Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle Lock Doesn't Stop Boat From Going in Gear

The thread title pretty much says it all. The safety ring below the knob on the throttle doesn't do anything. In other words, I can put the boat in gear by just pushing the throttle forward (or backward). There is a detention so it doesn't just go into gear by itself, but its clearly not right and I'd like to fix it if I can. I've tried lubrication it but that's about it. Has anyone had experience with something like this?

The boat is in storage but if it can be fixed it will go on my Spring list.

Is there any spring tension at all to the black ring? Or, is it loose as a goose?

IIRC, the ring is connected to an internal rod that goes down the length of the throttle handle and then has a "key" at the bottom which gets "activated" (read, moved out of the way) for the lock mechanism.

If you had the book I have hyper linked in my signature, you'd find this diagram on page 439...

ScreenShot001-11.jpg

Mine throttle control is very similiar. Mine also doesn't have a detent "feel" as you drop it in forward. All my connections are tight and clean. The reverse detent is perfect.

Hope we get some posts on this.

Steve B.

Is there any spring tension at all to the black ring? Or, is it loose as a goose?

IIRC, the ring is connected to an internal rod that goes down the length of the throttle handle and then has a "key" at the bottom which gets "activated" (read, moved out of the way) for the lock mechanism.

If you had the book I have hyper linked in my signature, you'd find this diagram on page 439...

Good suggestion. I bought the book.

The ring is loose. Is there a spring to tension or replace? Is it a matter of taking the throttle lever apart and cleaning it? I don't see a spring at all in the diagram...

IIRC, # 2 the control handle assembly has a spring on the back side of the handle that goes down to the bottom that activates a key to move it out of the way(unlock the handle). The spring can be broken or the key can be worn down. One time I was able to flip the worn out key over to the other side and got it to work like new.

Take the handle off and take a look at it before you use the boat anymore.

It's a VERY dangerous to have this broke.

Edited by jimw

"The spring can be broken or the key can be worn down. One time I was able to flip the worn out key over to the other side and got it to work like new.

It's a VERY dangerous to have this broke. "

Thanks JimW. I have a feeling this is exactly the issue with my throttle. This project definitely just moved up in priority.

Steve B.

IIRC, # 2 the control handle assembly has a spring on the back side of the handle that goes down to the bottom that activates a key to move it out of the way(unlock the handle). The spring can be broken or the key can be worn down. One time I was able to flip the worn out key over to the other side and got it to work like new.

What does IIRC mean?

If parts need to be replaced are they available? If so, from where?

Thanks for the replies.

IIRC

Stands for If I remember correctly.

Try googling "Morse controls" aka "Teleflex marine"

You need to identify exactly what model you have. I have an MV2.

When I get home from work I'll pull out my owner's man. for my remote control system. (If I remember)

IIRC

Stands for If I remember correctly.

Try googling "Morse controls" aka "Teleflex marine"

You need to identify exactly what model you have. I have an MV2.

When I get home from work I'll pull out my owner's man. for my remote control system. (If I remember)

Got it. Thanks.

Ok,

So I pulled out my Morse Marine Products Owner's manual for the MV-2 control. (had to blow the dust off it).

Basically, this is just an installation guide that's 9 pgs. long.

If you have the same remote control as in this pic. then, you have an MV-2. (the red lettering was a dealer installed upgrade, had to pay xtra)

Just by looking at the exploded view of the mechanism, it seems to me that the "locking" part of the throttle is completely encased in the diagram's #2 "hand lever assembly" aka "control handle assembly".

Per my owner's manual, you want part # 306494

You need to look at this webpage for numbers for tech. support.

At some point, I talked to "Dave" in tech. support at 330-425-7124. The Morse Controls philosophy "is to put our customer at the center of everything we do". per John Suddarth, prez. (Might mention that). Albeit from 10 yrs. ago.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I need. Looks like it is available online for about $36.

Thanks a lot.

Just for future knowledge, can you link me where you found the part?

I'm on my phone now but I'll post it when I get back to my computer. I googled the part number and "teleflex" and something popped up. I may have looked under "shopping" in Google.

I had the same problem with mine & was able to flip the key over like jimw suggested. The groove the ley locks into showed some wear but flipping the key over was enough for it to lock. A good no cost fix

Thanks Oberon and Piston Pete. I'm ordering the same parts. Common maintenance I'm sure. A shift system get's a lot of use in it's lifetime to say the least. Projects like this are fun and easy and give a huge difference on operation of the boat.

Steve B.

• 3 weeks later...

Found same part here Marineparts.com a little cheaper and in Florida for those in the Southeast who don't want to wait as long to receive it. Also, much cheaper shipping rates.

Edited by Surfin247
martinarcher

LOL.gif I've got one of those super dangerous boats built before the safety ring even existed. Biggrin.gif Proper operation means push the throttle forward and off you go.

LOL.gif I've got one of those super dangerous boats built before the safety ring even existed. Biggrin.gif Proper operation means push the throttle forward and off you go.

Me Too, Martin Archer.

Plus, I never wear the safety kill switch lanyard, either.

When they move me onto the walker I'm gonna get one of those with the HiPro wheels.

martinarcher

Me Too, Martin Archer.

Plus, I never wear the safety kill switch lanyard, either.

When they move me onto the walker I'm gonna get one of those with the HiPro wheels.

LOL.gif What lanyard? ROFL.gif

I wasn't too worried about it until I was at idle(neutral) and at the stern helping a new rider when someone bumped the throttle and put it into gear. I was not to thrilled with riders on the swim platform with boat in gear and no one at the helm. Figured it would be better to be safe rather than sorry, especially since it could be have been me who paid dearly.

Edited by Surfin247
  • 1 year later...

has anyone had any luck in replacing and / or repairing this part? (lever, part #306494) I have found that the part is unavailable, discontinued. It looks like the spring is broken on mine. I may be able to drill it out, replace the spring, and put another pin in there. But i wanted to see if anyone may have a resource for a new one or tips from someone who has done this...

thanks

Edited by dawnpatrol