Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel

winddawg

I was poking around the web and saw THIS article on test for a yanmar diesel installed in a Tige boat. I was surprised by the claim made in the 4th paragraph of the article:

"
Tasker Marine was anxious to test the engine's fuel efficiency so they loaded nine adults onto the 20V and ran it at towing speed. At 60% of its power, the fuel efficiency was about 1.2 gallons per hour. The company was very impressed."

I know diesel is about 30% more efficient than gas engines but if the claim above is true I would be happy to inhale some diesel fumes while on the swim platform.

I really hope that in the future we will have the option for a diesel engine in a Malibu in the near future. I would really like to see the hp, torque, rpm and fuel consumption numbers for the banks duramax marine engine, yanmar's marinized engine(s), and the Indmar Steyr solution. If you saved 2 gallons an hour @ 1000 hrs and 3 bucks a gallon, that's 6 grand. The engine will last longer and require a lot less in maintenance so it would easily cover an up charge for the diesel over a gas engine.

We all know where gas and diesel prices are headed and diesel is readily available on the water....

-Dave

I was poking around the web and saw THIS article on test for a yanmar diesel installed in a Tige boat. I was surprised by the claim made in the 4th paragraph of the article:

"
Tasker Marine was anxious to test the engine's fuel efficiency so they loaded nine adults onto the 20V and ran it at towing speed. At 60% of its power, the fuel efficiency was about 1.2 gallons per hour. The company was very impressed."

I know diesel is about 30% more efficient than gas engines but if the claim above is true I would be happy to inhale some diesel fumes while on the swim platform.

I really hope that in the future we will have the option for a diesel engine in a Malibu in the near future. I would really like to see the hp, torque, rpm and fuel consumption numbers for the banks duramax marine engine, yanmar's marinized engine(s), and the Indmar Steyr solution. If you saved 2 gallons an hour @ 1000 hrs and 3 bucks a gallon, that's 6 grand. The engine will last longer and require a lot less in maintenance so it would easily cover an up charge for the diesel over a gas engine.

We all know where gas and diesel prices are headed and diesel is readily available on the water....

-Dave

I agree that a diesel would work well in a wakeboarding boat application. High torque, low rpm, fuel efficient, and generally operating in a warm enviorment all align very well. Likewise, i'm not sure how diesel emissions goes in the boat world, but in the automotive world that is one of the obstacles keeping them away. There is a high cost associated with all the needed emissions equipment, be it urea injection, or secondary catalytic systems that could go away. I'm not sure how fun it would be wake surfing behind a diesel boat. :/

I agree that a diesel would work well in a wakeboarding boat application. High torque, low rpm, fuel efficient, and generally operating in a warm enviorment all align very well. Likewise, i'm not sure how diesel emissions goes in the boat world, but in the automotive world that is one of the obstacles keeping them away. There is a high cost associated with all the needed emissions equipment, be it urea injection, or secondary catalytic systems that could go away. I'm not sure how fun it would be wake surfing behind a diesel boat. :/

They just need to integrate those Big Smoke stack to go along side the G3 Tower, Problem solved.... Can I Get A Big 10-4 Good Buddy!!! Edited by Wakesetter67

Diesel Engines in a ski boat do not compute. Unless you are using them in a ski school application as the article stated.

The diesel engines are about twice as expensive per horsepower as a gasser.

Diesel fumes are more of an issue around the ski platform.

You are paying for an engine that has a life of 6000 hours plus. Not many ski boats see 1000 hours on the meter. It is really rare to see 2000. Many 10 year old ski boats have 400 to 700.

The big advantages in a marine application is the lower amount of fuel burned per mile. This is very important if you are cruising long distances in your boat and range is a big factor. Not so much in boats that are pretty much close to fuel stations like our ski boats. The other advantage is the lower risk of fuel explosion on board a cruiser. Once again, the cruiser will be a further distance from population in the event of a fire. Boats that are moored suffer considerably more deterioration from the marine environment. My dad had cruisers that were moored much of my life. The issues with ignition, wiring, and carburetors were a constant. This is another benefit of diesels in a cruiser. Not so much with my boats which since 1972 were always stored in my garage on a trailer.

My 2002 Duramax Diesel pickup is the last pickup I need to own. It has gone 66,875 miles in 2260 hours. Twenty percent of that is towing a boat or travel trailer, often over the nearby mountain passes. My buddies have gone 300,000 miles on theirs. But the parameters are different. I need the diesel torque to keep my speed up when towing my trailer uphill and the additional braking effect on the downhill side. Once again not the issue with a ski boat.

In an underpowered ski boat the cheapest power you can buy is a LOW pitched prop. You can take a doggy boat prop it down and get hole shot. It's no big deal if your top speed drops from 42 to 38 do to rpm limitation because you do not tow a skier that speed anyway.

In my jaded opinion, save your money on the diesel engine for your ski boat and spend it on a diesel in your tow rig.

They just need to integrate those Big Smoke stack to go along side the G3 Tower, Problem solved.... Can I Get A Big 10-4 Good Buddy!!!

A long, long, time ago, we had a couple guys photo shop in some big rig smoke stacks onto boats on this site. It was pretty funny. They're long gone now that the site has changed servers so many times :(

Edited by Pistol Pete

A long, long, time ago, we had a couple guys photo shop in some big rig smoke stacks onto boats on this site. It was pretty funny. They're long gone now that the site has changed servers so many times :(

would have loved to see that.. Just curious how long has this site been up??

Well,

WakeGirl Joined:March 21, 2005

I joined April 6, 2005

TMC spun off of an older site called MalibuBoatOwners.com which started sometime around 2000. I was a member back then too.

