Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 or 06 Wakesetter

macgyver10

Looking for a Wakesetter VLX and have found a 2005, 2006, and 2007. I don't think there is much difference between the 06 and 07 and I know the hull is the same on all three. I believe the big difference is the 05 uses mechanical throttle and servo for perfect pass and starting in 2006 they went to electronic control. Is this a big deal? Also, how does Malibu cruise compare to perfect pass? Are there any other reasons to go with 06 over the 05?

"07 went to 2 rear sundeck compartment doors. 05 and 06 had 3.

question....why did they go to 2 door? is it because of the warming tray?

I love my 05 VLX. Compared to my friends boats. the three piece sundeck is much nicer than two. Under my back center cushion I added an 06 warming tray and it fit perfectly. I never have to stop the motor to get a vest from the back or whatever. My friend shuts his motor down on the 07 all the time for safety reasons before opening the compartment even though the warming tray is in there. Then he has issues starting the boat. I have friends with 06 and 07. I know the 06 is in the shop a lot for electrical and computer problems. I was told by him that they went with a new computer that year. Not sure if it is true. Another thing is his carpet stinks all the time cause it holds more water. Granted it is more plush than the 05 but a carpet saver should be installed if you really love the boat. My friend with the 07 has vapor lock issues a lot. He also has automatic wedge problems all the time. The boats were in the shop four to six times last season and the dealer cant find any issues. Lots of down time. Just my 2 cents but the 05 has been solid for me and other people I know. Do a poll on issues to really decide. It's not always about looks and upgrades. Good luck, I hope you get everything you want. Keep us posted. I will sell you my 05 wakesetter. haha

I love my 05 VLX. Compared to my friends boats. the three piece sundeck is much nicer than two. Under my back center cushion I added an 06 warming tray and it fit perfectly. I never have to stop the motor to get a vest from the back or whatever. My friend shuts his motor down on the 07 all the time for safety reasons before opening the compartment even though the warming tray is in there. Then he has issues starting the boat. I have friends with 06 and 07. I know the 06 is in the shop a lot for electrical and computer problems. I was told by him that they went with a new computer that year. Not sure if it is true. Another thing is his carpet stinks all the time cause it holds more water. Granted it is more plush than the 05 but a carpet saver should be installed if you really love the boat. My friend with the 07 has vapor lock issues a lot. He also has automatic wedge problems all the time. The boats were in the shop four to six times last season and the dealer cant find any issues. Lots of down time. Just my 2 cents but the 05 has been solid for me and other people I know. Do a poll on issues to really decide. It's not always about looks and upgrades. Good luck, I hope you get everything you want. Keep us posted. I will sell you my 05 wakesetter. haha

Huh? Never shut mine down because of that, that's just redonkulous. I prefer the look of two doors just cleans up the lines and provides greater access to the rear w/o and extra hinge. To each their own but there is a reason they went away from the 3 piece own. I know a couple w/ '06's and never had an issue, it's not widespread among those model years.

Yes yes sir, it is just per boat I am sure. I am putting down the 06 and 07, but it wasn't what I meant. So the guy I know says if someone leans on it and falls through it drunk or a kid is getting a vest and lifts the warmer gets tangled in the serpentine belt. I know its in the back, just passing the info. It is what it is. Im sure I wouldn't shut it down neither cause I don't allow drunks on the boat. HAHAHA :whistle:

Edited by Pat McCrotch