Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Size - Need Help

hethj7

So, I'm looking at several different boards and I seem to always fit into several sizes according to the charts. I weigh about 170 and one board under consideration is the LF Witness. The 136 is sized for riders 100-180 lbs and the 140 is for riders 140-225.

I imagine the smaller board would be a little more work for just cruising around, but would be easier to spin and control. I assume the 140 would be less work to ride, but would be a little less responsive. While I like the thought of a smaller board, I'm thinking the 140 may be better overall. And as an added bonus, it will probably be a better size to allow more friends to try wakeboarding. Any thoughts?

How big of a wake are you riding and what is your riding level? How good are your friends who will be riding the board? I find these kind of things have just as much to do with proper length selection as the manufacturer's specs....

I weigh 160lbs, but ride the Ronix One 142. I've ridden a few pro-rider wakes that are slightly bigger than mine, but very few.... I find a bigger board helps a lot with managing a big wake and big landings. The rest is personal preference. I love spinning a small board, but for everything else a big board is where it's at.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought my boat last fall and had to put it directly into storage, so I can't really answer as to how my wake will get dialed in.

I'd consider myself an early stage intermediate rider. Last time I boarded, I was going wake to wake, but that was about it. My friends will basically all be on boards for the first time as I'll be introducing most of them to the sport. The more I research and think about it, I'm leaning towards the longer board. Thanks for your input!

So, I'm looking at several different boards and I seem to always fit into several sizes according to the charts. I weigh about 170 and one board under consideration is the LF Witness. The 136 is sized for riders 100-180 lbs and the 140 is for riders 140-225.

I imagine the smaller board would be a little more work for just cruising around, but would be easier to spin and control. I assume the 140 would be less work to ride, but would be a little less responsive. While I like the thought of a smaller board, I'm thinking the 140 may be better overall. And as an added bonus, it will probably be a better size to allow more friends to try wakeboarding. Any thoughts?

I weigh 175 and ride a 142. I wouldnt consider riding anything smaller. The board rides higher in the water and has less of a chance of catching an edge. As far as spinning and control, we are only talking a few centimeters here. The difference is length and weight is not gonna stop you from spinning the board.

I would go with the 140. It will probably be the best all around size for yourself and anyone bigger riding it. It will also give more surface area for newbies to pop out of the water on when they are first learning. I can't speak for the model you are looking at specifically, but I do know Liquid Force makes some quality boards. Good luck!