Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick EFI/Fogging Question

Where exactly do you spray the fogging oil on an the Monsoon 340 EFI engine. There really is no apparent throttle body under the flame arrestor.

Thanks for any quick replies :)

Take each spark plug out and spray fogging oil in each cylinder. Put all the plugs back in but dont connect the wires. Crank the engine a few times. Put the wires back on. Good to go.

Thanks for the quick response, but if I did want to fog the engine through the throttle body per the manual, where would that be?

Just find where the air goes into the intake & fog it there. The other easy spot is the pcv valve (the little cylindrical shaped thing in the valve cover that is connected to the intake/throttle body with a 3/8" rubber hose). With the engine running, you can slowly dip this hose into the fogging solution. When the can is just about empty, dip it in all the way & let it kill the engine if it will - then your done & yes, it will smoke next spring when you first start it.

I dont know what to tell you there but the end result is the same. The reason you fog the engine is to coat the cylinder walls to prevent corrosion. Even with carb'd engines, I prefer to squirt each cylinder and turn the engine over. This way the oil coats the walls of the cylinder instead of burning off with the spark and ignition.

I don't know if it is the same on a 340 as it is on the 325 but I was wondering the same thing when I did mine. I took off the flame arrester and sprayed into the carb looking thing, even though the flapper was closed the spray was quickly sucked into the motor from around the edges, of the flapper thing.

I hope I got the technical terms right.

I think it worked cause the fogging stuff came out with the exhaust.

I wouldn't worry too much about hydrolock. As long as you only squirt a little in there. If you wanted to be super safe, after squirting it in there, instead of re-installing the plugs and turning the engine over. You could turn the engine over with the plugs out. If you had any excess, it would dribble out of the plug's hole.

I'd reccomend squirting the fogging oil into the intake with the engine running. That flapper thing is called the throttle plate. Just squirt it all around the edges of that round plate. The engine may not die becasue it's not taking in all that much oil. I just squirt some in there then shut the motor down. I think putting it in through the intake is better because it will coat some of the intake manifold and more of the ingestion components.

Edited by Pistol Pete

It would take a lot of fogging oil to hydrolock. But I suppose you could do it if you didn't know what you were doing and were spraying it into the plug hole. But I do exactly what Pete mentioned - I turn it over with the plugs out after fogging. My primary reason for doing this is to not get the oil all over the ends of the plugs. Not that it will foul them, but it isn't necessary. I pull the plugs, squirt all the cylinders, turn it over for a second or two, squirt them all again, turn it over again, and then install the plugs. The engine is then done, not to be turned over until spring. Oh, be ready with a shield or something when turning it over with the plugs out. You might get a puff of oil out onto the carpet.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that if hydrolock is a concern for you, it will never happen with the plugs out.

Edited by vette-ski

It should suck like a ..... oh nevermind.

The hose you need may not be on the pcv valve - I can't remember exactly how it's hooked up. But IIRC there are two hoses, one goes to a pcv valve on one valve cover and the other hose goes to an elbow fitting on the other valve cover. You want the hose that connects directly to the intake. The other one connects to the flame arrestor above the throttle body. There won't be any suction on that hose. There should be on the one connected directly to the intake, or you would have no vacuum and the engine wouldn't run.

Take each spark plug out and spray fogging oil in each cylinder.  Put all the plugs back in but dont connect the wires.  Crank the engine a few times.  Put the wires back on.  Good to go.

i was considering this approach but would like to kill the injectors before cranking so i am not washing the oil off the pieces and parts. iirc i can crank with the kill switch (safety lanyard) pulled (and the injectors would not be cycling).

is this correct?

I know a guy that thought it would be cool to cut a hole in the hood of his old Nova so you could see his new Holley Double Pumper. Then one morning it didn't start. He tried to boost it........ he tried a new starter........ finally he thought he would pull start it ( it was a manual ). Did I forget to mention that he was a redneck and was probably drinking this particular morning?

Anyway he pulled it with a buddy's truck to about 40 MPH and dropped the clutch.

When they tore the engine apart to see why it still wouldn't turn over, it had a connecting rod bent like an "L".

He forgot that it rained the night before!

I guess he found out that his valves were seated pretty good. :)

Take each spark plug out and spray fogging oil in each cylinder.  Put all the plugs back in but dont connect the wires.  Crank the engine a few times.  Put the wires back on.  Good to go.

i was considering this approach but would like to kill the injectors before cranking so i am not washing the oil off the pieces and parts. iirc i can crank with the kill switch (safety lanyard) pulled (and the injectors would not be cycling).

is this correct?

Ted, not sure on the lanyard. Can you shut off the fuel line switch before the fuel filter to be sure? May take a few key cycles to get rid of any fuel still in the rails by using the schrader valve.

Wow,

Fuel washdown was a good catch, tvano.

I think 'how to fog an engine' is going to turn into the never ending opinioin of 'how to drain engine block'.

I believe that if you leave out the safety lanyard, the injectors will not fire. Now that I think of it, leaving the spark plug wires off while cranking the engine isn't a good idea. The spark will jump to the closest ground, possibly you. If it can't find a suitable ground, it'll put a lot of stress on the coil for that short time.

Why not do what I suggested earlier and just spray it in the throttle with the engine running then shut the engine off?

Where exactly do you spray the fogging oil on an the Monsoon 340 EFI engine.  There really is no apparent throttle body under the flame arrestor. 

Thanks for any quick replies :)

Thanks for the quick response, but if I did want to fog the engine through the throttle body per the manual, where would that be?

Why not do what I suggested earlier and just spray it in the throttle with the engine running then shut the engine off?

that assumes i have flush pro or a lake that is not frozen. we ski till the pond freezes.

I think Pistol Pete was answering the original question from Troy.

Fogging my engine was the only thing I forgot to do this year. However, I read a few posts that recommended against it anyway for a MPI for various reasons.

Fogging my engine was the only thing I forgot to do this year.  However, I read a few posts that recommended against it anyway for a MPI for various reasons.

Does the Clymer Manual deal with winterizing. If yes, what they say should be the definitive answer as to whether to fog or not.

Personally I would not store without fogging. Ended up with a very small rust spot, visable thru the spark plug hole, on an outboard I once owned. It cratered a season later.

that assumes i have flush pro or a lake that is not frozen. we ski till the pond freezes.

Or, you went to the hardware store and bought a $5 toilet plunger and a $3 garden hose coupling and stuck it into the side of the rubber plunger. Oh, wait, I just gave away the patent for a fake-a-lake.

Man, I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and refer people to my signature.