Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgraded tower mirror for G3, anyone using one?

Fman

I added another upgrade to my VLX today, I ordered the swoop tower mirror that attaches onto the G3 tower and not the windshield. It was kind of strange how Malibu made the stock mirror so you cant open the front window while towing someone without loosing the mirror access. I wanted to have both options available to me, does anyone here have the Tower mirror? how do you like it? It looks like a nice setup, out of your way and easily folds up to stow away the tower or remove.

Samson sells a similar looking mirror, but it appears the Malibu version has a larger mirror than the Samson.

Next question, how do I upload a picture???? The insert image is asking for a URL address which is making no sense to me. If anyone could point me on the right direction I wil upload a picture of what the mirror looks like.

Thanks.

I added another upgrade to my VLX today, I ordered the swoop tower mirror that attaches onto the G3 tower and not the windshield. It was kind of strange how Malibu made the stock mirror so you cant open the front window while towing someone without loosing the mirror access. I wanted to have both options available to me, does anyone here have the Tower mirror? how do you like it? It looks like a nice setup, out of your way and easily folds up to stow away the tower or remove.

Samson sells a similar looking mirror, but it appears the Malibu version has a larger mirror than the Samson.

Next question, how do I upload a picture???? The insert image is asking for a URL address which is making no sense to me. If anyone could point me on the right direction I wil upload a picture of what the mirror looks like.

Thanks.

You should never operate or tow the boat with the walk thru window open, if you hit a big enough bump / wave or if you get side wind under the window it can break the glass out. I've seen this happen multiple times so make sure if the boat is moving to keep the window closed.

I like the functionality of the tower mirror a lot and wouldn't have it any other way. A quick release handle easily removes the mirror from the tower for storage and the 3 piece mirror offers adjust-ability so you can see what you want to. The main downfall is that if you have boards in the racks you can lose sight of the rider.

Samson makes the mirror for Malibu.

Samson makes it but they can't sell it since they are in contract with Malibu. You can only purchase the tower mirror through the Malibu dealer network.

-Paul

Thanks.

I have the mirror it works good little pricey though I bought mine via Bakes with the crew discount and paid no tax saved 50 bucks.....To upload picture I believe you must be a paying member....its worth joining and you get the group buy discounts after your first purchase it basically pays for itself..It does cost money to run and host the site.....

Support the Crew

:werule:

Fman,

I believe that I have the same mirror that you are talking about. You can see pictures if you go to my boathouse. I will say that the viewing window is a bit different with this set up but I only put a few hours on the boat before winter hit. It is great to have it off the window.

Fman,

I believe that I have the same mirror that you are talking about. You can see pictures if you go to my boathouse. I will say that the viewing window is a bit different with this set up but I only put a few hours on the boat before winter hit. It is great to have it off the window.

Tim, that is exactly what I ordered and I agree, having it off the window will be a big plus. My Supra had the mirror off the window and I really lliked not having to close the window every time you wanted to use the mirror.

BTW, great looking boat.... your interior color scheme is very close to mine. I did charcoal accents and white for exterior, black tower, with moonbeam, charcoal, black, and white in the interior. Trailer will be the charcoal color of the exterior accents.

How do you like the MTC? I played with it on the demo ride a few weeks back quite a bit and it was cool, pretty amazing technology! It really cleans up the dash.

You should never operate or tow the boat with the walk thru window open, if you hit a big enough bump / wave or if you get side wind under the window it can break the glass out. I've seen this happen multiple times so make sure if the boat is moving to keep the window closed.

I like the functionality of the tower mirror a lot and wouldn't have it any other way. A quick release handle easily removes the mirror from the tower for storage and the 3 piece mirror offers adjust-ability so you can see what you want to. The main downfall is that if you have boards in the racks you can lose sight of the rider.

Samson makes it but they can't sell it since they are in contract with Malibu. You can only purchase the tower mirror through the Malibu dealer network.

-Paul

Paul....

Thats what I was beginning to realize, the upgrade price was cheaper than the sale price on the Bakes website so I figured it was a fair deal. I think they take into consideration you are not getting the window mirror and take it off the price of the tower mirror.

I have towed people for many years with the window open and closed, guess I have been fortunate not to have any mishaps.... but thanks for the heads up, I will definitely take that into consideration when out on the water.

Also, I recieved the extra board racks I purchased from you guys last week, they look great, and its going to be nice to have the extra storage capacity with 4 racks on the tower. I also noticed I can fit two surfboards in one spline which is pretty cool. Now I just need a spline to accomodate a couple kneeboards, then I wont miss my Z-5 anymore! ;)

Paul....

Thats what I was beginning to realize, the upgrade price was cheaper than the sale price on the Bakes website so I figured it was a fair deal. I think they take into consideration you are not getting the window mirror and take it off the price of the tower mirror.

I have towed people for many years with the window open and closed, guess I have been fortunate not to have any mishaps.... but thanks for the heads up, I will definitely take that into consideration when out on the water.

Also, I recieved the extra board racks I purchased from you guys last week, they look great, and its going to be nice to have the extra storage capacity with 4 racks on the tower. I also noticed I can fit two surfboards in one spline which is pretty cool. Now I just need a spline to accomodate a couple kneeboards, then I wont miss my Z-5 anymore! ;)

We always tow with it shut, but it is almost always opened on the water. Might need to change my ways.

Paul....

Fman,

Your right, they credit the difference so it makes the deal work out in your favor. Exspecially if you don't want the windshield mirror.

Ya I've seen it break the passenger side windshield and i've seen it break the walk thru windshield too. In the summer it actually pretty often that somebody comes in with broken glass, usually from hitting a big wave and the window slamming back down.

Glad you got the racks, thanks for your business and enjoy them! I'm working a adapter piece that will go between the stock Malibu G3 rack base so you could fit any of these forks onto a stock G3 rack.

We always tow with it shut, but it is almost always opened on the water. Might need to change my ways.

If your just putting around no big deal but if your under way I would keep it closed. Especially your windshield since its not available from Malibu any longer you can't a frame or glass for it any longer.

Some windshields if the walk through window is far enough away from the passenger window when the walk Thur is open. You can install a webbing strap with a snap to secure the walk through window in the open position so it can't flop up and down.

-Paul

Fman,

Your right, they credit the difference so it makes the deal work out in your favor. Exspecially if you don't want the windshield mirror.

Ya I've seen it break the passenger side windshield and i've seen it break the walk thru windshield too. In the summer it actually pretty often that somebody comes in with broken glass, usually from hitting a big wave and the window slamming back down.

Glad you got the racks, thanks for your business and enjoy them! I'm working a adapter piece that will go between the stock Malibu G3 rack base so you could fit any of these forks onto a stock G3 rack.

If your just putting around no big deal but if your under way I would keep it closed. Especially your windshield since its not available from Malibu any longer you can't a frame or glass for it any longer.

Some windshields if the walk through window is far enough away from the passenger window when the walk Thur is open. You can install a webbing strap with a snap to secure the walk through window in the open position so it can't flop up and down.

-Paul

I might run with that idea. I'll have to see if my walk through window is long enough to do that. Thumbup.gif

Tim, that is exactly what I ordered and I agree, having it off the window will be a big plus. My Supra had the mirror off the window and I really lliked not having to close the window every time you wanted to use the mirror.

BTW, great looking boat.... your interior color scheme is very close to mine. I did charcoal accents and white for exterior, black tower, with moonbeam, charcoal, black, and white in the interior. Trailer will be the charcoal color of the exterior accents.

How do you like the MTC? I played with it on the demo ride a few weeks back quite a bit and it was cool, pretty amazing technology! It really cleans up the dash.

Thanks,

I picked the boat up off the showroom and while the colors were probably not something I would have custom ordered, the deal was right. Coming from a 99 Response, I feel like I am commanding the Space Shuttle. I do like the MTC from a form and function standpoint, but I sure as hell hope it holds up. EVERYTHING is tied into this system now and failure means you are stuck. Not sure who Malibu sourced it from, but I hope they did their homework and performed a good DOE. Time will tell. When does your boat come in??

Thanks,

I picked the boat up off the showroom and while the colors were probably not something I would have custom ordered, the deal was right. Coming from a 99 Response, I feel like I am commanding the Space Shuttle. I do like the MTC from a form and function standpoint, but I sure as hell hope it holds up. EVERYTHING is tied into this system now and failure means you are stuck. Not sure who Malibu sourced it from, but I hope they did their homework and performed a good DOE. Time will tell. When does your boat come in??

I have been told they tested the MTC for over two years prior to releasing it. Tige' touch is also similar and they tested there system for two years as well. I would be a little more concerned if I stored my boat outside in frigid cold weather during the winter, and I believe Malibu is providing 5 years of warranty on the MTC. Cold weather is brutal on electronic equipment. I used the MTC in direct sunlight and was amazed how easy it is to read even with sunlight directly on it. It will be interesting to see how the hot weather affects the display, it gets 110+ here sometimes on the water in summer so time will tell. The sales rep said they tested it in all weather conditions, so I am assuming (hoping) all will be fine. It seems like all the boat makers are going to more electronics, Mastercraft has the BIG, Supra has the VISION, and Nautique also offers some type of electronic display. Like you said, feels like you are commanding the space shuttle :)

Choosing the colors has been more difficult than I thought, I wanted more white and less dark colors for the gelcoat. My Supra had lots of Black and Fossil and it was really difficult to keep water spots off. So I went with the charcoal accents and all white. Interior has some moonbeam, black, charcoal and white. Tower is black, and the trailer will be Charcoal to match the gelcoat accents.

My boats spray date is March 3rd, and should be finished in about a week after they spray it. I should be recieiving it by the end of March, then its off to the stereo shop for some goodies. Then I start my surf ballast system install. Can hardly wait!

Edited by Fman

Some windshields if the walk through window is far enough away from the passenger window when the walk Thur is open. You can install a webbing strap with a snap to secure the walk through window in the open position so it can't flop up and down.-Paul

The webbing idea is a great idea, probably would not be to difficult to do. Maybe Bakes can come up with a package and sell it??? Hmmm.. just an idea. It is nice on a hot day to allow more airflow into the cockpit area with the window open.

Edited by Fman

I might run with that idea. I'll have to see if my walk through window is long enough to do that. Thumbup.gif

Some windshields if the walk through window is far enough away from the passenger window when the walk Thur is open. You can install a webbing strap with a snap to secure the walk through window in the open position so it can't flop up and down.-Paul

The webbing idea is a great idea, probably would not be to difficult to do. Maybe Bakes can come up with a package and sell it??? Hmmm.. just an idea. It is nice on a hot day to allow more airflow into the cockpit area with the window open.

I will look at the next few service boats that come in to figure out if i can make something generic that would work on all the different windshields.

-Paul

I had already looked at installing the webbing strap as described... my last boat had one and if it wasnt strapped in, the window would flop and bang when I hit decent waves.... When the Malibu window is folded over, it rests on a rubber stopper... you could just unscrew that rubber stopper and the reinstall it screwing the webbing strap in place under that stopper, so no extra holes to drill. Add one snap scewed into the underside of the window trim and your done...

Also noticed loose screws that hold the 2 hinges that hold the folding window... short stainless screws are notorious for working their way back out of fiberglass and everything else... prob need to go over the boat with locktite.

The only time a ran with the window closed was when it was cold or raining.

I had already looked at installing the webbing strap as described... my last boat had one and if it wasnt strapped in, the window would flop and bang when I hit decent waves.... When the Malibu window is folded over, it rests on a rubber stopper... you could just unscrew that rubber stopper and the reinstall it screwing the webbing strap in place under that stopper, so no extra holes to drill. Add one snap scewed into the underside of the window trim and your done...

Also noticed loose screws that hold the 2 hinges that hold the folding window... short stainless screws are notorious for working their way back out of fiberglass and everything else... prob need to go over the boat with locktite.

The only time a ran with the window closed was when it was cold or raining.

There are snaps all over the top of my windshield. Might be a good use for them. Biggrin.gif

If not I really like adding the tether or strap to the rubber stopper - mine has that as well.