Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drysuits and Water temp.

Beaver

Thinking about buying a drysuit so we can start a little earlier next year with the new VLX. I know it has a lot to do with how tough you are, but when do most people switch from wet to dry? I think it was Chaabo that said he wears 2 wetsuits over eachother. Anybody else do this?

Also: If I do end up getting a drysuit, what should I be looking for and I much should I plan on spending? Will only be wakeboarding with the suit and the weather here in Germany is similar to Michigan (where I´m from).

Thanks,

Andy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• NorCaliBu

• jetskipro550

• HRemington

drysuit makes 30° F air temp w 40° F water temp usable if you like to hit the pond.

you have to like to hit the pond.

where in MI are you from?

in germany for work, play or r.u. in uniform?

Edited by tvano
Thinking about buying a drysuit so we can start a little earlier next year with the new VLX. I know it has a lot to do with how tough you are, but when do most people switch from wet to dry? I think it was Chaabo that said he wears 2 wetsuits over eachother. Anybody else do this?

Also: If I do end up getting a drysuit, what should I be looking for and I much should I plan on spending? Will only be wakeboarding with the suit and the weather here in Germany is similar to Michigan (where I´m from).

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

With two drysuits (a shorty & a long one) you can easily get at least into 10 (50) degree cold water. Usually the water temps on our rivers stay above 10 degrees all year round. The air gets much colder! The main problem are the feet, the hands, and primarily the head. Wear gloves and maybe neo socks and protect your head & ears against the cold wind. This way you can start your season right after the snow has gone!

Have fun!

Yes, you can expect to have the "cold headache"....

:lol: Had that yesterday. Yes.gif

Water 48* / Air 46* / Though the sunshine made it deceptively warm. Went first set without my neo hood... Shocking.gif ...Bad idea. Had a splitting brain-freeze headache after that. Cry.gif

Only boat out there though. Yahoo.gif

I thought it was warm out there in CA? 2 Thumbs and I got in quite a few sets over the weekend, wrapping up yesterday morning with 70 degree air and 55 degree water in SW Missouri.

About $300 for a good baggy suit. Definitely will extend the season.

Here is a link to the drysuit we all bought three years ago and they are still in great shape.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/We...ysuit/index.asp

Thanks,

Andy

I thought it was warm out there in CA?

So Cal? Yes.gif Nor Cal? No.gif

I'm in the Sierra Foothills, northeast of Sac. It's finally snowing up around Tahoe(less than an hour from here). Projecting up to 2 feet from the current storm. It doesn't snow too much here (~2000 ft elevation) but it gets kinda chilly. :)

The headrush is horrible when the water is that temp.

The icy cold water doesn't bother me as much as cold air. Last year our lake got down to 36* and as long as the air was up in the high-50's skiing was nice. It's when the air is in the 30's that it's downright painful on the face. Shocking.gif Cold air on bare, wet skin...makes talking a challenge when you get back in the boat. Crazy.gif Lips go numb. :lol:

I have to say the hot water shower is the best cold water option you can put on a boat...even when the water is barely liquid and the air is cold, 100+ degee water will warm you up in a hurry. My shower gets a workout this time of the year. Adding quick disconnects to the supply lines makes draining it a 90 second job.

I used to jet ski all year round with a baggy dry suit, booties, gloves, and helmet and I was never cold except for my face. I would wear sweats, longsleve shirt, and a sweatshirt under my dry suit. One time the air was in the high 20's and the water was high 30's (I think???) anyways, it was snowing that day and I was warm and toasty. My friend and I would even just float down the river laying next to our skis when we got tired. Dry suits are AWSOME!!!

I usually wear my drysuit plus neoprene hood in 45 to 60 degree water, then switch to the long wet suit to 65, then shorty after 65....it is a baggy suit and I wear thermals under the dry suit....hope that helps.

Cheers

Reggie

I have the BARE

http://www.gotriver.com/BARE_ultra_drysuit.htm

is the best place I've seen it.  Currently running for $299, I believe I paid $250 there.

I just got mine from there a week ago for $299.00. Its the only place I found that carried a XXL :blush:

Very good service from their shop.

A buddy that I board with has the O'neill suit and it seams to be a little better quality. He paid 379 for it.

Its 65* air and 62* water here now and I don't need the drysuit so much in the water over the fullsuit, its just so much nicer to be dry when you get out. I had a hot water shower installed and the kids love it (they don't get drysuits). Well worth the money.

You might want to watch the skiing in cold water video at Barefoot Central: http://www.barefootcentral.com/cool.htm

We start skiing and footing right at ice out and go into December. We use baggy suits with fleece underneath. We have had good luck with neoprene hoods and hats or headbands.

We normally wear wetsuits until the water drops to 55 - 60, though a lot depends on the air temp.

I have been in 35 water and 35 air. 

OK Mark, that does it...you are certifiably ca-razy. My nipples get stiff just walking through the freezer section at the Super Wal-Mart®. Crazy.gif

Ok, I think we went down this road once before, but because you are so much older now I find it difficult to believe that anything gets stiff. I mean, maybe watching the financial channel or something, but the Super Wal-Mart®? Yeah, right.

Tease2.gif

Beaver, layering wetsuits = much less mobility, much more fatigue. You will NEVER regret buying a drysuit. And you will never ride MORE than if you have one. How cold is definitely a personal threshold and depends on how bad you want it.

I had a dry suit and ended up selling it because it was so hard to put on. I never tried baby powder, is that the solution?

there is a product that protects the rubber and helps you get in and out easier. I can't remember what its called or what it is though.

I have been in 35 water and 35 air. 

OK Mark, that does it...you are certifiably ca-razy. My nipples get stiff just walking through the freezer section at the Super Wal-Mart®. Crazy.gif

Ok, I think we went down this road once before, but because you are so much older now I find it difficult to believe that anything gets stiff. I mean, maybe watching the financial channel or something, but the Super Wal-Mart®? Yeah, right.

Tease2.gif

ROFL.gif

I was wondering about being able to move or being comfortable in 2 wetsuits like someone said before. I guess I´ll have to break out some cash. Does anyone out there wear a mask or know where to get one suitable for water? Gloves shouldn´t be a problem I´m guessing and there is nothing to do about the feet unless you are riding the foil.

I was wondering about being able to move or being comfortable in 2 wetsuits like someone said before. I guess I´ll have to break out some cash. Does anyone out there wear a mask or know where to get one suitable for water? Gloves shouldn´t be a problem I´m guessing and there is nothing to do about the feet unless you are riding the foil.

I have had some luck with using a thin neoprene sock with the foot for the rear toe plate. Front foot stays pretty warm, especially in the powershell boot.