Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty/Dealer problems

HighrockLSV23

I purchased a 09 LSV23 on August 28 and had to put it in the shop at the beginning of October. The dealer has had the boat every since then trying to figure out whats wrong with the maliview screen. Finally they called me and told me they have it fixed. I picked the boat up and put it straight in the water (3 minutes from dealer ship) and ran the boat for about 5 minutes and the bearings in the motor came apart. There telling me it will be about 5000 to repair the engine and indmar or malibu will not cover it. The dealer said the boat had oil in it and appeared to be good oil. They had also lake tested the boat before I picked it up. Also the dealer I purchased the boat from failed to transfer the warranty. I am very disappointed in Malibu and their dealers. I have only had the boat at my house for one month and used it about 20 hours. I am not sure if the dealer blowed the boat up or didnt properly drain it so it wouldnt freeze and it did. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The warranty is suppose to be good until August 2012.

Sorry to hear of your problems!

My question is, if the boat is under warranty, why is the dealer saying they won't cover it. Doesn't the boat come with a 3 year warranty as you stated? Was it not transferred properly?

I am not sure if the dealer blowed the boat up or didnt properly drain it so it wouldnt freeze and it did.

You need to know the cause of the problem. If it was not properly winterized and water froze and cracked the block then this is not a Malibu-Indmar-warranty problem. Freeze damage should not be hard to diagnose and the fact that Malibu and Indmar won't cover it tells me its probably freeze damage. Responsibility for the cracked block would lie either with you or the dealer, depending on who was responsible to ensure that the boat was winterized. I don't know all the facts so I won't speculate on who would have been responsible for winterization. If "reasonable" steps were taken to ensure the block did not freeze and it did so anyway, insurance might cover it, but it depends on the actual language of your policy.

My question is, if the boat is under warranty, why is the dealer saying they won't cover it. Doesn't the boat come with a 3 year warranty as you stated? Was it not transferred properly?

I think it costs about $800 to get the warranty transferred.

If the bearings came apart but the oil was normal / not contaminated that sounds like bearing failure to me.. very weird... I had a motor (monsoon 340) with 18 hours throw a rod inexplicably last year. Neither Indmar or the dealer could could explain why, even after Indmar forensically investigated. I wish I didn't have to worry about my replaced engine.. :( Could there be a quality control issue at Indmar?

If the bearings came apart but the oil was normal / not contaminated that sounds like bearing failure to me.. very weird... I had a motor (monsoon 340) with 18 hours throw a rod inexplicably last year. Neither Indmar or the dealer could could explain why, even after Indmar forensically investigated. I wish I didn't have to worry about my replaced engine.. :( Could there be a quality control issue at Indmar?

Doubt it. VERY, VERY few engine complaints are seen here.....even less for the Monsoons/ LCR engines.

would indmar have even assembled the engine? I just figure that they take assembled GM long blocks and put their electronics and marinizing stuff on them.

I purchased a 09 LSV23 on August 28 and had to put it in the shop at the beginning of October. The dealer has had the boat every since then trying to figure out whats wrong with the maliview screen. Finally they called me and told me they have it fixed. I picked the boat up and put it straight in the water (3 minutes from dealer ship) and ran the boat for about 5 minutes and the bearings in the motor came apart. There telling me it will be about 5000 to repair the engine and indmar or malibu will not cover it. The dealer said the boat had oil in it and appeared to be good oil. They had also lake tested the boat before I picked it up. Also the dealer I purchased the boat from failed to transfer the warranty. I am very disappointed in Malibu and their dealers. I have only had the boat at my house for one month and used it about 20 hours. I am not sure if the dealer blowed the boat up or didnt properly drain it so it wouldnt freeze and it did. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The warranty is suppose to be good until August 2012.

Whoa man really sorry to hear about that. Have you tried to contact indmar directly, malibu directly? If you bought the boat from a dealer it's their responsibility to transfer any remaining warranty to you. Sounds like they really screwed up and need to take responsibilty for any mistakes on their part. I'm seriously press the issue. If the above story is indeed how things played out I'd say that if all else fails you have a pretty good lawsuit in your favor. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, just keep the full court press on them.

Ouch. I think they intentionally make it cost so much so that people won't transfer the warranty...as if it costs Malibu $800 to change the name on a guys warranty?

If the dealer did indeed tell you it would have warranty, then you should have warranty. Sorry to hear about your misfortune...I hope things work out for the best.

Any time I see someone who just joined and their first post bashes Malibu in some way my “troll” antenna comes up. Not saying you are, but my mind does think that way.

You state the dealer you bought it from failed to transfer the warranty. If that’s the case and you have paperwork to prove it then you should have an easy claim against that dealer. If nothing is stated in the bill-of-sale then it’s your word against.

I purchased a 09 LSV23 on August 28 and had to put it in the shop at the beginning of October. The dealer has had the boat every since then trying to figure out whats wrong with the maliview screen. Finally they called me and told me they have it fixed. I picked the boat up and put it straight in the water (3 minutes from dealer ship) and ran the boat for about 5 minutes and the bearings in the motor came apart. There telling me it will be about 5000 to repair the engine and indmar or malibu will not cover it. The dealer said the boat had oil in it and appeared to be good oil. They had also lake tested the boat before I picked it up. Also the dealer I purchased the boat from failed to transfer the warranty. I am very disappointed in Malibu and their dealers. I have only had the boat at my house for one month and used it about 20 hours. I am not sure if the dealer blowed the boat up or didn't properly drain it so it wouldn't freeze and it did. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The warranty is suppose to be good until August 2012.

Bummer, sorry to hear your frustrations. Did the dealer fail to do it after they were asked to or fail to mention it? I'm not positive about Indmar but the Malibu bumper to bumper 3 year warranty follows the boat. The lifetime structure and hull warranty is only available to additional owners if you have the warranty transfered.

Indmar is a awesome company so I can't imagine them denying warranty with out good reason so hopefully all the facts are getting to them so they can make the right decision. I do know for engine warranties, they want the engines ECM sent back first so they can review how the engine was used and the data leading up to the failure.

The base long block is a GM Marine engine. Indmar marinizes it with their manifolds and components but internals like that are off the GM assembly line. Cases like that are very rare and thats why Indmar backs them up with a 3 year warranty in case something like that ever happens.

Ouch. I think they intentionally make it cost so much so that people won't transfer the warranty...as if it costs Malibu $800 to change the name on a guys warranty?

If the dealer did indeed tell you it would have warranty, then you should have warranty. Sorry to hear about your misfortune...I hope things work out for the best.

Just so people know, the warranty transfer break down is $250 to Indmar. $400 to Malibu + whatever the dealer charges to do the inspecting required to fill the paperwork out for Malibu and Indmar.

The boats bumper to bumper warranty (components inside the boat like ballast pumps, blower, etc) follows the boat for the 3 years from when it was first registered.

Hope this helps shed some light.

-Paul

That blows. BUT if the boat was at the dealer since Oct. with issues on the Maliview was that not warranty work? I am not sure how one thing is covered but not the motor. That sucks. I would not be giving that dealer 5K for a new short block, go to Summit and buy a crate short block and put it in yourself. Not like your going to void the warranty.