Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrinkles in Newly Installed Vinyl

Murphy8166

I had Chee send me some Vinyl Skins last year and I just got around to installing them. I took them over to my vinyl guy who does awesome work except for a couple areas that have some wrinkles in them. We believe the wrinkles are due to me leaving the skins in the the shipping boxes for months on end.

He said that over time the sun will draw those wrinkles up.

Is there anything I can do to expedite this process. I have a heat gun and can get my hands on a steamer.

Thanks for any help.

I had Chee send me some Vinyl Skins last year and I just got around to installing them. I took them over to my vinyl guy who does awesome work except for a couple areas that have some wrinkles in them. We believe the wrinkles are due to me leaving the skins in the the shipping boxes for months on end.

Is there anything I can do to expedite this process. I have a heat gun and can get my hands on a steamer.

Thanks for any help.

I've got the same issue, mine sat folded in a box for 2 years before I installed them this fall. I think with a little use and sun they'll come out. Once they're installed I don't think there's anything you can do.

Thanks for any help.

Do Not Use a heat gun,. By the time you realize it is too hot the damage will be done; hair dryer might be a better option if you just have to do something. I would wait to see what the first couple of outings does to the wrinkles, then call the vinyl guy to see what his recomendations are.

Good luck

Thanks - My installer is very good so I know he did the best job with what he had to work with.

I just got off the phone with him and he said that you can try heating it up carefully and then applying a cold rag to it and repeating that process.

I will give that a try. It gets up 103 here in the summer. Hopefully with time it will work

Thanks - My installer is very good so I know he did the best job with what he had to work with.

I just got off the phone with him and he said that you can try heating it up carefully and then applying a cold rag to it and repeating that process.

I will give that a try. It gets up 103 here in the summer. Hopefully with time it will work

I have done the heat and cool process, That worked for me..So leave it in the sun at 103 and then you can ship it here to cool...48 deg.. I hate oregon...lol

Steamer method works the best, both Malibu and Bake's use a steamer when we replace a seat skin. Some skins are too big and are really hard to do. The heat of the sun will do the best job getting rid of the wrinkles and puckers in the vinyl.

I wouldn't use a heat gun, that might be asking for trouble.

-Paul

For best results hold that heat gun really close to the seat and a little longer than you think you should. Joking obviously.

Man with all this advice maybe its time for you to become a supporting member!

Edit: I see you just joined the support crew, nice.

Edited by 06vlx

For best results hold that heat gun really close to the seat and a little longer than you think you should.

Ha! I was working on a car in college and the neighbor came over. An aviation mechanic. I asked him about how much torque to put on something and he replied: "Tighten it 'till it squeaks, then back it off a quarter turn".

I also vote no on the heat gun.