Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tweenager wake vest needed

Michigan boarder

My oldest turned 12 yesterday, and definitely needs a new vest as he barely fit in to his last year. I've been shopping around on line, and see lots of good looking non-coast guard approved (NCGA) vests, but those are not an option. He definitely needs a CGA vest, but I want to get him something that looks good. I"ve seen lots of CGA vests and the list is exhaustive, so I thought I'd ask the crew. He's not into flashy suff, wants something simple and preferably pure black. He's about 5 feet tall, 100 pounds. Any suggestions? I expect to buy him a new vest, but as I type this I realize that a good used vest would work too. He will primarily wakeboard, but will occasionally barefoot and surf too.

Hyperlite teen Indy.

My son has had one for two years, and is now 13 years, 5'1" and 115lbs. Still fits him great. At the family reunion last year that vest was worn by boys all the way up to about 5'6" 140lbs. Bought it when he was 4'9" and 85lbs and it was adjustable enough to get snug. Simple graphics and quality vest.

Otherwise keep an eye here:

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/SALE-amp-CLEARANCE-C32.aspx

He and I got spares from here last year, and my daughter uses the Sweetheart vest in the top row. Unfortunately the only one they have left in his size is that green VooDoo vest, which may be a little loud for him, but my son wears that same vest with different graphics and trades off pretty evenly with the HL, depending on who is out with us and his mood (or which one is easiest to reach).

EDIT: That green vest is smaller. Helium is out of the correct size altogether. Nevermind.

Edited by jk13

Thanks for the replies, looks like a lot of the good/cheap ones are either sold out or only size 2XL. I've got some time, but if anyone comes across a good one please post it.

@ Foiler, I've got a variety of sizes for his buddies, they don't get the new/cool stuff. And yes, I'm hoping to get 2 years per vest at this age, so I would hate to buy a $100 vest. Where's BJ's, is that in Wisconsin?

BJ's is the same warehouse store as a Costco.

In fact, my G.F. was at Costco yesterday and said they already have all the summer stuff out.

I've seen that they sell some half decent vests there. Can't remember what brand.

My link

Edited by Pistol Pete

In fact, my G.F. was at Costco yesterday and said they already have all the summer stuff out.

I've seen that they sell some half decent vests there. Can't remember what brand.

My link

That makes sense. Not sure where his very first vest came from, but his second was a blue and yellow Ocean Pacific from Sam's, that lasted him from age 4 to 7, then the last one was also from Sam's and was a black Ocean Pacific that has lasted him thru last summer. There's a Sam's 5 miles from us and a Costco about an hour away. I'll go on a Sunday and get the food samples too!

My link

The Costco here sells HO vests. They are great and priced well. They are usually zipper front with 2-3 buckles over that. Don't blow $100 on your tweenagers life vest!

The Costco here sells HO vests. They are great and priced well. They are usually zipper front with 2-3 buckles over that. Don't blow $100 on your tweenagers life vest!

Yep, saw that online, $39.99. That's what I'm thinkin'.