Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing Ballast for VTX

TrickyNicky

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get some surfing ballast for our VTX. I'm leaning towards the 750 in the rear locker and the tube sac under the side bench. I was going to pick up two Tsunami 1200 gph pumps as well.

A couple things I'd like to make clear. I'm a student so this is on a budget (if thats a word on this forum Whistling.gif). We will also only be using the ballast to surf and only on the regular side!

My questions are:

1-Would you recommend an 1100lb bag for the locker over a 750? Do I gain that much weight. Also with a 750, I figure I'd be able to leave the small rope pocket on the locker door for storage which I use a lot.

2-Is it that much of a pain to fill the bags yourself or should I look into a piggy back (or alternative) system. I'm not getting a full install ($$$).

3-Is it possible to connect the two sacs so they would fill faster as a combination, rather than one pump filling the 750?

4-Finally, can I get an extra pump to fill the 750 faster? Do i need anything besides two sacks and two pump kits?

Any and all recommendations are appreciated, I know theres a lot on this topic of what ppl have done. I was just hoping to get some "If I did it again" comments, or feedback from ppl about there own systems in a VTX or similar setup in any boat.

Thanks

Tricky

I think the 1100 bags are too big for a VTX. I'm running the 750's in my VTX this year. If you're surfing you'll only need to fill one. How much weight are you running int he bow?

Cjay is right, the 1100 bags are too big for the VTX.

I have a customer that loves the surf wake on his VTX and he runs:

Fly High 750 in the rear trunk : http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=984

Fly High 370 under the seats: http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=986

Factory center ballast full

Factory rear (surf side) full

The awesome thing about the VTX that I love is that it doesn't have much displacement, so you get a much better surf wake with a lot less weight.

Here are the awnsers to your questions you asked:

1-Would you recommend an 1100lb bag for the locker over a 750? Do I gain that much weight. Also with a 750, I figure I'd be able to leave the small rope pocket on the locker door for storage which I use a lot. 750 since the 1100 does not fit

2-Is it that much of a pain to fill the bags yourself or should I look into a piggy back (or alternative) system. I'm not getting a full install ($$$). I would just use a manual hose unless you plan on plumbing the system in yourself. Piggy back systems are alot slower than throwing a pump over board.

3-Is it possible to connect the two sacs so they would fill faster as a combination, rather than one pump filling the 750? You could connect the two, i suggest installing a ball valve inbetween though.

4-Finally, can I get an extra pump to fill the 750 faster? Do i need anything besides two sacks and two pump kits? do you want to plumb the system in? it will be faster (maybe more conveinent than anything) to plumb them in. but really the Tsunami 1200 pumps are faster than most of the pumps you would use to plumb the bag in. Two bags and really one pump kit is all you need to get your surf set up going! Let me know if you need help sorting out bags and fittings to connect the two.

Hope this helps you out!

-Paul

I seem to remember "Crash" saying something about having a custom sac built for his VTX.....Not sure if this ever happend or not?

This is my set-up

1-750 (not quite full) rear surf side

2-400 (x-2) 1 in the bow, 1 on the floor

All stock (3 of 4 tanks) full, except non surf side

Finally the "Best ballast" a few 200 lb buddies seated as needed!

Late last summer I upgraded to an OJ Fusion prop to help get this mess out of the hole a little quicker

I seem to remember "Crash" saying something about having a custom sac built for his VTX.....Not sure if this ever happend or not?

This is my set-up

Late last summer I upgraded to an OJ Fusion prop to help get this mess out of the hole a little quicker

What prop did you have before? I'm running the acme 1235, and I'm at altitude. I have a few issues getting out of the hole while wakebaording when running heavy.

What prop did you have before? I'm running the acme 1235, and I'm at altitude. I have a few issues getting out of the hole while wakebaording when running heavy.

Same here at altitude, I am running the 1235 and have issues getting out of the hole when running extra weight in the lockers

Same here at altitude, I am running the 1235 and have issues getting out of the hole when running extra weight in the lockers

Yeah it sucks at alt, we lose 3% of our horse power for ever 1000ft above sealevel, so my 340 monsoon becomes a 290hp engine.

The 1235 is the best you will get for holeshot from Acme. I wouldnt want to change the pitch any further..the Monsoon is already running at a higher RPM than stock.

This is my set-up

I run a similar set up but the 400 on the seat and the second 400 in the bow. I run the wedge at 0% or all the way down. I may fine tune and run a couple clicks up depending on the rider, conditions etc. Usually run around 10.2...i think. I run the 1235 ACME and have no issues.

Cjay is right, the 1100 bags are too big for the VTX.

I have a customer that loves the surf wake on his VTX and he runs:

Fly High 750 in the rear trunk : http://bakesonline.c...ail.aspx?ID=984

Fly High 370 under the seats: http://bakesonline.c...ail.aspx?ID=986

Factory center ballast full

Factory rear (surf side) full

The awesome thing about the VTX that I love is that it doesn't have much displacement, so you get a much better surf wake with a lot less weight.

Here are the awnsers to your questions you asked:

1-Would you recommend an 1100lb bag for the locker over a 750? Do I gain that much weight. Also with a 750, I figure I'd be able to leave the small rope pocket on the locker door for storage which I use a lot. 750 since the 1100 does not fit

2-Is it that much of a pain to fill the bags yourself or should I look into a piggy back (or alternative) system. I'm not getting a full install ($). I would just use a manual hose unless you plan on plumbing the system in yourself. Piggy back systems are alot slower than throwing a pump over board.

3-Is it possible to connect the two sacs so they would fill faster as a combination, rather than one pump filling the 750? You could connect the two, i suggest installing a ball valve inbetween though.

4-Finally, can I get an extra pump to fill the 750 faster? Do i need anything besides two sacks and two pump kits? do you want to plumb the system in? it will be faster (maybe more conveinent than anything) to plumb them in. but really the Tsunami 1200 pumps are faster than most of the pumps you would use to plumb the bag in. Two bags and really one pump kit is all you need to get your surf set up going! Let me know if you need help sorting out bags and fittings to connect the two.

Hope this helps you out!

-Paul

Solid reply Paul, Thanks

So I'm thinking with the 750 in the locker and the 370 under the seat and than some connection between the two. As stated this would allow me to have one pump fill them both at the same time.

Why would you suggest a ball valve? Would a simple hose connecting the two not be suffice? Fill the 750 from the top and connect the drain from the 750 to the fill of the 370, that way the pressure from the 750 fills the 370? Than you would still be able to drain them both from the 370's drain.

Another option I just considered is having both the fills connected with a t or y connector and both the drains conneted with a t or y connector. That way the pump can just be connected to the single y connection and fill both bags. I do think this would be slower to fill because of the pressure buildup in the 370 before the 750 is full, could be wrong though.

Let me know what you think or point out any mistakes in my thinking. I am completely new to fat sacs so a parts list would be great.

For the record I wont have any desire to fill the sacs separately either. Either there both full or there both empty.

Thanks and in regards to some of the other comments, thank you for your setup I just want to avoid having any visible bags.

Edited by TrickyNicky

If you do plumb it in route your vent lines to the opposite side of the boat. I have ran just about every combination available in my VTX and Paul is correct the VTX with 5000lbs+ equals the same wake with 3000lbs :thumbup: Also dont forget bow weight the wake wont be as tall but will have a ton more ridable room

Edited by CRASH

The 1235 is the best you will get for holeshot from Acme. I wouldnt want to change the pitch any further..the Monsoon is already running at a higher RPM than stock.

What is OJ running? I've heard they have some new props. At alt I wouldn't reccomend anything under 400hp, it just gets eaten up too fast

What is OJ running? I've heard they have some new props. At alt I wouldn't reccomend anything under 400hp, it just gets eaten up too fast

The Monsoon is more that adequate @350hp on the VTX.

No doubt, anyone got a write up on how to super charge a monsoon :)

Yuck! A friend has his Centurion supercharged with a Whipple. Useless IMO. It seems he is forever messing with the thing. I see adding a supercharger on a tow boat kinda like adding a supercharger to a tug boat! Althougth the 247 is one mighty big ship so guess it makes sence for such a big boat but a VTX...not necessary!

Yuck! A friend has his Centurion supercharged with a Whipple. Useless IMO. It seems he is forever messing with the thing. I see adding a supercharger on a tow boat kinda like adding a supercharger to a tug boat! Althougth the 247 is one mighty big ship so guess it makes sence for such a big boat but a VTX...not necessary!

So you are saying its not cool to Rip your buddy's arms off when you pull him out of the water??? :crazy:

Ok fair enough but 350, 300 hp what ever..no issues for me even at altitude.

How much weight are you running? If I'm running heavy the boat takes forever to get up out of the hole at altitude.

So you are saying its not cool to Rip your buddy's arms off when you pull him out of the water??? :crazy:

I found his supercharger to be more of a PIA than anything. It took Premium fuel, he was always messing with it, the boat was in the shop more than in the water and yes the additional power was nice but I didnt feel it was necessary. He had to run some crazy pitch on the prop due to the increased power.

I can put a supercharger on my Tundra from TRD (Toyota Racing Development) and it will not void my warranty. Currently I am running at 440 hp and the supercharger would boost the truck up to over 550 hp! Yes it would sure be cool but again it is hard to justify the expense, $8k installed, plus my fuel economy will be more in the toilet then it always is and my fuel bill will be even higher by having to run premium. I guess if money is no object and you dont mind you boat not being all that reliable then go for it!

How much weight are you running? If I'm running heavy the boat takes forever to get up out of the hole at altitude.

Full MLS plus wedge at 88% for Wakeboarding. For surf full ballast, wedge, 750 rear locker and 400 on the side and 400 in the bow. 1235 prop and usually 3 peeps in the boat. No issues at all!

Edited by old skool malibu

Full MLS plus wedge at 88% for Wakeboarding. For surf full ballast, wedge, 750 rear locker and 400 on the side and 400 in the bow. 1235 prop and usually 3 peeps in the boat. No issues at all!

I don't have too many issues surfing, because you never really get completely out of the hole, but wake boarding we do. Just with MLS and wedge it makes getting out of the hole slow. When compared to my friend's axis a22 with the 410 raptor running significantly more weight. I wouldn't get another boat with less than 400hp to ride behind in colorado. In calgary you're still another 2000ft bellow where I live, so you get about 6% better hp or about 21 more HP.

I don't have too many issues surfing, because you never really get completely out of the hole, but wake boarding we do. Just with MLS and wedge it makes getting out of the hole slow. When compared to my friend's axis a22 with the 410 raptor running significantly more weight. I wouldn't get another boat with less than 400hp to ride behind in colorado. In calgary you're still another 2000ft bellow where I live, so you get about 6% better hp or about 21 more HP.

Ya I wouldnt want to push it much more than it already is.