Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

automotive style battery terminals

mp3mike05

Any reason people don't use these? My terminal connections must have arched causing the ground wingnut to weld on the battery post.

I had to cut it off but it was a good battery. Why not put automatic terminals on the automotive post? Corrosion?

Battery stays dry and doesn't see salt water

Why not put automotive terminals on the automotive post?

:unsure: My 2000 Sportster uses "automotive" type terminals. :yes:

I believe they used to use the ring terminal to the wing nut post because it's easier to disconnect when not using the boat. The automotive style terminal is more secure, particularly when the connection is faced with the higher frequency rattling / vibration that a car experiences, but boats don't have the same issues as cars with the road vibrations (at least you hope they don't :lol: ) If your boat is sliding down the road, the battery connections are the least of your worries. :shocked::lol:

You can also find the automotive style teminals with a stud for a wing nut if you still want to use that.

I would be more concerned how you could be getting an arc at the post. I am not an electrician but would look into whether a loose nut could cause that kind of heat/arc or whether you might have some issues with the wiring.

Kris

I use some from a car audio shop. Gold plated or whatever. They are screw in wire connections, no crimping and they work well. Course it's the shop I work at, so they're cheap, too.

Whatever makes a good connection and won't come loose is fine.