Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving Hard Tanks Under The Floor

Guest J-Ro

With the recent thread about adding under floor ballast I am considering putting my hard tanks below the floor. Dalt1 is the first person I have seen that has able to access the area under the floor and post pics. My dilemna - I have a 2009 Sunscape 21 LSV. The boat is exactly like the VLX of the same year. However the boat had the rear ballast added after it was built so it has the rear hard tanks above the floor like the earlier wakesetters. I would love to put those tanks or bags under the floor to free up a lot of trunk space. So my question is - has anyone done this or are there any dealbreakers that would keep me from being able to do it? Thanks all.

With the recent thread about adding under floor ballast I am considering putting my hard tanks below the floor. Dalt1 is the first person I have seen that has able to access the area under the floor and post pics. My dilemna - I have a 2009 Sunscape 21 LSV. The boat is exactly like the VLX of the same year. However the boat had the rear ballast added after it was built so it has the rear hard tanks above the floor like the earlier wakesetters. I would love to put those tanks or bags under the floor to free up a lot of trunk space. So my question is - has anyone done this or are there any dealbreakers that would keep me from being able to do it? Thanks all.

I am in the same situation with my 2004 LSV, I would like to retrofit the rear tanks under the floor that were originally located in the rear lockers. My boat did not have the midship ballast and I was able to add that after the fact. It was a chore but looking back at it well worth it.

-Dave

I'm not sure Malibu uses the same floor mold for Sunscape and Wakesetter models. Maybe you've already confirmed that, but the first thing to confirm is that your boat has a removable panel in the trunk like the Wakesetter models. If it does, and if Malibu doesn't fill that void with flotation foam on Sunscape models then it should be pretty straight forward to add a bag in that location.

I am in the same situation with my 2004 LSV, I would like to retrofit the rear tanks under the floor that were originally located in the rear lockers. My boat did not have the midship ballast and I was able to add that after the fact. It was a chore but looking back at it well worth it.

-Dave

Unfortunately that's not really an option for you Dave. In 2004 Malibu never offered ballast under the floor, so your boat has flotation foam between the chine and stringer under the floor, and the floor is solid all the way to the edges of the compartment. I guess it's possible (anything is possible for enough money), but you'd be better off just trading the boat in on a newer model that comes equipped that way unless you're skilled at fiberglass work and don't have to pay yourself anything for your time.

Your boat was built with a different deck mold so under your floor is solid flotation foam and you you would have to fiberglass the compartment in for the hard tank.

Like SkiCrave said anything is possible but with the amount of money you would spend I would just start looking at selling yours and getting a different boat.

-Paul

The same thing applies to your boat as to Dave's. Malibu didn't start adding ballast below the floor until 2005, so any model before that, and even some models made after will have a solid floor mold in the rear locker.

Your boat was built with a different deck mold so under your floor is solid flotation foam and you you would have to fiberglass the compartment in for the hard tank.

Like SkiCrave said anything is possible but with the amount of money you would spend I would just start looking at selling yours and getting a different boat.

-Paul

One can always dream...

The foam flotation and fiberglass doesn't bother me to much my father-in-law does glass work. What I wonder is if there are additional ribs running from the stringer to the chine of the hull in the 04's, my guess is no. It is still a lot of work for not a lot of gain because the sac would just sit on top of it and fill the locker back up. It would make the installation of Leds on the transom much easier though.

Thanks for all of the input Paul and SkiCrave.

-Dave