Well,

WakeGirl Joined:March 21, 2005

I joined April 6, 2005

TMC spun off of an older site called MalibuBoatOwners.com which started sometime around 2000. I was a member back then too.

I like your new boat "not at 5 bucks a gallon". I was filling my truck up the other day and the pump stopped at 100 bucks and i was still a couple gallons from full. I fear this summer will be like the summer of 2009 with unafordable gas prices. I guess i should look on the bright side with fewer boats on the delta.

Ha I wish mine was only 100 dollars mine is close to 175 now 44 gallon tank 2002 Excursion Diesel

Zoinks!

Excursions have a 44 gal tank?

My 2000 F250 CC short box only has a ~27 gal. tank.

I'm pretty sure the Excursions are just a F250 CC long box chasis.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Zoinks!

Excursions have a 44 gal tank?

My 2000 F250 CC short box only has a ~27 gal. tank.

I'm pretty sure the Excursions are just a F250 CC long box chasis.

Spare tire in the inside back versus under the rear bed of a 250 http://www.new-cars.com/2002/ford/ford-excursion-specifications.html :crazy:

14-15 quarts of oil tooo :yahoo:

Edited by Living the Dream

That's a difference between a gas and a diesel for you.

Plus getting 15-17 MPG Diesel compare to 10-12 MPG Gas

We all know Diesel will typically go 300,000 plus with basic repairs :rockon:

Edited by Living the Dream

My first new car was a 1972 Chevy Suburban with the 402 cubic inch big block. Basically a 396 of prior years. I ordered that baby from the factory and that was in the days when there were no packages. You ordered the high grade exterior trim on a different code from the high grade interior trim. The option list was a page long and it still was not loaded like a truck of today.

It came stock with a 26 ? gallon fuel tank. I lived in Lake Oswego Oregon then and loved to drive to Billy Chinook on long summer weekends. Eight (9) miles per gallon around town and maybe eleven on the highway.

When the gasoline lines started on the first oil crisis in the early/mid 1970's I had a custom made 54 gallon fuel tank fabricated because you could not be certain that you could buy gas anywhere but my home/local Chevron dealer who soon became my best ally. Gas lines around the block and all. I gave all my lube/oil service to the Chevron dealer in order to be assured I could fill my Suburban and my boat. I think gas went from 35 cents to over a buck and we thought we were being robbed.

It took all 54 gallons to make the round trip to Lake Billy with a reserve. Two lane highways and a mountain pass. But once you got over the Cascade Mountain range it was sunny.

My first new car was a 1972 Chevy Suburban with the 402 cubic inch big block. Basically a 396 of prior years. I ordered that baby from the factory and that was in the days when there were no packages. You ordered the high grade exterior trim on a different code from the high grade interior trim. The option list was a page long and it still was not loaded like a truck of today.

It came stock with a 26 ? gallon fuel tank. I lived in Lake Oswego Oregon then and loved to drive to Billy Chinook on long summer weekends. Eight (9) miles per gallon around town and maybe eleven on the highway.

When the gasoline lines started on the first oil crisis in the early/mid 1970's I had a custom made 54 gallon fuel tank fabricated because you could not be certain that you could buy gas anywhere but my home/local Chevron dealer who soon became my best ally. Gas lines around the block and all. I gave all my lube/oil service to the Chevron dealer in order to be assured I could fill my Suburban and my boat. I think gas went from 35 cents to over a buck and we thought we were being robbed.

It took all 54 gallons to make the round trip to Lake Billy with a reserve. Two lane highways and a mountain pass. But once you got over the Cascade Mountain range it was sunny.

Good story, kinda puts things into perspective. Man can't imagine $.35 gas, sounds like a dream to me.

I'd love one of the Audi/VW Tdi's in my boat. Add bluetec and/or DPF and the fumes really aren't an issue.

It would be interesting to see how the boat builders would manage the 1200F exhaust temp, which is necessary to clean out the DPF. Would make for one hot engine compartment.

Drove past my favorite cheapy gas sta. this AM on my way to work and diesel is $3.95/gal.

And then, I gassed-up the company diesel at a Chevron and forgot to look at how much a gallon the corp. is paying. Doesn't bother me one bit, I'm sure it was North of $4.00

Edited by Pistol Pete

It would be interesting to see how the boat builders would manage the 1200F exhaust temp, which is necessary to clean out the DPF. Would make for one hot engine compartment.

Good point... but after the burn you could dump tons of water in the exhaust and sent out a steam bath :). When my Touareg's dpf's go into regen mode you can really smell things heating up int eh exhaust.

Drove past my favorite cheapy gas sta. this AM on my way to work and diesel is $3.95/gal.

And then, I gassed-up the company diesel at a Chevron and forgot to look at how much a gallon the corp. is paying. Doesn't bother me one bit, I'm sure it was North of $4.00

If you have iphone or android phone download the gas buddy app

Don't have a fancy phone.

I actually get a kick out of sticking it to my company.

I just looked at the receipt, I paid $4.19 a gallon today. That's up $.20 from this time last week. Bah ha ha ha.

Oh wait, edit, I forgot that when my company pays more for fuel actually, you pay more. Sorry guys.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I'd love one of the Audi/VW Tdi's in my boat. Add bluetec and/or DPF and the fumes really aren't an issue.

We won't be seeing that emissions equipment in marine applications for along time.

Don't have a fancy phone.

I actually get a kick out of sticking it to my company.

I just looked at the receipt, I paid $4.19 a gallon today. That's up $.20 from this time last week. Bah ha ha ha.

Oh wait, edit, I forgot that when my company pays more for fuel actually, you pay more. Sorry guys.

not when shipping is freeeeee...yes I know they will build it into the price of the item...its called INFLATION :yahoo:

We all get snookered by the government :crazy: