Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Surf Set Up!

BIG JAY

Jay do you test the bags with the boat on the trailer? I am losing water but I am hesitant to fill the system with the boat on the trainer (boatmate). I thought about putting a floor jack under the trainer bunks to not over load the brackets. but I only have an 1100 in the trunk not 1600 like you.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BIG JAY

• old skool malibu

• nyryan2001

• Stanley Wheelhouse

Forgot 1 more question. I tied the bag vent into the tank vent line and now when the built in tank fills it pushes air into the bag. Did you added separate vent line for the bag to prevent this?

C28 = This is a complete diffrent system from the factory setup. the style you are talking about a "piggy back system" does need a vent on the bag since you are taking the vent off the factory hard tanks to fill your surf bag.

C28 = I will not be filling the 1600 surf sac all the way, just enough to check all my conections and make sure they are good. Filling the bag all the way is no problem on the trailer, had to do it ounce before on another boat, to change the prop out to the 14.5 x 14.25 prop. didnt effect the boat or trailer.

just always remember to fill your factory hard tank first!

Thanks, I installed the 1200 pumps like you did to fill the bag but I thought I could get faster fill time by having the overflow vent line from the hard tank help fill the 1100 bag. Do you think it better to only use the 1200 pump? If I eliminate the vent to the bag how do you know when its full?

Vista220Medium.jpg

p004.jpg

p005.jpg

Big Jay, thanks, approx how much money did it cost for your setup? pumps, hose, switches, fittings, wiring, thru hulls etc? not coutning the fatsacs?

I am stuck with the ONE manual Tsunami pump for now unless I want a divorce, but perhaps towards the end of summer...

C28= the system i installed doesn't need a vent, the first time you fill the bag i just pop one of the fittings off the top so air vents out, after that the bag is pretty much an air tight deal with no future air ever coming in. when draing the bags the pumps suck the bag dry "Almost". kinda like drinking an old juice box.

NYRYAN= For a complete ballast install pumps, fittings, hose, wiring, switchs, custom panels, drain fittings, thru hull fittings, anti flow back valves, hose clamps, square tubing etc etc etc... plus 25 hours worth of labor = $3,500 ball park

Big Jay, thanks, approx how much money did it cost for your setup? pumps, hose, switches, fittings, wiring, thru hulls etc? not coutning the fatsacs?

I am stuck with the ONE manual Tsunami pump for now unless I want a divorce, but perhaps towards the end of summer...

I had my system installed at my BU dealer including 750 Fly Highs, 4 Piranah Pumps (stock BU pumps) and stock rocker switches, plus 2 new fill and 2 new drain holes drilled. Total cost was approx $1200 ish CDN.

Thanks, I installed the 1200 pumps like you did to fill the bag but I thought I could get faster fill time by having the overflow vent line from the hard tank help fill the 1100 bag. Do you think it better to only use the 1200 pump? If I eliminate the vent to the bag how do you know when its full?

Vista220Medium.jpg

p004.jpg

p005.jpg

I think i know know what you are telling me. you have a pump that fills your surf bag, as well as a factory pump that is filling your hard tank, then you have the over flow from the hard tank filling your surf bag. RIGHT? if that is the case the over flow from the tank is pushing air into the surf bag... RIGHT? to set it up correctly and leave the overflow from the hard tank and the vent line coming off the surf bag, you will need to put an anti flow back valve on the surf bags vent so it will not suck air in BUT will push air out... Kinda understand what i am saying...???

Like the Jabsco system i put in i dont run any vent lines off the surf bag because there is no air in the bag to begin...

Ryan you don't need to add extra switches if you don't want to. You have an AUX position on your medallion box you can tie into if you want. This will let you run fill pumps for instance, and on the drain pumps you can tie into your stock drain pumps and up the amperage on the fuse in the medalliion box. This setup has worked well for me. If you are using a jabsco or johnson pump like big J does you want extra switches so you don't burn them up though. I'm running a custom sac a little bigger than they are using in their 247's in my 23, unless they are using the the same sac I designed for my boat.

