Great boat, the Echelon is the boat that really put Malibu on the map as a serious slalom and three event competitor to the big two. Excellent slalom wakes, top notch barefoot wakes and a high quality boat that was available in both closed and open bow models. If you are looking at an Echelon (96/97) and it is an open bow, it may be a step over instead of a walk through design (I am not sure when/if they discontinued the walk through on the Echelon). The 93-96 Echelons were all walk through designs. I have had an excellent experience with my Echelon. Engine options will include Indmar and perhaps Mercruiser.

the Echelon LX was always a walk-thru, the Response LX was a step over

I believe 98 was a partial year for the Echelon's final run. I don't think it made the brochure.

My best assumption would be the same as 97. Carbed still was the base engine in the Response up until recently so I would assume you could still get a 98 carbed Echelon. But I doubt anyone got it as people that upgraded to the Echelon from the Response already were looking for more options. So I would guess most of them had the Monsoon. From what I was told it was mostly the footers that got the Scorpion in 97 and 98. I believe Indmar offered 3 years and Merc only 1 so that was a big difference considering the prices were close.

I've seen a 98 Echelon LX and it was a step over not a walk through, similiar to the Response. Perhaps you had to special order it in 98. And since they used the same hull for both they may have just sold a 98 Resonse with the "Echelon" upgrades to it.

Now I am curious. Does the 98 Echelon have the L shaped passenger seat and the side pockets that are tell tale Echelon things? Or is it just a loaded Response?

Here is a 98 Echelon LX with a step over and it has the seat and side panels.

98 Echelon

My take away now is they still used the Echelon Deck and just cut a hole in it to make the 98 Echelon LX. Just like they did for all the Response LX's. Easy Conversion

Sorry for the Rambling, I take my Echelon facts to heart.

Not that I'm disagreeing with anyone's information provided thus far, but I have a 1998 Echelon LX step-over open-bow . Here is the info sent to me from Malibu. Perhaps my Echelon is a little different than others since it's a '98?

Year: 1998

Model: Malibu Echelon LX

Engine: Monsoon 325hp EFI

Transmission: ZF Hurth Marine in-Line.

Overall boat dimensions: 20' long 98" beam.

Features: 2 outlet heater, Depth Finder, 1pr of cleats,4 JVC speakers.

Boat colors:

Hull main: Opal.

Hull pinstripe: Sangria**Zephyr**Neutrial.

Hull trim: Ebony

Other info from me personally:

Front and rear side pockets w/mesh in the gunnels

Engine cover side mesh storage pockets

L shaped (almost kidney shaped) Passenger seat

I can attach some pics later (my membership ran out yesterday...heh)

Edited by DIE2SURF

bretski75, no need to apologize for your ramblings...I enjoy them. :biggrin: Since we are on the topic, yes the 98's got the interior differences (I hesitate to call them upgrades) but that also meant no rear sundeck conversion with the back seat. And step over instead of walk through open bow. I think what happened is Malibu had a certain amount of Echelon specific pieces left, so they made a few boats in early 98...that's just me guessing/rambling.

I have not seen a 98 model year with the computron. It was actually listed as an option in the 98 brochure for Response and Sunsetter lines, but I've never seen one in those models either. I'm not sure when the computron officially stopped, does the 97 have it? I'm sure you could order a carb'd engine, but as bretski75 said that would have been pretty rare.

Ive never seen a 97 with a Computron in it.

And 1 edit for Die2surf. I believe Malibu made an error. Your Beam is 90. 98 inches would be more like an 21 or 23 ft V drive

I would love to see pictures

Edited by bretski75

Ive never seen a 97 with a Computron in it.

And 1 edit for Die2surf. I believe Malibu made an error. Your Beam is 90. 98 inches would be more like an 21 or 23 ft V drive

I would love to see pictures

You are probably right about 90" beam (not like I measured or anything). Also, I found it odd that the specs they sent me have it with a Monsoon 325hp... all the Monsoons I was aware of that year were at 320hp. Getting the accurate info would normally bug me to the point of becoming OCD, but I gave up my aspirations of becoming Don Quixote many years ago... so I just go with it. (watch, I probably don't even have an Echelon...it's a Response in disguise...heh)

I'm kicking myself for not buying the submarine package you got... :biggrin:

The black / orange 98 Echelon appears to have the Echelon upper section based on the shape at the rear but with the step over Response style LX configuration as noted by Bret. The dash is also a Response style unit but I think the 97 was the same way which I think made the installation of the Computron more challenging or nothappenin' along with the fact they went bankrupt. That particular boat appears to be highly customized. If you get the chance or have copies, the old Waterski Magazine boat tests did a very good job of detailing the qualities of the boats. The reviews are excellent back then and one can actually make some decisions based on the information presented, those are the issues with the propeller ratings. There are many reasons, the wake one of the key ones, why the Echelon earned "Boat of teh Year" honors several years running from '93 onward.

