Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drysuits and Water temp.

Beaver

Jetskipro550,

Sweat pans is a bad idea to wear under your drysuit, if they get wet they stay wet and you're cold. Slalom Frog system is best, the fleece suit under the drysuit keeps you warm and dry... :)

Fleece Suit

Beaver,

Check this head gear and booties, I have them both, they work pretty good.

Head Hood and Booties

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• NorCaliBu

• jetskipro550

• HRemington

I just use a latex swim cap for the head, and thin latex gloves under my normal gloves for the hands. Seems to work the best for me overall and both are cheap. I can also keep the cap above the ears when it's not extremely cold.

I have the oneill hood but don't like it - the water always shoots up the sides during the start. I have a friend who has the oneill cap (not full hood) - that seems to work better.

Jetskipro550,

Sweat pans is a bad idea to wear under your drysuit, if they get wet they stay wet and you're cold. Slalom Frog system is best, the fleece suit under the drysuit keeps you warm and dry...  :) 

Fleece Suit

I agree 100% of the regular sweats. Normal winter fleece pants or any wicking style long underwear works pretty good. If you get a hybrid suit (instead of full bag) you'll only have room for long underwear for your legs.

thin latex gloves under my normal gloves for the hands.

Addictedto6,

I have never tried that but it sounds like a good idea, I never wear gloves but I think I'll give your system a try, my daughter is in the medical field and the latex gloves they wear in the operating room are very strong and tight.

Thanks for the tip!... Thumbup.gif

thin latex gloves under my normal gloves for the hands.

Addictedto6,

I have never tried that but it sounds like a good idea, I never wear gloves but I think I'll give your system a try, my daughter is in the medical field and the latex gloves they wear in the operating room are very strong and tight.

Thanks for the tip!... Thumbup.gif

Hope it works out for you...The medical gloves would probably work great!

I've tried several different styles and thinnest possible works best for me when used under slalom gloves. the thicker ones (ie household cleaning) tend to bunch up and pinch the hand under the ski gloves.

Jetskipro550,

Sweat pans is a bad idea to wear under your drysuit, if they get wet they stay wet and you're cold. Slalom Frog system is best, the fleece suit under the drysuit keeps you warm and dry...  :) 

Fleece Suit

Beaver,

Check this head gear and booties, I have them both, they work pretty good.

Head Hood and Booties

I wasn't going to give all the details cause I didn't think it mattered, but I actually wear north face fleece sweat pants, a columbia fleece sweatshirt....same stuff I wear under my ski pants and coat when I head up to the mountains :)

Hey JETSKIPRO, I think that stuff we used to keep the seals nice was some sort of a food grade silicon. Not sure why it would be used with food, i just remember them saying that. It was only silicone, nothing else. they sold it at AWS in Portland

At AWS they sell it as 'Shark Spray' - and yes, it is food grade silicone. I use it on the seals before putting on the suit and then also spray it periodically during storage.

Jack, try here...I believe the SealSaver or the pump lubricant (go ahead, I'll tee that one up for you) is the "edible" lubricant that you've been hunting. Enjoy! Biggrin.gif

Edited by HRemington

Ah, thanks Hank! As I'm sure you know, there's nothing worse than having your pump seize due to lack of lubrication. Using it for drysuit seals is really just a BONUS!

Oh, and Hank, you need to get yourself a new avatar before the onslaught of the Winter Games. . .  ;)

OK, but why do I have to have an avatar, and what does that have to do with the Winter Games™?

Anybody ever find a can of this stuff online? I've heard people talk about this stuff, but have never seen it anywhere. 

Jack,

THIS is what I bought 12 years ago, used it once, still sitting in the basement, suppose to work real good, I also bought the wax, never used it, I wonder if is still any good?... Biggrin.gif

Ozzy, link not working right for me--sends me to an intro page. So what are you saying, you don't do anything for your seals? Just curious. I never did anything for mine either, except treat them with care. Apparently not as much as was needed for my neck seal--the neoprene type.

Oh, and Hank, you need to get yourself a new avatar before the onslaught of the Winter Games. . .  ;)

I think I've still got my entry stored somewhere... :)

Things got so confusing for awhile there, not sure I remember which "entry" you had. . .

I almost started the hijinks the other day, but thought it a bit uncouth prior to the holiday season. There are others among us, unfortunately, who do not demonstrate the same well-mannered restraint that comes with maturity.

OK, but why do I have to have an avatar, and what does that have to do with the Winter Games™?

Why is easy: I took one cursory glance on the upper left of your post and thought, "what a d!¢ß." Laughing heartily however, as I thought it.

As far as the Olympics, let's not let the Winter Games cat out of the bag for the newbies just yet, shall we?

Crazy.gif

I think I've still got my entry stored somewhere... :)

Things got so confusing for awhile there, not sure I remember which "entry" you had. . .

How'd your trunk lid hold up this summer? ;)

ahhhh, was that the "ballast babes" entry? See what you've started Jack, this is already losing the newbies and if I change my avatar again, it all starts getting freaky.

Speaking of last year's reindeer games, the other day I was googling® for info on a particular ski, and what should I find but an item that I could tell was from an old MBO thread...when I clicked on it, it was like traveling back in time on memory lane. There were, of course, insightful comments from yours truly, with Jack's boat as my avatar. There was Jack, with the homemade snowman avatar. There were old friends not since heard from like Gordon (Rinkopr) and going4morebouys. Of course, there was also Ru....give me a minute...I'm OK...there was Tom, the lovable know-it-all-of-the-knorth, that cantankerous contrarian canuckian®. It was like having the old MBO back for a while.

Maybe we should spend some time this winter trying to get some of those guys to join us again. What about Driftwood, Rod R, Rod S, Keith (Hawaiianstil'n) and all the other veterans? Are they on WSR, or did they run away with Rutat?

OK, nostalgic hijack off...

Ozzy, link not working right for me--sends me to an intro page. So what are you saying, you don't do anything for your seals? Just curious. I never did anything for mine either, except treat them with care. Apparently not as much as was needed for my neck seal--the neoprene type.

Jack,

Sorry about that... I should have told you once you get to the "Home" page click on "Products" then "Wet/Dry Suits" then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and you'll see Mike sells both the lube and the wax.

You got it right, I do the same as you, except the first year I bought my second dry suit I treated all the seals, besides that one time I do nothing to the dry suit but to handle it with care, during the Spring and Fall I keep it hung in the garage, all other times I keep it hung in the basement. :)

the other day I was googling® for info . . . There were, of course, insightful comments from yours truly

So you're saying you googled® yourself? Shocking.gif

;)

I occasionally venture into the time machine for a few bits of info, and get a blast from the past as well. Nostalgic hijacks are ok. :)

during the Spring and Fall I keep it hung in the garage, all other times I keep it hung in the basement.  :)

See, seasonal use is good for the suit. And then you keep it in a cool, dark environment. Long live your drysuit!!!

I'm looking at a USIA for the spring. Gotta have something that allows for footin, then just a matter of when I give it a go. I think a tumble-up off the boom in the frigid water might be a good thing. . .

(edited for semantics)

Edited by VinRLX

Had a pair of 48's today. Biggrin.gif

48* water / 48* air - Almost made the 100 rule. :)

My boy (12 yo) drove pulling a skier for the first time today and did awesome. Yahoo.gif (he pulled SacRiverRat & I wakeboarding at the end of summer) Yahoo.gif He is already a better driver than one of the guys in my crew. Yahoo.gif

Had a pair of 48's today. Biggrin.gif

48* water / 48* air  -  Almost made the 100 rule. :)

My boy (12 yo) drove pulling a skier for the first time today and did awesome. Yahoo.gif  (he pulled SacRiverRat & I wakeboarding at the end of summer) Yahoo.gifHe is already a better driver than one of the guys in my crew. Yahoo.gif

Who Troy? :lol: