Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Surf Set Up!

BIG JAY

the jabsco pumps are nice for space reasons. being able to mount them down low in the bilge or storage areas is ideal that way they get good water flow, they are nice because you can do your thru hull fitting where ever you would like and hose to where ever it is you would like to mount the jabsco pump. i have found that right behind the exhaust muffler is a nice low and cool place. the pump board i build slides right in behind the exhaust and gets good water flow since it is at the transom of the boat.

hit me with any other questions you may have.

Hey Jay,

I'm looking at a custom sac for my 23 LSV. Im going with 2 jabscos for the one sac... Where should I have the 2 fill/drain locations? I was thinking of putting both, at the back of the body near the bottom of the sac... What would you recommend?

Thanks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BIG JAY

• old skool malibu

• nyryan2001

• Stanley Wheelhouse

Hey Jay,

I'm looking at a custom sac for my 23 LSV. Im going with 2 jabscos for the one sac... Where should I have the 2 fill/drain locations? I was thinking of putting both, at the back of the body near the bottom of the sac... What would you recommend?

Thanks

Ryan - Give Gord Quitsberg @ Wizard Lake Marine in Calmar a ring. He has done tons of custom systems. I went with the aerator style pump on my set up but he did my buddies VTX with the Jabso's and it turned out slick. He even put in 2 diverter valves to fill the side and front bags once the rear is finished filling.

Ryan - Give Gord Quitsberg @ Wizard Lake Marine in Calmar a ring. He has done tons of custom systems. I went with the aerator style pump on my set up but he did my buddies VTX with the Jabso's and it turned out slick. He even put in 2 diverter valves to fill the side and front bags once the rear is finished filling.

I briefly talked to him. Definetly going to call him back.

Ya, those Y valves are pretty cool.

Congrats on the new board. You'll love it.

I briefly talked to him. Definetly going to call him back.

Ya, those Y valves are pretty cool.

Congrats on the new board. You'll love it.

Cool - let him you were talking to me (Rob) and if you want some picks of Marc's set up let me know.

• 2 months later...

May have to eat my words on the Jabsco's! Think I may go with them for the new boat as they are optimum for a plug and play type system. By that I mean using two Jabsco's for 4 bags. 2 in the lockers and one on the seat and one in the bow with the use of the nifty diverter valve you can see on Bakes site.

My question is do you drain through the through hulll in the bottom of the boat as Natique does or do you add in a check valve and a T and drain out the side. What did you do on your set up Big Jay?

• 2 weeks later...

May have to eat my words on the Jabsco's! Think I may go with them for the new boat as they are optimum for a plug and play type system. By that I mean using two Jabsco's for 4 bags. 2 in the lockers and one on the seat and one in the bow with the use of the nifty diverter valve you can see on Bakes site.

My question is do you drain through the through hulll in the bottom of the boat as Natique does or do you add in a check valve and a T and drain out the side. What did you do on your set up Big Jay?

He fills and drains from the same thru hull. He also doesn't use a vent line.

He fills and drains from the same thru hull. He also doesn't use a vent line.

Just went back in the thread. It looks like from the pics posted on Feb 18 that he drains through the side of the hull. But you are correct no vent line needed.

Just went back in the thread. It looks like from the pics posted on Feb 18 that he drains through the side of the hull. But you are correct no vent line needed.

Don't impeller pumps just run backwards and shoot the water back out the other way?

I run two Jabsco pumps for my surf sacs on my LSV. One hose to each pump and one hose to each sac. No vent or drain hose. Water goes in & out the same hose. The pump will drain the sacs flat. You have to get the air out of the sac the first time you fill it but after that I haven't had to burp the sacs one time. Since I'm not throwing pumps over the side anymore, there is no water coming into the boat from filling or draining the ballast. I can leave the sacs in place when they are drained without worrying about wet carpet under the sacs.

I run two Jabsco pumps for my surf sacs on my LSV. One hose to each pump and one hose to each sac. No vent or drain hose. Water goes in & out the same hose. The pump will drain the sacs flat. You have to get the air out of the sac the first time you fill it but after that I haven't had to burp the sacs one time. Since I'm not throwing pumps over the side anymore, there is no water coming into the boat from filling or draining the ballast. I can leave the sacs in place when they are drained without worrying about wet carpet under the sacs.

Gotta love that!

So, you can plumb them in the bottom of the hull, right next to the factory ones, go straight to a bag.... Fill like normal, and just throw it in reverse and drain right back thru the same hole in the hull bottom?

No issues? Sounds attractively simple...

Yep. Gotta add switches & wiring for both pumps.

Let me add that you have to visually monitor the sacs since you don't have an overflow out the side of the boat to tell you when it's full. Same with draining the sacs, there is not a stream out the side of the boat to tell you when the sacs are empty. Good thing is the pumps are fast and it doesn't take long to fill or drain.

I may be wrong but Malibu 247 has 1450 total ballast weight factory. Will be filling surf side left tank/ center tank/ bow tank along with the custom surf sac= 2,650 :rockon: we will use the wedge to clean up the pocket and pull the back of the boat down more. If they surf goofy footed= 2,300 :crazy: Like i said these are all just ball park numbers true weight is hard to figure.

MY STOCK 2010 23 LSV....the surf is MUCH closer to the boat.Is this on account of all the extra weight or am I doing something wrong?

Don't impeller pumps just run backwards and shoot the water back out the other way?

Yes but you can add a check valve so the water shoots out the side. Here is a diagram

post-4887-033614600 1322971823_thumb.jpg

Ronnie, did you mount your 2 Jabscos near your factory pumps on the hull near the tranny?

So your entire system: Brass thru hull, sea c***, hose to Jabsco, Jabsco, hose to bag, then bag?

That's it?

I mounted them on the wall above the trans. They need to be mounted where they are fairly easy to access for impeller changes.

Thru Hull, Ball Valve, pump, bag. The connection to the bag is a Quick Connect so I can take out the bags easily if needed. I run two extra bags to surf on the port side, one in the locker, the other under the port seat. With the quick connect I can fill a bag in the starboard side locker if needed for goofy surf friends but we don't usually run that side.

I don't trailer my boat. Spencer at Wakemakers told me he has heard some customers talk about air getting into the sacs when trailering with this type of system through the open thru hull. If I had that trouble, I would just close the ball valves before trailering.

I mounted them on the wall above the trans. They need to be mounted where they are fairly easy to access for impeller changes.

Thru Hull, Ball Valve, pump, bag. The connection to the bag is a Quick Connect so I can take out the bags easily if needed. I run two extra bags to surf on the port side, one in the locker, the other under the port seat. With the quick connect I can fill a bag in the starboard side locker if needed for goofy surf friends but we don't usually run that side.

I don't trailer my boat. Spencer at Wakemakers told me he has heard some customers talk about air getting into the sacs when trailering with this type of system through the open thru hull. If I had that trouble, I would just close the ball valves before trailering.

Ronnie - can you post a pic of where your pumps are mounted. You drained out the fill hold correct?

Not easily. The boat is put away in the warehouse and it's pretty dark in there to be taking pics. It's pretty simple really. Drill holes in the bottom for the new thru hulls. The sacs fill and drain from the bottom. I mounted my switches at the rear of the boat. Some one is always back there monitoring the drain and fill so they work the switches.

Yep. Gotta add switches & wiring for both pumps.

Let me add that you have to visually monitor the sacs since you don't have an overflow out the side of the boat to tell you when it's full. Same with draining the sacs, there is not a stream out the side of the boat to tell you when the sacs are empty. Good thing is the pumps are fast and it doesn't take long to fill or drain.

I would be a little worried about someone (my button pushing kids specifically) hitting the fill switch and not noticing it... It seems the thru hull out the side with the check valve would be simple enough... I wonder how a surf sac would fit in a VTX?

I would be a little worried about someone (my button pushing kids specifically) hitting the fill switch and not noticing it... It seems the thru hull out the side with the check valve would be simple enough... I wonder how a surf sac would fit in a VTX?

Not good for goofy

The switches are under the corner seat.

• 5 months later...

SOOOOO finished the install late last night, just need to fill the bags and check everything over one last time. Also need to relocate the fuel vent tonight but then it will be complete.

Where did you relocate the fuel vent too?

Edited by Colorado Boat'n

The dealers will move it up a few feet more towards the center of the boat. I would think the problem with that is you gotta leave the old fuel vent in place and seal it off or it you remove you have a hole in your fiberglass.

So, you can plumb them in the bottom of the hull, right next to the factory ones, go straight to a bag.... Fill like normal, and just throw it in reverse and drain right back thru the same hole in the hull bottom?

No issues? Sounds attractively simple...

But you have to watch the bag. So I prefer a more idiotproof approach and go ahead with the extra through hull, 3 way and check valves. But I think guys like BIg Jay don't leave the bag alone. I am sure I would get distracted and my bag would pop a plug and I would have 1100 pounds of water in my bilge. I think it boils down to personal preference.

Yes but you can add a check valve so the water shoots out the side. Here is a diagram

Edited by TallRedRider
  • 8 months later...