Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rattle in gearbox's with hammerheads fitted??

bigmacholdthefries

i have a 05 vlx with the hh motor at idle i get a bit of"chatter" from the transmission after reading the manual it says that this is quite normal, is this something i should mention to the dealer or is it as the manual says normal.

The 383 HH has quite a cam in it, producing a distinctively lumpy idle. This lumpy-ness (is that a word?) causes the dampener plate to really work hard at idle, when the transmission doesn't have a constant load or constant torque applied to it. This often produces the noise that you are likely hearing in the transmission, which is normal.

If you drop a Monsoon idle down into the 600 rpm range you'll find the same result.

Peter.

The 383 HH has quite a cam in it, producing a distinctively lumpy idle.  This lumpy-ness (is that a word?) causes the dampener plate to really work hard at idle, when the transmission doesn't have a constant load or constant torque applied to it.  This often produces the noise that you are likely hearing in the transmission, which is normal.

If you drop a Monsoon idle down into the 600 rpm range you'll find the same result.

Peter.

Hi smoothwaterman i thought this might be the case the motor does have a lumpy idle ,the chatter isn't that bad it's just that i don't recall hearing it when we test drove the vlx with the monsoon in it thanks mate

Hi smoothwaterman  i thought this might be the case the motor does have a lumpy idle ,the chatter isn't that bad it's just that i don't recall hearing it when we test drove the vlx with the monsoon in it  thanks mate

No worries bigmac - you would not hear it with a Monsoon since the idle is much smoother. (When I mentioned dropping the idle down to 600, that is below the normal 750 rpm idle of any Indmar engine. This less than normal idle speed would cause a rough idle condition, therefore being a catalyst to creating a noisy tranny at idle.)

Hope that helps,

Peter