Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will G3 tower folded clear a standard garage?

Fman

Anyone here have an idea of what size garage opening (height) a G3 tower folded will fit in with 15" wheels on a VLX? I saw a post today on WW someone said the rear bar had to be removed to fit inside the garage. I am hoping my 7' 4" height garage opening will clear the G3 folded without having to remove the rear cross bar. My Supra tower folded fit with no problems and the G3 looks like it is lower than the Supra was.

It may clear a 7'4" door, but if it does, just barely. You should really test fit the boat if there's a question.

They need to offer a straight/straighter cross piece. Without that huge curve in it, it will clear a 7' even door folded down.

It may clear a 7'4" door, but if it does, just barely. You should really test fit the boat if there's a question.

They need to offer a straight/straighter cross piece. Without that huge curve in it, it will clear a 7' even door folded down.

My supra cleared by only about 1", sounds like the Malibu will be pretty close as well. I cant find anything on the malibu website which gives clearance heights. The tow vehicle you use probably also changes the height.

If you find yourself within just a few inches of being able to clear your garage door, there is another option... This is a pic of my last boat with was approx 7'7" at its highest point in the trailer. That is a pic of me fitting it into a 7" standard garage. It had the tower folded forward onto the bow... the windshied was the highest point..

I u-bolted a heavy duty caster (800#) wheel as far back as I could go in order to keep that front joint off the ground by about an inch... I would back it up with the truck about 1/3 into the garage about a foot before the windshield would hit..., unhitch it, then get a jack and lower it down on the caster wheel and shove it back into the garage by hand... 5-10 min process.... cost 35$ in parts from tractor supply. Look closely there and you can see the u bolted caster wheel resting on that orange wheel stop.

I had a strict home owner's association, rule was it could not be in the driveway longer than 24hrs... I did this every weekend for 2 summers... I dont know if I will be able to do the same as easy with the 247, but for winter layup, if my next garage is long enough, I am pretty sure thats the plan to keep it nice..1490275133_3891029587_z.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001

If your garage is 26 feet deep I would be impressed....yes I measure the swim Step and the trailer tongue where it bends as well.. :crazy:

Time to build a Garage around the boat then build a house for the people (familia)

Well figure the bow (because they did a great job of ensuring the 247 trailer joint was behind the bow vs in front requiring more room like my old boat above) to the back of the power wedge... my swim platform comes off in about 20 seconds without tools.. its goe these quick disconnects.. so that'll save you 8-10"...

If your garage is 26 feet deep I would be impressed....yes I measure the swim Step and the trailer tongue where it bends as well.. :crazy:

Time to build a Garage around the boat then build a house for the people (familia)

I miss not having mine at home, My last garage was 12 wide door 8 ft tall and 43 Ft Deep third car bay. I was Spoiled... But we sold it, Now it's your basic two car 24x22.75 Wont even fit sideways.... I park it in the driveway and it Dwarfs my house..lol

Well figure the bow (because they did a great job of ensuring the 247 trailer joint was behind the bow vs in front requiring more room like my old boat above) to the back of the power wedge... my swim platform comes off in about 20 seconds without tools.. its goe these quick disconnects.. so that'll save you 8-10"...

I dont know if you have your boat yet but removing the swim platform does not save you any room because of the wedge....been there tried it sorry :crazy:

You also will need 2 people to remove the platform...its freaking heavy..no Im not the HULK :biggrin:

Or maybe I missed understood your post :whistle:

Edited by Living the Dream

I dont know if you have your boat yet but removing the swim platform does not save you any room because of the wedge....been there tried it sorry :crazy:

You also will need 2 people to remove the platform...its freaking heavy..no Im not the HULK :biggrin:

The garage I store the boat in is 28 feet deep, by 20 feet wide, with a 7' 4" max height on it. Sounds like around 7' is the hitting point, maybe I will get lucky and not have to remove the hoop with the extra 4". As I mentioned the Supra barely cleared, and it has a higher than normal tower height when collapsed. Will have no problems with depth, its the height I was concerned about. Worse case scenario is I have to remove the rear cross bar. As long as she is in the garage, thats all I care about.

The garage I store the boat in is 28 feet deep, by 20 feet wide, with a 7' 4" max height on it. Sounds like around 7' is the hitting point, maybe I will get lucky and not have to remove the hoop with the extra 4". As I mentioned the Supra barely cleared, and it has a higher than normal tower height when collapsed. Will have no problems with depth, its the height I was concerned about. Worse case scenario is I have to remove the rear cross bar. As long as she is in the garage, thats all I care about.

Lucky :rockon::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nope, havent removed the platform yet, I bet it is heavy, seems like something to be done rarely, maybe to squeeze it in somehwere for winter layup...

Its heavy you will need at least 2 sometimes more like 3 people two just to hold the platform and a third to insert the clips...tried it done it :whistle:

It is built well!

If you hang any speakers upgrade both sides of the shocks (if you lower the tower)...dealer will tell you only one side i say both sides...been there done it....

can u not put the wedge down? I do, take of my platform in about 30 seconds....saves me a bunch of room, not exactly sure how much but have to be around 18" with the wedge down. Now I have a floating wedge not power so maybe this is it..........also have a teak platform so not that heavy, one man job.......

can u not put the wedge down? I do, take of my platform in about 30 seconds....saves me a bunch of room, not exactly sure how much but have to be around 18" with the wedge down. Now I have a floating wedge not power so maybe this is it..........also have a teak platform so not that heavy, one man job.......

I take mine off By My Self, and lower the wedge, gives me a little extra room. I get under mine and do like a dead lift, and balance it on my back and shoulders, then set it down on some cushions, Usually my friends Scatter when we get home....lol

Malibu should really offer a rear hoop like this as an option for their customers. This hoop is lower than the highest point on the tower with the tower folded all the way. This allows you to just fold the tower and back it in (Racks need to slide off first though). This easily clears a 7' even door with my VTX on a tandem Extreme trailer. A VLX would also just barely clear the door with this hoop. The hinged area of the tower ends up being the tallest point.

My boat is in and out of my garage 3-4 times a week... Having to remove that hoop everytime woudl have been a deal killer on the boat.

IMG_4908-1.jpg

IMG_4910-1.jpg

You can lower the wedge to gain a little more room. I remove my platform myself, its not that bad but putting in on presents some challenges. Best to have another body to help with the reinstall!

Ditto this. I have a manual wedge, and it saves just as much room. I also have teak, and it's a 1 man job, no problem.

Did you fab that straight bar up yourself? Thats a great idea.

I have the same question for cwkoch. Did you fab that bar or purchase it somewhere? That's a great idea to keep from having to remove the bar every time with a low garage door.

I have the same question for cwkoch. Did you fab that bar or purchase it somewhere? That's a great idea to keep from having to remove the bar every time with a low garage door.

No, I didn't fab it... I'm not going to say where it came from, but Malibu definitely has the ability to make them.... It should be an optional part, and may sell boats to people with low garage doors that aren't going to remove that bar everytime they go in and out of the garage door.... I know it sold at least one for them in 2010 when it came down to their boat, or one that would get me in and out the door faster... :whistle: