Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Homebrew MTC

scott_fx

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scott_fx

• martinarcher

• Malibuzer

• ecadwell

some more sanding and first coat of primer to bring out the imperfections:

ddd.jpg

you can really see where the dremel router did some damage up in the upper left hand corner near the screen opening. not a huge issue, just more filling and sanding it's coming along though.

and a little gift came in the mail today:

ddd.jpg

those remotes are waterproof. :)

• 2 weeks later...

haven't updated this in a little while but have made a lot of ground on the project.

ok, so onto the good stuff

Here is more work on the gauge cluster; im still not happy with it, the recessed screen is a !@#$! to sand in the corners.

0f8.jpg

i also received this today:

0f8.jpg

and now the homebrew mtc will get a Power Wedge controller :D

This was actually a the hardest part of the build so far. i dont want to, nor have the time to make my own ic board; yet, i need to flip the polarity in order to move the wedge up and down. Ii figured out how to do it with the usb-io and 4 additional 40amp fuses. the nice part about this; i can run low voltage wire (cat 6 or even telephone cord) from the usb-io under the dash, and have it control the relays placed close to the wedge and batteries.

not sure if anyone will be able to make sense of my chicken scratch but here is the "schematic":

0f8.jpg

i also have gotten into seriously modding the "elite lite" skin for our purposes:

I'm trying to create the skin so that it'll be as painless as possible for you guys to quickly incorporate it into your own system too. should be only a few files and one folder to place in the correct spots.

(ignore the stretching, the screen is an old 4:3 monitor, the touchscreen that will be installed in the boat is a 16:9 aspect ration and everything will resolve itself

Main menu-

ballast button: will bring you to the main ballast screen

wedge button: will bring you to the power wedge control screen

perfect pass button: will bring you to the perfect pass control screen

lights button: will bring you to the light control screen

power button: short press will toggle the perfect pass on/off, long press will start/stop the engine

audio: brings you to the elite skin's audio screen. long press will bring you to the video screen

wake preset: brings you to the wake preset screen

0f8.jpg

Ballast-

short press will toggle pump on/off

long press on any of the 'FILL' buttons will turn off all empty pumps (if any are on) and turn on all fill pumps for 8 mins (or any predetermined amount of time)

long press on any of the 'EMPTY' buttons will turn off all fill pumps (if any are on) and turn on all empty pumps for 8 mins (or any predetermined amount of time)

0f8.jpg

0f8.jpg

Power Wedge-

retract button: will raise the power wedge to it's stowed position

up arrow: will manually raise the wedge (momentary switch, it will only move the wedge as long as you're pressing the button)

down arrow: will manually lower the wedge (momentary switch, it will only move the wedge as long as you're pressing the button)

"large" button: will reset the wedge to the lowest position, then raise it to the highest position of it's functional range (based on time)

"medium" button: will reset the wedge to the lowest position, then raise it to the middle position of it's functional range (based on time)

"small" button: will lower the wedge to it's lowest position

Another forum member and I are brainstorming ways to have a position sensor so that we can turn this into a 'smart' system instead of a blind one. more to come on that in future posts.

0f8.jpg

Perfect Pass-

up arrow/down arrow will adjust speed setting or scroll through menu options (same as stock multi line display)

stargazer logo will access the menu

power button will toggle the power on and off (also accessable from the menu screen)

gps speed will be displayed but derived from the computer's gps dongle, not the perfect pass

0f8.jpg

Wake Preset-

one touch control to set ballast, wedge and perfect pass speed automatically

0f8.jpg

Audio screen-

This is the skin's default audio browser.

0f8.jpg

Edited by scott_fx
martinarcher

Sweet. Looks awesome man.

Nice snag in the Power Wedge. That will be an awesome addition. The skins are tuning out awesome and look very clean and easy to browse through. That's very important. We do a lot of custom HMI work with our controls at work and no matter how bling it is it's useless if it's not easy to use. Nice job!

Good to see someone else that doesn't take "you can't do that to that boat" as an answer, but a challenge. Rockon.gif

Looks like it's all coming together. I just bought a PP module from another crew member, a pile of parts from another, and now need to start installing PP on my old Bu. Rockon.gif Been too busy with exhaust and tower projects to get to it. LOL.gif

Edited by martinarcher

Sweet. Looks awesome man.

Nice snag in the Power Wedge. That will be an awesome addition. The skins are tuning out awesome and look very clean and easy to browse through. That's very important. We do a lot of custom HMI work with our controls at work and no matter how bling it is it's useless if it's not easy to use. Nice job!

Good to see someone else that doesn't take "you can't do that to that boat" as an answer, but a challenge. Rockon.gif

Looks like it's all coming together. I just bought a PP module from another crew member, a pile of parts from another, and now need to start installing PP on my old Bu. Rockon.gif Been too busy with exhaust and tower projects to get to it. LOL.gif

i've been watching your thread closely. i never heard of anyone modding the engine/exhaust of a 'bu. since you're getting a perfect pass... looks like you'll need an mtc next :D

Thanks on the skin compliment. im literally learning as i go. im not a programmer so it's not the quickest thing for me to do! i am loving it though. and the rider runner/usb-io developer is amazing with giving me help as i need it. he literally has added functionality to his software to help out my build. Im really glad i went with this configuration.

Here's my $.02 with the interface... it had better be fast, not crash and be intuitive enough that somebody's non-geek wife can use it. If there's anything I've learned it's that if it's too complicated for my wife, it ain't gonna work, no matter how cool it is. My wife is way smart, but technically remedial. It needs to make sense to her right off the bat or she'll hate it and go into shut-down mode... which is no fun if I'm in the water with the handle in my hand.

Just sayin'.

And believe me the inner geek in me would love to have it do everything it could (gps mapping to the good ride spots, cumulative miles traveled, a bluetooth dongle to download your data when you get home... and like that) but then I see the divorce papers Biggrin.gif

Excellent work so far, looks very nice. FYI, there are more than one that have modded a Bu exhaust! I did a similar mod to what MA is doing. I also did my own dash, I ended up going with a Beede 4-1 cluster guage on the left (it has oil p, water t, fuel level, volts in one 5" unit) and the Accuski unit on the right side above the throttle for easy access and was able to squeexe in a clock and hourmeter along the bottom. Two Airguides surrounding the tach in the center as my goal was to keep 2 Airguides rather than replace one with the speed control unit which is what is commonly done. I also mounted the guages from the rear to make a cleaner install, but as you noted any repair requires the removal of the dash itself, but I really like the clean look.

Here's my $.02 with the interface... it had better be fast, not crash and be intuitive enough that somebody's non-geek wife can use it. If there's anything I've learned it's that if it's too complicated for my wife, it ain't gonna work, no matter how cool it is. My wife is way smart, but technically remedial. It needs to make sense to her right off the bat or she'll hate it and go into shut-down mode... which is no fun if I'm in the water with the handle in my hand.

Just sayin'.

And believe me the inner geek in me would love to have it do everything it could (gps mapping to the good ride spots, cumulative miles traveled, a bluetooth dongle to download your data when you get home... and like that) but then I see the divorce papers Biggrin.gif

that is a valid point. as with my media center, i quickly realize how frustrating it can be for other people to control it. the learning curve needs to be near flat in this boat. that is the main reason why i made the 'preset' screen. one click and it'll set everything for you. for instance.

if she presses the 'scott' preset it will:

• turn the ballast fill pumps on
  • set the perfect pass to 21 mph
  • deploy the wedge
  • shut off the fill pumps

I'm not sure how hard the Malibu MTC is to navigate but If there is a better way or layout that i could incorporate, i'd love to hear suggestions.

Excellent work so far, looks very nice. FYI, there are more than one that have modded a Bu exhaust! I did a similar mod to what MA is doing. I also did my own dash, I ended up going with a Beede 4-1 cluster guage on the left (it has oil p, water t, fuel level, volts in one 5" unit) and the Accuski unit on the right side above the throttle for easy access and was able to squeexe in a clock and hourmeter along the bottom. Two Airguides surrounding the tach in the center as my goal was to keep 2 Airguides rather than replace one with the speed control unit which is what is commonly done. I also mounted the guages from the rear to make a cleaner install, but as you noted any repair requires the removal of the dash itself, but I really like the clean look.

it's awesome stuff. i love the diy nature of the exhaust mod. it gives me something to read and appreciate while i have downtime at work. :)

I'll have to check out your dash for ideas. not sure if i'm going to rip out the screen from this one or not. and would love to see what you did. can you link me to some pics :)

Edited by scott_fx

that is a valid point. as with my media center, i quickly realize how frustrating it can be for other people to control it. the learning curve needs to be near flat in this boat. that is the main reason why i made the 'preset' screen. one click and it'll set everything for you. for instance.

if she presses the 'scott' preset it will:

• turn the ballast fill pumps on
  • set the perfect pass to 21 mph
  • deploy the wedge
  • shut off the fill pumps

I'm not sure how hard the Malibu MTC is to navigate but If there is a better way or layout that i could incorporate, i'd love to hear suggestions.

it's awesome stuff. i love the diy nature of the exhaust mod. it gives me something to read and appreciate while i have downtime at work. :)

I'll have to check out your dash for ideas. not sure if i'm going to rip out the screen from this one or not. and would love to see what you did. can you link me to some pics :)

My suggestion would be to beta test with everyone who will be in your boat and then with every boating person you know to see if they "get it".

martinarcher

i've been watching your thread closely. i never heard of anyone modding the engine/exhaust of a 'bu. since you're getting a perfect pass... looks like you'll need an mtc next :D

Thanks on the skin compliment. im literally learning as i go. im not a programmer so it's not the quickest thing for me to do! i am loving it though. and the rider runner/usb-io developer is amazing with giving me help as i need it. he literally has added functionality to his software to help out my build. Im really glad i went with this configuration.

LOL.gif You know how to tempt me all too well! There's no dount I'll eventually have to add my own MTC as well. It's good to see I'll have a skin and screen set-up ready to go. Yahoo.gif

Sounds like you really picked a good device with the USB I/O. Pretty cool stuff. Are you running the the USB protocol over CAT5 or CAT6? If you are be sure to run shielded cable...also remember USB is sensitive to cable length and capacitance.

martinarcher

Right on! Woodski is a big reason why my Bu is getting all 4" exhaust. He helped me out big time with pics and advice from his set-up. He's got one kick butt motor he's built that I'm pretty sure would toast most all the Bu's on the board. Rockon.gif

LOL.gif You know how to tempt me all too well! There's no dount I'll eventually have to add my own MTC as well. It's good to see I'll have a skin and screen set-up ready to go. Yahoo.gif

Sounds like you really picked a good device with the USB I/O. Pretty cool stuff. Are you running the the USB protocol over CAT5 or CAT6? If you are be sure to run shielded cable...also remember USB is sensitive to cable length and capacitance.

the two usb-io's that control the ballast pumps are connected via a 16ft usb repeater with a usb hub at the end of it (i may drop the hub and just get a second repeater)

the remaining two are connected with 2ft usb cables to the motherboard

the cat6 idea is just to connect the relay output of the usb-io to the automotive relays at the rear of the boat

martinarcher

the two usb-io's that control the ballast pumps are connected via a 16ft usb repeater with a usb hub at the end of it (i may drop the hub and just get a second repeater)

the remaining two are connected with 2ft usb cables to the motherboard

the cat6 idea is just to connect the relay output of the usb-io to the automotive relays at the rear of the boat

Cool. Your good to go then since the that will all be shielded gear. Rockon.gif

here are a few video of the setup as it stands right now:

interface:

power wedge:

Edited by scott_fx

the box to the right was for my calibration tests. it is pretty consistent when hitting the presets. it hits its mark every time

Edited by scott_fx

my first failure came today when my usb dac doesn't play nicely with the usb-io controllers. fortunately onboard audio works flawlessly. i'll just use the jl audio device as a line driver and everything should be fine. and less parts. i guess i can't be too sad. :)

I have yet to really read this thread but every time I see the title, "homebrew" I think it has to do with making homemade beer. :woot:

Scott, this looks great so far. One thing I would caution about on the wedge would be the safety lock out once it is in the deployed position. If you can I would integrate the speedo into the "up" function. This is the way the Malibu power wedge is set up. This should prevent any accidents with some one playing with the wedge control while people are in the water around the platform.

Other wise this looks amazing!

Could you elaborate on that? I'm a bit unclear but appreciate the input

by integrating the speedo into the up function. would you suggest that it can only be adjust while we are underway?

Edited by scott_fx

The power wedge is not allowed to move up unless the boat is moving. I can't remember the speed , but you get the idea. EWven 5 mph would be a good lock out. It keeps the hands and feet attached to the swimmers!

The power wedge is not allowed to move up unless the boat is moving. I can't remember the speed , but you get the idea. EWven 5 mph would be a good lock out. It keeps the hands and feet attached to the swimmers!

oh great. thanks. i'll work on that now. that's going to be a tough one for me, but i think i can have a variable based on the gps speed. time to research

oh great. thanks. i'll work on that now. that's going to be a tough one for me, but i think i can have a variable based on the gps speed. time to research

If it is that programmable you should be able to do some boolean logic? It would be really easy to integrate if you have the ability to use that GPS speed and set the permissive above 5 mph or so.

If it is that programmable you should be able to do some boolean logic? It would be really easy to integrate if you have the ability to use that GPS speed and set the permissive above 5 mph or so.

oh it is... i'm just not a programmer. so i'll have to figure out the correct syntax and all that fun stuff. :) i'm sure it's easy for someone that knows what they are doing, for me...it'll be more of a challenge :)

Looking awesome man.

What is the software written in? I'm sure I could help you out with the underway wedge logic.

hmm... im not sure lol. i'll find out. im just modifying the skin (.xml i think) and it's probably just a syntax issue. i've looked at documentation and i just ordered the gps dongle so i'll start playing around with the safety logic when it comes in. then i'll bug you if i need any heavy lifting. :)

thank you very much.