Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at buying a 2000 Response Need Advise

Skigirl15

My husband and I are currently looking at a 2000 Malibu Resonse, this boat has 1,000 hours on it. Which is somewhat unsettleing. I grew up behind a 98' Response so I definatelly know the boat and what I am getting into. I am wondering what I need to be looking for in regards to things that may be going or are about to go wrong in the boat. We want to go look at this boat today. The engine is the 330 HP Monsoon by Indemar. Any advise is welcomed and greatly appreciated!!! :clap::clap:

If the boat is in good shape and you're interested I'd pay to have a mechanic check out the engine, he'll do a compression test, scan the engine computer for any faults, and possibly even a leak down test.

Also 1000 hours with good maintenance is no big deal but make you see all the records on the boat to make sure it was well cared for.

-Chris

If the boat is in good shape and you're interested I'd pay to have a mechanic check out the engine, he'll do a compression test, scan the engine computer for any faults, and possibly even a leak down test.

Also 1000 hours with good maintenance is no big deal but make you see all the records on the boat to make sure it was well cared for.

-Chris

:plus1: These engines will go 2,000 to 3,000 hours with no trouble with good maintenance. As stated above have the boat checked out by a good mechanic. It is well worth the cost. Also never buy a boat without a lake test. get it out on the water and check out all aspects of the boat. winterization really isn't that hard so don't let that excuse cause you not to get the boat on the water.

Good luck.

Always check for the dreaded HDS issue. Get under the boat and look for cracks around the rudder and strut area. Ask if the boat leaks or better yet water test and check for leakage. If there is an HDS problem there is a big leak. This is a fairly expensive problem to fix.

Always check for the dreaded HDS issue. Get under the boat and look for cracks around the rudder and strut area. Ask if the boat leaks or better yet water test and check for leakage. If there is an HDS problem there is a big leak. This is a fairly expensive problem to fix.

Can you elaboorate on what this HDS issue is?

Can you elaboorate on what this HDS issue is?

You can do a search on this website for HDS. It has been discussed extensively. Hydroponic Dampening System is the water-filled black box that the prop shaft passes through towards the rear of the boat. Usually it takes some kind of shock to damage the HDS and it's seal is cracked and the boat will leak. Very annoying and needs to be fixed ASAP.

So basically if we test the boat on the water we would definatelly be able to notice if something like that was cracked because we would have to use the bildge, and I assume an abnormal amount of water would be pumped out?

So basically if we test the boat on the water we would definatelly be able to notice if something like that was cracked because we would have to use the bildge, and I assume an abnormal amount of water would be pumped out?

Exactly, a lot of water, very annoying. Actually it is a bit dangerous. If the boat was moored while unattended and the bilge pump failed, the boat could theoretically fill with water.

Exactly, a lot of water, very annoying. Actually it is a bit dangerous. If the boat was moored while unattended and the bilge pump failed, the boat could theoretically fill with water.

Perfect! I will definatelly know what to look for then! Thank you all for your responses :werule: !

So I test drove the boat ran great, tested the engine it is running at 200 PSI which is also awesome! I am wondering thoug, the gages weren't working and they are looking into them. Sounds like they need to order a new box? How much do these usually run? Is this something to be concerned about? Also, we did notice that a skag was damaged possibly hit bottom at one point? Could this cause anything to be concerned about in the future as well? They did a full leak test on the boat and nothing turned up but they did need to tighten the cylinder packing a bit, which caused a bit of seepage. But as of now everything is turning out great! I just was wondering how much this box costs? And if the current owner should replace before we buy?

The MDC is the "box" that runs the gauges, runs $200-$250 and they do fail from time to time like anything. Not extremely common, but it happens. I'd assume buyer will fix or discount the price accordingly.

If the boat did hit bottom hard they could be stress cracks to the gelcoat and the area should be inspected thoroughly. I wouldn't be worried if there are no cracks or obvious problems. Obviously you test drove the boat and the would have noticed any unusual vibrations or whatnot.

-Chris

I concur on those "box failures". Probably half of the response's I know of have had to replace them. What kind of damage was done to the tracking fin?

Edited by bretski75

What kind of damage was done to the tracking fin?

I was thinking the same thing. Could have hit a boat lift not down low enough, could have been beached with a rock down in the sand, etc.

I am not sure. The dealer was supposed to ask the owner if they ever hit anything because the prop was pretty messed up as well. I still have not heard back from them. I made my initial offer on Saturday and the owner rejected it without a counter. I am pretty dissapointed, but gave my information to the dealer and told them to get a hold of me if they are willing to negotiate on the boat. It sounds like they are wanting the asking price only

Whats the asking price?

Busted MDC - $$?

Prop repair $120 - $150

Bend fin - $130 if you do it yourself

I would be looking very closely at other items. Most owners take extra good care, or not much care at all. And with that list growing I would be careful.

The boat is in the Tri Cities WA, asking price was 14,000 I offered 10,000 thinking that they would meet me in the middle. They just sold a 2001 Response with half the hours asking price was 14,000 also.... soooo I feel like I should get the boat for less than the asking price... We shall see.

Whats the asking price?

Busted MDC - $$?

Prop repair $120 - $150

Bend fin - $130 if you do it yourself

I would be looking very closely at other items. Most owners take extra good care, or not much care at all. And with that list growing I would be careful.

Just wondering, if the gauge computer is out, is the hour meter working correctly?

I'm a lilttle suprised they didn't counter offer, especially during the winter when no one is shopping. If it's at a dealer, I'd at least ask for some kind of warranty.

Is it a one owner boat ? Have to admit, I'd be a little concerned about messed up prop and skeg. Sorry to be kinda negative, but I'd still shop around. If it was me, I wouldn't even call them back. Make them call you back. If they aren't at all motivated, I don't think I would be either.

It may be worth a little extra cash for a lower hour boat with no noticeable issues. That being said, I bought mine with 1000 hours.

Best of luck in your boat buying. Keep us posted !

Steve B.

I greatly appreciate everyones feed back! It is so hard to not call the dealer back and just walk away from something that I have wanted for a while. But I agree I feel like there are a lot better boats out there, and probably from people who are willing to deal. That being said, the boat is on consignment at a dealer, and the owner is the one that is not willing to come down (supposedly). But that always makes me think that the dealer could be the one not wanting her to sell at a lower price as well. Who knows? :(

I greatly appreciate everyones feed back! It is so hard to not call the dealer back and just walk away from something that I have wanted for a while. But I agree I feel like there are a lot better boats out there, and probably from people who are willing to deal. That being said, the boat is on consignment at a dealer, and the owner is the one that is not willing to come down (supposedly). But that always makes me think that the dealer could be the one not wanting her to sell at a lower price as well. Who knows? :(

Dealer is probably taking 10% off the top, so selling the boat for $12k or $14k isn't too much of a difference for them.

Something I learned awhile ago, there is ALWAYS another boat, next time you're more informed.