Jay thanks I think I need to eliminate the vent from the bag and put it back to only vent the hard tank. So once you "burp" the bag there is no air that sounds good but with out a vent does that mean you need to watch it and kill the fill pump once its full?

We fill the bag on the way to our riding spot with the trunk lids closed.

Can you over fill the bag with out a vent?

Ryan you don't need to add extra switches if you don't want to. You have an AUX position on your medallion box you can tie into if you want. This will let you run fill pumps for instance, and on the drain pumps you can tie into your stock drain pumps and up the amperage on the fuse in the medalliion box. This setup has worked well for me. If you are using a jabsco or johnson pump like big J does you want extra switches so you don't burn them up though. I'm running a custom sac a little bigger than they are using in their 247's in my 23, unless they are using the the same sac I designed for my boat.

We just added a 380 tube under the observers seat to make up for the difference in length of sac. Our rear lockers are so full he had to remove the glove / rope / whatever you want to put in there holder on the large hatch doors because the large hatch doors lift up when the sac is over filled.

Your sac may be bigger but......Our wave is the biggest and longest in the business.....it is also uncut.....

The Jabsco Pumps will burn Malibu Switches..

Jay thanks I think I need to eliminate the vent from the bag and put it back to only vent the hard tank. So once you "burp" the bag there is no air that sounds good but with out a vent does that mean you need to watch it and kill the fill pump once its full

We fill the bag on the way to our riding spot with the trunk lids closed.

Can you over fill the bag with out a vent?

We run four sacs on our boat. We drain and fill on the way to and from our surf SPOTZ. None of them have vent lines. We had them initially but were losing water weight while under way thru the vent lines. Keep an eye on things without overflow vents and you will be fine. I think it is a bad idea to have a pump pouring water into your boat unmanned. That is the pilot in me though.

thanks guys. I have a lot to learn... seems like a lot of folks spend a lot of time redoing and redoing their systems to work out all the kinks....

Big Jay has more experience than most. He is a certified Malibu Mechanic. It says a lot for me to bring my 08 247 to someone and say go for it. Obviously I was well pleased. Because I brought my 2010 247 and gave him Carte Blanch once again. That included drilling several wholes in a hull that had never seen water. He will do the same on my 201.....Of course after the surf couch is designed out of the hull and we are quite happy with the 2010.

There are a thousand ways to do this. I am not saying ours is the end all be all. But it WORKS DAMN GOOD!!!!!

You have all just experienced the Wisdom of Wheelhouse. Go forth and be.

$1200 sounds like a good price for a Piranah 2 Pump System.

Yes not a bad price Big Jay...2 fill, 2 drain, plus 2 through hull fittings to fill and 2 through hull for drain, 2 stock MLS switches and 2 750 Fly High bags. Pretty happy with the finished product. I wanted to stick with the stock pumps but I did use the Jabsco's on my last boat and have no complaints. The Jabson's are expensive, but durable and never had any issues!

We just added a 380 tube under the observers seat to make up for the difference in length of sac. Our rear lockers are so full he had to remove the glove / rope / whatever you want to put in there holder on the large hatch doors because the large hatch doors lift up when the sac is over filled.

Your sac may be bigger but......Our wave is the biggest and longest in the business.....it is also uncut.....

The Jabsco Pumps will burn Malibu Switches..

Big Jay has more experience than most. He is a certified Malibu Mechanic. It says a lot for me to bring my 08 247 to someone and say go for it. Obviously I was well pleased. Because I brought my 2010 247 and gave him Carte Blanch once again. That included drilling several wholes in a hull that had never seen water. He will do the same on my 201.....Of course after the surf couch is designed out of the hull and we are quite happy with the 2010.

There are a thousand ways to do this. I am not saying ours is the end all be all. But it WORKS DAMN GOOD!!!!!

You have all just experienced the Wisdom of Wheelhouse. Go forth and be.

Everyone has already heard you scream that from the rooftops for months now. It's nice I wasn't trying to compare it to mine. I went with one sac hidden away for a reason, I was sic of having sacs laying around the seats. I went as big as I could. How many other sacs are you running in your boat, still running that one on the platform, how many on the seats? Not sure what uncut means? The jabsco's will burn switches unless you run relays (little install tip for you).

"I am not saying ours is the end all be all." Actually I think you did, several times in fact.

Edited by 06vlx

Everyone has already heard you scream that from the rooftops for months now. It's nice I wasn't trying to compare it to mine. I went with one sac hidden away for a reason, I was sic of having sacs laying around the seats. I went as big as I could. How many other sacs are you running in your boat, still running that one on the platform, how many on the seats? Not sure what uncut means? The jabsco's will burn switches unless you run relays (little install tip for you).

"I am not saying ours is the end all be all." Actually I think you did, several times in fact.

Gents - not sure it really matters who has a "bigger wave" or what ever we are comparing. :whistle: I think it really comes down to is the having a good time on the water with friends! You guys both have some sick waves and pretty nice rides to! :rockon: Carry on....

Gents - not sure it really matters who has a "bigger wave" or what ever we are comparing. :whistle: I think it really comes down to is the having a good time on the water with friends! You guys both have some sick waves and pretty nice rides to! :rockon: Carry on....

That was my point, I wasn't trying to compare anything.

Edit: And happy birthday to you by the way....

Edited by 06vlx

06: The reaaaaaal question here is: Is your crew ""sick like that""? Once you answer this question all else will become clear and you will realize your wake & ballast system is inferior. :biggrin:

06: The reaaaaaal question here is: Is your crew ""sick like that""? Once you answer this question all else will become clear and you will realize your wake & ballast system is inferior. :biggrin:

Your post wins funny post of the day :thumbup: made me chuckle...

Sick like that - The desire to make a massive wake surf wave that already has tons of power length and height more powerful longer and higher A crew who sees their boat as nothing more than a wave machine. Makers of wakesurf waves who seek to always improve what is already great through trial error and experience.

Your crew is always after the perfect wake surf wave. Your crew is sick like that.

Ballast system inferior? There are a thousand ways to do this and in know way is our way the end all be all......Anyone hear an echo?

Wave Inferior? YES. Wheelhouse is quite proud of his creation.

The Wheelhouse wave is the biggest wave in Wake Surfing. It has been perfected through trial and error across 3 247 Hulls 1500 plus hours on the boats a lot of gas ballast fittings oil changes and boards and riders.....

Wheelhouse's mechanical knowledge of relay switches? Questionable. THANK GOD FOR BIG JAY!

Edited by Stanley Wheelhouse
  • 5 weeks later...

More pictures

Jay, Do you have a link to the type of through hull that you put in there? Or a better picture? Does not look like the standard threaded mushroom I have seen done in the past.

Like the Jabsco system i put in i dont run any vent lines off the surf bag because there is no air in the bag to begin...

Aren't you worried about the bag exploding due to the pressure created by the pump? Someone above mentioned that you must be watching the sack to know when it is full and turn off the pump at that time, am I understanding this right?

OK so first time out surfing yesterday...

So we ran full ballast, bow, center and right rear... minus the LR tank, all were goofy.. full tank, 3 folks..

+ an 1100lb sac in the RR locker... could only get 85% full or so. compartment fills before sac...

+ an additional 1100lb bow sac about 85% full... next time we will go 100% here..

+ an 750lb sac running under the right side seats about 85% full, compartment fills up before sac...

we ran the wedge all the way down in the locked position, to a just a few taps back from the down locked position...wedge definitly helped grow the wave 1-2 taps back up from the down locked position, any higher than that it messed the wave up considerably..

I was initially worried about swamping the bow under a wave with all the weight in the bow.... no issues, just come off plan reasonably, let the 2-3 rollers pass you before turning..., dont power turn at slower speeds, you def would swamp the bow under a wave...

I checked but didnt see any issues with the engine wall bending due to the weight of the sac...not yet...

Takes 15-20 mins and a huge PITA to fill all those sacs with the tsunami pump. Terrible, but $1-2K isnt in the budget for that right now... (and ensure the retard filling the 1100lb in the RR hatch ensures the drain valve for the RR sac is centered in the opening so as it fills the volve isnt hidden under a ledge, you'll beat hell trying to reattach the Tsunami to drain it after you disconnect it :whistle: )

Otherwise huge waves in all the different configurations...ropeless pocket around 8-10ft long or more, and I am at 195lbs..definitly need to work on dialing it in.. speed, weight, wedge etc ect... and definitly will likely keep someone on the surf seat to ensure newer surfers dont run into the back of the boat...huge steep wave makes it real easy to gain speed further back and run right up into the back of the boat...

Initially the RR tank drain pump failed to work...checked the fuses and the fuse somehow worked its way loose...push it back in and it worked immediately...I have two 12" subs, perhaps all the bass worked it loose i donno...

I need a faster board!

OK so first time out surfing yesterday...

So we ran full ballast, bow, center and right rear... minus the LR tank, all were goofy.. full tank, 3 folks..

+ an 1100lb sac in the RR locker... could only get 85% full or so. compartment fills before sac...

+ an additional 1100lb bow sac about 85% full... next time we will go 100% here..

+ an 750lb sac running under the right side seats about 85% full, compartment fills up before sac...

we ran the wedge all the way down in the locked position, to a just a few taps back from the down locked position...wedge definitly helped grow the wave 1-2 taps back up from the down locked position, any higher than that it messed the wave up considerably..

I was initially worried about swamping the bow under a wave with all the weight in the bow.... no issues, just come off plan reasonably, let the 2-3 rollers pass you before turning..., dont power turn at slower speeds, you def would swamp the bow under a wave...

I checked but didnt see any issues with the engine wall bending due to the weight of the sac...not yet...

Takes 15-20 mins and a huge PITA to fill all those sacs with the tsunami pump. Terrible, but $1-2K isnt in the budget for that right now... (and ensure the retard filling the 1100lb in the RR hatch ensures the drain valve for the RR sac is centered in the opening so as it fills the volve isnt hidden under a ledge, you'll beat hell trying to reattach the Tsunami to drain it after you disconnect it :whistle: )

Otherwise huge waves in all the different configurations...ropeless pocket around 8-10ft long or more, and I am at 195lbs..definitly need to work on dialing it in.. speed, weight, wedge etc ect... and definitly will likely keep someone on the surf seat to ensure newer surfers dont run into the back of the boat...huge steep wave makes it real easy to gain speed further back and run right up into the back of the boat...

Initially the RR tank drain pump failed to work...checked the fuses and the fuse somehow worked its way loose...push it back in and it worked immediately...I have two 12" subs, perhaps all the bass worked it loose i donno...

I need a faster board!

Interesting you are running so much additional weight up front, I havent heard of others using that much bow weight. Do you think with all that weight up front in may lower your wave height? I have run a 400 lb sac in the front but on the surf side to help list the boat. The only reason I run it in the bow is there is not enough room on the starboard side on a VTX.

Could be...it was such a PITA filling a draining with the Tsunami pump we opted for more board time than switching setups and redistributing weight... we did do lots of playing around with speeds and wedge...as you can do that easy while someone is surfing....My 1100 bow sac is that triangular one so it evenly distributes the weight across the entire bow, not just the surfside... I guess I could play around with the weight, and also offset it some so it is up on the gunnel on the surfside to get some more lean in the front there...but I was pleased no real problems I saw running that much weight in the bow...

We did find that the wave was huge and steep at 10.5....but also slow..and I would bog down easier... I am 195- 200lbs and felt I could maneuver a lot more on a slightly shorter but faster wave at 12.5ish, was able to get some slight hops off the wave... the guy I was surfing with prob weighed 170ish maybe... and he could stay on the wave a lot further back than me, I think 30lbs does make quite a difference... also we were on older cheap boards...liquidforce 5'7" and a hyperlight 5" or so... I'd like to get into a composite much faster board...