Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 piece sundeck picks

scott_fx

20" sounds about right, I might be able to measure tonight if someone doesn't chime in before. Aren's you kinda limited by the braces or haven't you installed them yet? Are you doing the big center pad last?

i haven't installed the braces yet and i plan on having them custom made to fit. they'll overhang the braces slighting but it's something i'll have to live with in order to get the 3 piece design. unless im missing something.

what do you mean about "doing the big center pad last"?

Maybe you talked about your process in earlier posts but you're converting to a 3 piece setup right? Similar to a pre 2005 vlx or a vRide like mine? There are 3 braces (maybe it's all 1 piece), 1 across the rear seatback and 1 on each side of the engine running back to the transom. You want the edges of the pads to rest on the braces running along side the engine. Of course the front sits on the brace across the rear seatback and the back of the pads on the transom.

I assume you're making both side pieces and then measuring for the middle pad :dontknow:

Maybe you talked about your process in earlier posts but you're converting to a 3 piece setup right? Similar to a pre 2005 vlx or a vRide like mine? There are 3 braces (maybe it's all 1 piece), 1 across the rear seatback and 1 on each side of the engine running back to the transom. You want the edges of the pads to rest on the braces running along side the engine. Of course the front sits on the brace across the rear seatback and the back of the pads on the transom.

I assume you're making both side pieces and then measuring for the middle pad :dontknow:

yup. ok sorry was a little unclear on what you were asking. there is a stock x-brace running along the seat back and then i plan on adding two additional braces running fom that brace to the transom. i dont think i can get put the braces exactly at 20" though without hitting the manifold, but i'll have to double check that. i dont think there will be an issue if they are slightly offset... i want to see if i can use a 1" aluminum square tube as the brace, that may possibly fix my clearance issue

I could possibly add a smaller 'tray' to fill the gap between the braces and the center pad to hold small containers like sunblock and binding slime

also i'm cutting the original piece so the center section wiill be dependent on the dimensions of the two side pieces (minus 1/4" on all cuts to compensate for the added upholstery

Edited by scott_fx

Hmmmm, how about you post up some pics...

this is the current state of my boat:

16b.jpg

:D

looking at the pics, i realized i measured to the plastic dividers. i think i'll have plenty of room for the brace at the 20" mark

i did some more measurements with the deck on the boat, there is plenty of clearance to add additional bracing between the factory cross brace and the transom w/o hitting the manifold.