Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt Water

I Keep my boat on Lake Lanier just outside of Atlanta Ga. but I go back to my home town ALOT in Orange beach Alabama and I wanna bring my Vride. Is the salt water going to ruin the boat? I've heard yes and no from many people. None of them own a Vdrive boat. Also, is it possible to add a closed cooling system? Any input on this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks Ryan

PS. This is my first time on any kind of forum, so I hope I'm doing this right!

I asked my dealer the same question at this years boat show. He said it will be fine as long as it is flushed after every use. He also said if I wanted to put a closed cooling system on it, it would be about $2k. I'm probly going to get it put on just in case.

Don't know about the boat, but I think it will kill your trailer. Once it hits the salt water, the rusting will begin. (I assume you have a painted steel trailer).

My Bu goes in salt water (Destin, FL) about twice a year for a few days to a week at a time. I do a good flush daily when I come out of the water and wash her completely down. I have had zero issues in 5-6 years. Anything that has a hinge as it’s a good place for salt to get trapped.

Yep, you just gotta rinse everything off really good, inside & out. We used to put my MC 205 in Puget Sound occasionally, plus numerous other friend's boats. Spend a 1/2 hr running it on the garden hose or in a fresh water lake, rinse EVERYTHING; interior, trailer, INSIDE the trailer rails, bimini, all the vents & fittings on the boat, windshield frame, ballast system, shower, even rinse out the bilge, v-drive, etc. Most all of it can be done with the shower while the engine is running. We never had an issue from it.

We even rinsed out our gear. Salt does really bad things to aluminum & stainless.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I Keep my boat on Lake Lanier just outside of Atlanta Ga. but I go back to my home town ALOT in Orange beach Alabama and I wanna bring my Vride. Is the salt water going to ruin the boat? I've heard yes and no from many people. None of them own a Vdrive boat. Also, is it possible to add a closed cooling system? Any input on this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks Ryan

PS. This is my first time on any kind of forum, so I hope I'm doing this right!

my vride lives in the salt, I go out 3 to 4 time a week. after every run it gets a full rinse and soap, boat and trailer. I had closed cooling installed was about 3k all in. it does run raw water through the exhaust manifolds so I hook the boat up to a tap as well each time and blow it out.

i also use rust away every month as a mixture in the blow out process.

u should have a galvanized trailer because once a painted trailer in the salt it is doomed, no matter what u do rust will set in.

my last boat was 6 years in the salt and when I sold it it looked like new because I looked after it.

I am not sure I would do it for a once off. Salt is definitely a hit to resale. I live on the ocean so i have no choice. I do have neighbours who trailer there boats an hour away and do not but them in the salt.....which i think is nuts.

however bottomline salt is hard on a boat and if I could avoid it I would.