Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas Hog or Gas Hog???

Love2Ride

I am always shocked to hear stories of people getting over 20mpg with their light duty diesels. I am on my 5th and have owned all 3 brands; Duramax, Cummins, and all three Powerstrokes (7.3, 6.0, 6.4) Only time I got over 20 is with the Manual shift Cummins totally empty at 60mph. Break 65/70 and it would be in the teens. (I must have a heavier foot than i think.) Currently own the 6.4 Powerstroke, and when new, it was getting about 11 or 12 average. With a little work it now averages about 15 with mixed driving. Not bad for 8000lbs empty and nearly 1000 pound feet of torque on tap.

Modern diesels do not add up when you crunch the numbers unless you are towing over 13,000 pounds on a regular basis. Post 2008 models are all affected by the Clean Air Act that requires no soot at the tail pipe. Furthermore, their uber advanced direct injection systems with 20,000psi, variable vein turbos, EGR systems, Urea injection, and Particulate Filters, are prone to failure and cost thousands (each) to repair. True that the engine internals are extremely durable, but all the crap hung on the outside mitigate the benefit.

Buy a diesel if, like me, you love the sound, smell, and torque. Just don't kid yourself that you are saving money. The modern gas engines can almost last as long and while the mileage and torque will be less, I do not believe that the extra maintenance, fuel cost, and huge initial premium will pay back. (Unless you are towing all the time) I don't bother trying to justify this stuff anymore. I just tell people that I am doing my part to stimulate the economy. :lol:

All this being said, I supplement my truck by riding a motorcycle when the weather is good. Saves me a little on fuel and breaks up the daily commute. Not allowed to drive the wife's car.

:plus1: