Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 piece sundeck picks

scott_fx

Im going ahead with my reupholstering upgrade in a few weeks and would love to do away with the single sundeck. Does anyone have any info or pics that show where the hinges are and how they are attached?

thanks

scott

Its just a stainless piano hinge that goes between the sundeck and the fiberglass. The hinge part goes up and both flanges go down.

The flanges attach to the side of the sundeck and the small vertical part of the top deck.

Im going ahead with my reupholstering upgrade in a few weeks and would love to do away with the single sundeck. Does anyone have any info or pics that show where the hinges are and how they are attached?

thanks

scott

go with a 2 piece top like on the '08's, easier to do than 3 piece and better imho.

the thing with the 3 piece design is that i could make it hybrid. i can use the stock hinges for the center section and fabricate a 'lip' on the two sides for the end pieces to rest on, adding some rigidity (granted... i couldn't open the center with out first opening the sides... but that doesnt bother me) the ski pylon frame was built differently on the newer models then on my boat. im worried about weak spots in the center if i go with the 2 piece design.

Our 07 has the 2 piece cover instead of the 3 piece like our old 01. I also recommend going with the 3 piece instead of the two.

The two piece is fairly heavy unless your positioned perfectly. Also we usually hook the arm hole of our wet jackets on the ski pylon to dry and it is really annoying having to move them everytime the cover has to be opened.

The only reason I can see to have a two piece is if you really use the tray over the engine a lot. But in our 01 the spark arrestor actually touched the bottom of the cover so there was no way a tray could have worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 07 has the 2 piece cover instead of the 3 piece like our old 01. I also recommend going with the 3 piece instead of the two.

The two piece is fairly heavy unless your positioned perfectly. Also we usually hook the arm hole of our wet jackets on the ski pylon to dry and it is really annoying having to move them everytime the cover has to be opened.

The only reason I can see to have a two piece is if you really use the tray over the engine a lot. But in our 01 the spark arrestor actually touched the bottom of the cover so there was no way a tray could have worked.

ya I agree, unless you are going to have a warming tray the 3 door is the way to go....lighter, easier to lift and if you have people on the back alot and want to get into a side it is easier, ie tossing in a wet life jacket etc........

i just remembered that the sundeck is made from a honeycomb core aluminum panel. would i be able to use marine grade plywood for the base (maybe reinforced on the underside with aluminum bars) or could i cut the original w/o compromising the structure?

Are you sure it's not just thick plastic?

When I'm walking over my sundeck, it doesn't make the weird squeaking sound the panel in the floor over the gas tank makes. (which I know is the alum. honeycomb)

Are you sure it's not just thick plastic?

When I'm walking over my sundeck, it doesn't make the weird squeaking sound the panel in the floor over the gas tank makes. (which I know is the alum. honeycomb)

i'll have to check again. i was just going from memory and i thought i noticed a honeycomb core when looking at the vent window in the center of the sun pad. after watching your video it reminded me of it and got me wondering

• 1 month later...

you guys have been great with the info so far, could i bother one of you with a 3 piece to take measurements of the side panels? i'd like to know how wide they are. My current design has them at 20" but that will overlap the engine compartment a bit. curious as to what the factory dimensions are

you guys have been great with the info so far, could i bother one of you with a 3 piece to take measurements of the side panels? i'd like to know how wide they are. My current design has them at 20" but that will overlap the engine compartment a bit. curious as to what the factory dimensions are

20" sounds about right, I might be able to measure tonight if someone doesn't chime in before. Aren's you kinda limited by the braces or haven't you installed them yet? Are you doing the big center pad last?