You are probably right about 90" beam (not like I measured or anything). Also, I found it odd that the specs they sent me have it with a Monsoon 325hp... all the Monsoons I was aware of that year were at 320hp. Getting the accurate info would normally bug me to the point of becoming OCD, but I gave up my aspirations of becoming Don Quixote many years ago... so I just go with it. (watch, I probably don't even have an Echelon...it's a Response in disguise...heh)

I'm kicking myself for not buying the submarine package you got... :biggrin:

98 Monsoon was Gen II at 325 hp (black paint)

97 Monsoon was Gen I at 320 hp (grey paint)

98 Monsoon was Gen II at 325 hp (black paint)

97 Monsoon was Gen I at 320 hp (grey paint)

ahso... Thanks for the clarification. From your description, I would have a Gen II @ 325hp.

In defense of my theory about having "left over" parts so they made a few Echelons in 1998, my engine is (I think) Monsoon II as it has the black paint and 325 HP insignia on the top. However, my ECM cover is from the Monsoon 320 package.

In defense of my theory about having "left over" parts so they made a few Echelons in 1998, my engine is (I think) Monsoon II as it has the black paint and 325 HP insignia on the top. However, my ECM cover is from the Monsoon 320 package.

I pretty much came to the same conclusion when I talked to Malibu and asked them about a "true" 1998 Echelon...when the final year was supposed to be 1997. Merced told me that they pumped out a few more in 1998...which pretty much says to me that they had some left over inventory.

Fine by me; nice to know that we have pretty much the Last of the Mohicans of this epic boat. I bought all new skins from Chee, so it's looking really good these days. I only have 2 more to put on.

What Mods/upgrades have you Echelon owners made thus far? Mine are:

-New steering cable (wonderful difference)

-Skins

-Motorbox insulation

-In-Line Exhaust Silencers

-LEDs interior (just replaced the stock bulbs)

-Underwater LED (special Mod I did w/o drilling holes since I'm a chicken)

-Nude (No decals)

-SS cup holders

-SS throttle knob

I don't think I'll ever put a tower on it; it just looks too sleek and clean without.

Edited by DIE2SURF

I am looking at buying a 97 or 98 malibu echelon. I understand there were a lot of different engine options then. Does anyone have any input on good or bad experiences with the various options or about the boat in general? Thanks.

I had a 1997 Echelon LX and it was an outstanding boat. Ran flawlessly and looked amazing.

n1148239844_434985_2177913.jpg

6170_1217640678329_1148239844_648863_4399320_n.jpg

The LX has the walk-thru bow which is nice. We had the Merc 265 HP engine and it had plenty of power. I had a top end of 46-47 MPH via GPS with light load and fuel. Never had to touch or tweak the carb - ran as reliably as EFI, IMO.

Good luck with your purchase!

-- Mike

I have made a few mods to mine, basically pulling about 250# out of it with aluminum engine parts which include fast burn 385 cylinder heads (10:1 compression ratio), a ZZ4 cam, performer rpm intake manifold, cold air intake, timing map change, stainless marine aluminum exhaust headers, 4" exhaust & stainless tips, 1.6 rockers a custom Acme 3 blade prop, so it has ball park 400 hp and will touch 55 mph. Does a great job pulling up barefooters. I also made a dash mod, installing speed control and keeping 2 Airguides with the tach centered and a 4-1 gauge for the systems gauges. I did a some mod on the hull that smoothed out the ski wake even more. Added the required heater/shower, installed a 2004 style drivers seat that Chee made a custom skin that matches perfectly. All in all, I am very pleased with the final product, so it's really difficult to consider replacing "her". I still think the Echelon is one of the best looking tournament ski boats even 18 years after its introduction.

Mike, the color combo and scheme are awesome on your former Echelon

I have made a few mods to mine, basically pulling about 250# out of it with aluminum engine parts which include fast burn 385 cylinder heads (10:1 compression ratio), a ZZ4 cam, performer rpm intake manifold, cold air intake, timing map change, stainless marine aluminum exhaust headers, 4" exhaust & stainless tips, 1.6 rockers a custom Acme 3 blade prop, so it has ball park 400 hp and will touch 55 mph. Does a great job pulling up barefooters. I also made a dash mod, installing speed control and keeping 2 Airguides with the tach centered and a 4-1 gauge for the systems gauges. I did a some mod on the hull that smoothed out the ski wake even more. Added the required heater/shower, installed a 2004 style drivers seat that Chee made a custom skin that matches perfectly. All in all, I am very pleased with the final product, so it's really difficult to consider replacing "her". I still think the Echelon is one of the best looking tournament ski boats even 18 years after its introduction.

Mike, the color combo and scheme are awesome on your former Echelon

So...where are the under-clamshell pics of that beast of a motor??? :-) Oh, and the dash...hopefully there is a big 5" Autometer or Livorsi tach front and center!

-- Mike

I think Woodski's boat is like Bigfoot we all know it exists but most of us have not seen it. :Tease3: . I have been asking him for pictures also sounds like an awsome project. :notworthy: