Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

247 Surf Set Up!

BIG JAY

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BIG JAY

• old skool malibu

• nyryan2001

• Stanley Wheelhouse

Terrific!

Wow, you are doing an entire additional system, new pumps, switches and everything else.... is it not effective to tie it in to the existing system with the existing pumps and the touch command?

Just started a project for a custom Surf setup. Thought i would post some pictures as i do the work.

That is one expensive set-up. Those Jabsco's dont come cheap. I had 2 in my Sunsetter. Nice pumps but I actually prefer the Pirana. Less power draw, nice and fast and cheap! But the Jabsco's do have a loyal following. I think MasterRaft, Supreme and I am sure others use the Jabsco as their stock pump.

That is one expensive set-up. Those Jabsco's dont come cheap. I had 2 in my Sunsetter. Nice pumps but I actually prefer the Pirana. Less power draw, nice and fast and cheap! But the Jabsco's do have a loyal following. I think MasterRaft, Supreme and I am sure others use the Jabsco as their stock pump.

True. That's why I went with the live well style pumps. They are so much faster and are dirt cheap. Another big one is they can be left on with no damage.

You just need a way to keep water from flowing out of the bag with another method (valve or solenoid) since water will go right through them.

Is that why you use the Jabsco's Jay? To keep the water where you put it with the impeller?

True. That's why I went with the live well style pumps. They are so much faster and are dirt cheap. Another big one is they can be left on with no damage.

You just need a way to keep water from flowing out of the bag with another method (valve or solenoid) since water will go right through them.

Is that why you use the Jabsco's Jay? To keep the water where you put it with the impeller?

I was on the fence about JABSCO vs. aerator style as well, and I am going to go with the new RULE Tournament 1100's, they pump 1100 gallons per hour, over 18 gallons per minute and have an easy 3/4" inlet to 1" outlet to adapt to fittings (unlike the the Tsunami 1200's). They will fill a 750 lb sac in approx 5 minutes. I am running a "T" off the drain plug in the Vdrive area so I wont have to drill any new holes in the boat. You can get about 2000 gallons per hour out of a 3/4" thru hull intake. I will only be using the pump for surfing, so only one pump will be filling at a time. I will have seperate pumps for each 750 lb sac in each ski locker. Also using the RULE 1100's to drain the bags with seperate fill/drain toggle switches. System will be completely seperate from the MLS.

There are so many way to do it, will be fun to watch Jay post up his pictures. I wont be installing mine until April sometime.

Edited by Fman

yes i am using the Jabsco pumps cuz they do not gravity drain and they are dual fill and drain. have alot of customers who have had there pumps for over 5 years and still work like new. i will be installing two custom surf sacs yes two pumps per sac fill and drain time cut in half. the boat i am doing this on is a 2008 Malibu wakesetter.

i will post more pictures as i go along. just started monday with over 150 pounds worth of parts and still cutting out some custom parts. been alil sick this week so have not felt like pulling the standard all nighter yet, but soon.

went to the lake this morning, lake temp is at 62 and the air temp is up in the 70's so its almost surf season. ill be staying late again tonight to do alittle more work so ill have more pictures tomorrow morning.

all parts used are Malibu, fly high, jabsco and lowes for SS and brass parts.

this is a project that takes alot of time if you are going to do it right so bare with me. the Jabsco and Johnson pumps are the best pumps to use on any surf sac/ aftermarket set up, mainly cuz the custom surf sacs put out so much weight and pressure. if you are thinking of doing a system trust me i have tried each and every one. tried and true!

BIG JAY the complete 4 pump additional ballast system you put in Sparkles is the S H I T!!!!!!Rockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

We love it and it is without a doubt the best boating investment i have made. The quality of the work is second to none.

Tying into the factory system is a bad idea as the drain and fill time is slower than Christmas in January

Just about done, little wiring left to do with added breakers along with a few more panels left to cut out and she will be ready for the lake.

All the plumbing is done and dressed in nice didn't take any pictures but here is some of the engine panels i did last night.

post-12596-059452000 1298559750_thumb.jp

post-12596-058687100 1298559774_thumb.jp

Just about done, little wiring left to do with added breakers along with a few more panels left to cut out and she will be ready for the lake.

All the plumbing is done and dressed in nice didn't take any pictures but here is some of the engine panels i did last night.

I guess you are planning on running more weight on the starboard side then (3 braces vs 2)? Like the pump location and set up. Looks sweet!

I may be wrong but Malibu 247 has 1450 total ballast weight factory. Will be filling surf side left tank/ center tank/ bow tank along with the custom surf sac= 2,650 :rockon: we will use the wedge to clean up the pocket and pull the back of the boat down more. If they surf goofy footed= 2,300 :crazy: Like i said these are all just ball park numbers true weight is hard to figure.

post-12596-049992500 1298585153_thumb.jp

BIG JAY, how much weight are you running and where? your 247 has the 1600lb standard balllast, how much additional did you plumb in?

1600 lbs really, hmmm. You must have one of those 5 tank boats LOL.

BIG JAY, how much weight are you running and where? your 247 has the 1600lb standard balllast, how much additional did you plumb in?

I may be wrong but Malibu 247 has 1450 total ballast weight factory. Will be filling surf side left tank/ center tank/ bow tank along with the custom surf sac= 2,650 :rockon: we will use the wedge to clean up the pocket and pull the back of the boat down more. If they surf goofy footed= 2,300 :crazy: Like i said these are all just ball park numbers true weight is hard to figure.

The picture of the wave was created by a 2010 247 with the Corvette LS3 Motor.

The factory ballast is 1450 Lbs. to the best of my knowledge

The configuration for the wave in the picture is

Factory Center and Rear Left Full

247 Custom Surf Sac 1600LBS

Fly High Tube Sac that has max capacity of 380Lbs under observers seat. (we get 300 out of the sac due to space constraints)

There is also a four hundred pound sac on the seat. it is not necessary but my crew is sick like that. However it is necessary when the boat has a tone of people because lets face it. Rarely do VAB's sit and stay where you want them too.

The wedge is at the very top of the safe operation white arc. The needle on the wedge gauge would point to the 12 o ' clock position.

Speed is 10.4-10.8.

Speed in picture is 10.8.

That pic was taken on the Trinity river. That river for some reason produces the best surf wave. 30 feet on average depth.

We ride in Texas.

PS all ballast except for optional sac on the seat are nice and tucked away under the seats or in the storage compartments. All storage compartments get completely filled and we actually had to remove the compartments on the rear engine hatch doors on both sides. All ballast drain and fill at the flip of a switch on the way to and on the way home from our surf spots. LEGIT..

Big Jay has done the install on two of our rigs now. He is talented and very good at making the install look factory.

WheelhouseRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

SOOOOO finished the install late last night, just need to fill the bags and check everything over one last time. Also need to relocate the fuel vent tonight but then it will be complete.

Man that is one sweet looking wave! I assume the project is on a 247 Big Jay? Lets see those picks!!