Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Leaking From Engine!!

itsonlywater

Took the boat out this past weekend, and lifted the engine hatch while running. I noticed a fairly significant amount of water leaking out of the engine at the location shown in the linked picture. I found a picture of an engine online so I could ask the experts here. My engine has some corrosion around the leak indicating this may have been going on for awhile now and I just haven't noticed.

The boat has been running fine but I can't imagine this is a good thing. Can I get so help from the Crew? I'm not sure how to approach this issue!

My link

Edited by itsonlywater

Those are your riser gaskets leaking. Assuming your riser bolts are torqued(31 foot pounds), you need to replace the gaskets ASAP! If the gasket is leaking on the outside, there is a chance it is leaking internally, which is really the main problem. Gaskets are $10 from DIM. Replace both right and left riser gaskets.

Edited by eyepeeler

Great! I'm sure the bolts are torqued - I just hope they aren't frozen. I'll order both right away. I needed to order a couple things from them anyway.

Hopefully, I don't have any internal issues!

Great! I'm sure the bolts are torqued - I just hope they aren't frozen. I'll order both right away. I needed to order a couple things from them anyway.

Hopefully, I don't have any internal issues!

It's most likely just a blown gasket, have you had a overheat lately? A overheat usually causes those riser gaskets to start leaking

Those bolts sometimes get destroyed when you remove them, we sell a kit that includes the gasket and all the replacement hardware to make it for a easier swap. Heres a link to the manifold to riser repair kit for that manifold: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2269

Good luck with the project!

-Paul

It's most likely just a blown gasket, have you had a overheat lately? A overheat usually causes those riser gaskets to start leaking

Those bolts sometimes get destroyed when you remove them, we sell a kit that includes the gasket and all the replacement hardware to make it for a easier swap. Heres a link to the manifold to riser repair kit for that manifold: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2269

-Paul

Paul, should replacing those gaskets be a part of maintenance or just wait until there is a problem?

-Paul

No overheats but my engine seems to run a little warm compared to others ~160 deg. I hope I don't destroy the bolts when removing them because I've already ordered the gaskets :Doh:

I cracked my bolts loose before putting the boat away for the winter since I planning on putting new manifold on in the spring and wanted to make sure getting those bolts out wouldn't be a huge issue. They were really easy to get loose. I doubt they have been touched in 24 years so I would say hopefully your's will be good to go too. Rockon.gif

No overheats but my engine seems to run a little warm compared to others ~160 deg.

A lot of boats that have a heater in them use a 160 thermostat. Used to be recommended by Heatercraft & is certainly no problem in these engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a special tool to use for the allen bolts? On my 8.1 there is literally no room to turn an allen wrench. I'm having a little seepage too.

You can cut down an allen wrench. It is still a pain.

85 Barefoot, you might have to get an allen to socket wrench adapter. It's just a short stub of allen wrench, with an end that can go into a socket. Then you can use a socket wrench with a long extension on it and put all kinds of torque on it.

Not sure if an autozone would have it, but Home Depot should.

Steve B.

Does anyone know a special tool to use for the allen bolts? On my 8.1 there is literally no room to turn an allen wrench. I'm having a little seepage too.

Make sure you're using a ball end allen, you can buy sockets with an extended length ball end allen which is what I've used on the small blocks, but never had to do it with a big block.

-Chris

You can cut down an allen wrench. It is still a pain.

I have that. Problem isn't getting to the bolt but turning it, which is impossible, even with a cut down allen...but thx

Make sure you're using a ball end allen, you can buy sockets with an extended length ball end allen which is what I've used on the small blocks, but never had to do it with a big block.

-Chris

I'm really sorry, but I'm not picturing this set up. picture by any chance?

Shawn beat me too it, that's the idea, the ball end gives you enough angle to get in there.

Another option is to cut down an allen really short (maybe two bolt heads total length) and use a box end wrench or ratcheting wrench to turn the allen.

-Chris

Thanks for the effort guys, but I'm going to have to take a picture. Those tools won't get to the bolt and a cut down allen wrench won't turn due to space limitations, though you can get it on the bolt. There is potential for 99s idea if I used a very very very small/(short) allen and then a wrench though the throttle body area are simply huge on that 8.1 and are a pain to work around.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

You do realize the ball end socket does not go straight down into the bolt but rather can attack it at an angle?

yes.

the top part is design such that in order to get anything to the allen bolt it would have to come at a SUBSTANTIAL angle, but hey, I'll try it....those 3/8" bolts?

A couple of ideas: 1. last resort, take off the entire manifold to elinimate the obstruction (certainly not the ideal solution). 2. create a tool similar to a distributor wrench where there is an offset by welding a vertical riser to a cut down allen wrench. A cobbled way to try: cut down allen, small box end wrench slid over the allen shank, vice grips attached to top or screwdriver through the other box end section of wrench to provide a lever arm to twist the entire mess, lots of patience and a bit of luck!

I'm having the same problem. I've been on vacation for the past week and didn't get to this until yesterday. I've been able to get all of the bolts free using a very short piece cut off of an allen wrench and a needle nonosed vice grip. It only took me 5 hours to get the bolts off! :rant:

The problem I have now is getting the the bolts back on! You can only get a 1/4 turn on the rear bolts and I can get them to bite. Very irritating!! Not to mention I dropped the engine cover on my toe when I was quitting for the day! Going back out to attack it this morning. If anyone has any great suggestions, I'd love to hear them