Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What made you buy a 'Bu?

itsonlywater

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Lightning

• shawndoggy

• windy1

• nyryan2001

This is my first Malibu and I have only spent about 15 minutes on the water in it during a demo day the dealer put on. Took delivery at the end of December and it is driving me crazy waiting for warm enough weather to not have to drain the engine after using it.

I grew up on a lake and first skied behind a 14 foot aluminum boat with a 35HP outboard. We had a great time with that boat. That was in the late 70's. My folks had a resort in Idaho and I pumped gas all summer at the marina. I saw several Nautiques and Master Crafts and had the chance to ski behind them. I knew at that point I would someday have a nice tournament boat.

As soon as I graduated from college my wife and I bought a 2 year old Nautique 2001 with 40 hours on it. Over the next 10 years put a little over a 1,000 hours on it. Great boat, never had any real problems with it. The filler tube broke off the gas tank once, that was a bit scary. So many great memories with that boat. It was before we had kids and we loved the boat. I bought that boat in 1989 for $13,000 and sold it in 1999 for $12,000.

Once we started a family we wanted a V-drive as the DD had no room at all. We looked at all the models at that point and ended up with a Centurion Elite-V. We liked the features on that boat and the price was quite a bit less than the other major brands, this was in 1999. We bought the boat new. It was a bit cheaper than the Malibu, and quite a bit cheaper than the Nautiques and Master Crafts. This was a great boat. It did everything OK, nothing great but worked for us. It didn't have any tanks as I didn't wakeboard when I bought it. Added a tower after a couple years. We used that boat for the next 10 years and never lost time on the water due to a mechanical issue. It ran just as good the day I traded it in as the day I bought it. I probably would still have that boat but the kids have started to bring out more and more friends. At the end of this last summer we decided to pull the trigger on a bigger boat. I have always been a boat show fanatic and over the last several years really started to want a Malibu as my next boat.

The simple design of the interior, the Malivue, Power Wedge and Tower were what really made the decision for us. Oh, and the price was better than the Nautique or the Master Craft. I have a friend that bought a SAN a couple years ago and have been behind that boat alot. I really liked that boat also. I am hoping to have the same luck with this boat as I have with all my other boats and can't wait to start creating a new set of memories with this boat. My 14 year old son has also been going to shows with me over the last 5 years. He was one of the biggest fans of the Malibu's and wanted nothing else. That led me to believe the boat must be pretty cool. I also thought it was cool but as a 40 something my thoughts on what is cool often mis the mark.

This site also helped a lot in my decision process. The members have all been very helpful. I frequent a number of larger boat forums and the members on those can be hit or miss and not always friendly or helpful. Any question I have had related to the Malibu's have been answered here and without even one negative comment. I also went to the after Christmas social for NorCal and everyone there was great. Am really looking forward to meeting up with many of the members here on the water over the coming years.

Finally, I have met a few people from the Company and have also really liked all of them. From some of the ownership group, to factory reps at boat shows to the folks at the Sporting Edge in Antioch as well as other dealers, all have been great.

We were looking for a V-drive, or maybe a dd and test drove new and used and shopped a lot. I have been drooling over Malibu's since I think Bakes showed up for the first time at the Seattle Boat Show. Somehow we justified buying a new VTX but I am not sure how that happened :dontknow: They are just so nice, and drive so nice compared to other boats, and the VTX is a great all around boat is what I think sold us.

Never really considered MC, new or used, thought about looking for used Nautiques, but their layouts are just not that space efficient and they are kind of "cold".

Edit - I have to add, after reading GregTay's post that Bakes also factored into our decision for pretty much the same reasons.

Edited by MalibuTime

We weren't really in the market for a boat but it was a deal too good to pass up and I'm glad we didn't. We knew the previous owners and knew the boat was cared for and maintained; when they moved away and had to sell the boat we asked what their best price was and made a deal.

My wife skied a little before we bought the boat and I'd wakeboarded a few times but since we bought the boat we both look forward to getting up early on Saturday and Sunday to find smooth water. My goal next season is to ski more. We weren't in the market for a boat, but have used it much more than we could have imagined.

Another reason, I forgot to mention why I bought a malibu, is when looking for a boat, I browsed all the forums (malibu, moomba, teamtalk, etc), and posted some questions.

I found the most info, and the most helpful people here that made me understand the boat, and know there was support out there. I'm a DIY guy 100% of the way, the forums are a priceless asset.

This was my original thread, not so long ago, before I bought.

I'll play.

First boat was a '97 Sunsetter that I bought from the parents (LS-One). Bought it because the old Malibu never had problems and this one didn't either. Plus i knew how it was taken care of and I couldn't pass up on the deal. Along with that if I ever had issues I could get help from him without ever talking to a dealer. The only reason I sold it was because I really wanted the room of a v-drive. There was a reason that Sunsetter was nicknamed "Old relaible".

Second boat was an '06 Wakesetter LSV. Bought it because it was a great deal. Sold it because I wasn't a fan of the LSV wake.

Last boat is an '09 Sunscape LSV. Couldn't pass up the deal and hopefully will keep it for a long time.

Our decision was based on the reputation and functionality of the thing. This thing handles like nothing I have ever owned and will do absolutely every thing we need it to do. Another extremely important factor in our decision was the dealer, the Edge. They literally spent hours talking to us over the course of almost a year. They were patient and informative and pointed us in just the right direction. Coming from an I/O we knew next to nothing about inboards. I simply don't see myself getting out of the Malibu for anything else. We live on a lake over-run with Moomba, and MC's. It is nice to have something a little different. Beyond all of that, the thing sounds cool.

Wife found ours at a moving sale, she said they wanted $800.00 and it needs some work. I told her to take some pics & I'll look at them when she gets home. I thought it was an open bow Bayliner the way she described it. After looking at the pics I was there the next day with my buddy who knows a lot about inboards. Bought it for $1,500.00 the next weekend. Came with tandem axel trailer, skis, tubes, ropes, jackets, & a wake board. It needs some work but I couldn't pass it up with 350 +/- hours on it. Former owners used it once a year on a 2 week vacation with family, moving to Utah from Michigan they didn't want to take it with them. I paid more for my boat lift than the boat.

Thanks, my buddy wanted to buy the boat the day we were there, and said he would if I didn't. Mostly mastercrafts & natiques on the lake I am at so I didn't know much about Malibu boats. As others have said, it is nice to have something different & this site is awesome for information.

We compared and test drove the following: Mastercraft X45, Enzo 240, Tige RZ4, and the 'bu 23LSV. We were stepping down from our big Crownline... so we wanted luxury + fun and i love technology. We drove the bu last.. and i can honestly say the moment Brett started the motor up i was in love... so for us...

1) Loved the look/style (luxury in a wakeboat) The boat just looks amazing.. really stands out.

2) The great wake abilities/adjustabilities (ballast tanks that didn't take up your storage)

3) Drove like an absolute dream... felt and sounded like a sports car

4) Brett and Paul at Bake's... having someone that really knows the boat without cheese sales tactics. They didn't have to sell me on the boat.. the boat sold itself.. but they delivered the kind of customer service you can only dream of.

That was 3 years ago... never doubted our decision.

We compared and test drove the following: Mastercraft X45, Enzo 240, Tige RZ4, and the 'bu 23LSV. We were stepping down from our big Crownline... so we wanted luxury + fun and i love technology. We drove the bu last.. and i can honestly say the moment Brett started the motor up i was in love... so for us...

1) Loved the look/style (luxury in a wakeboat) The boat just looks amazing.. really stands out.

2) The great wake abilities/adjustabilities (ballast tanks that didn't take up your storage)

3) Drove like an absolute dream... felt and sounded like a sports car

4) Brett and Paul at Bake's... having someone that really knows the boat without cheese sales tactics. They didn't have to sell me on the boat.. the boat sold itself.. but they delivered the kind of customer service you can only dream of.

That was 3 years ago... never doubted our decision.

Thanks Greg for the compliment! We wouldn't be Bake's with out our customers so thanks for your business and support over the years! I look forward to many more!

-Paul

I don't have a Malibu but I have it's little brother an Axis. The reason for buying mine would have been the same for a malibu my local dealer marine outfitters. They are great to work with and made buying my boat a pleasure. I had been kicking tires at their shop for at least five years before I could get my boat and they are always happy to answer questions talk boats or whatever. It doesn't matter how good a boat is if the people selling and servicing them aren't any good.

our story is really not unique - we were at a tournament a couple years back and the dealer, who with we are pretty good friends got to talking and he mentioned that he was going to be taking on a new boat line - Malibu. he had a ton of inventory and if I had an inkling to upgrade from a DD to a V-drive, now would be a great time. Our family had focused on wakeboarding and my kids were really improving and I wanted to make certain that they continued to progress, our thinking was that we really will only have them at home a couple more years so what the hell - lets make it fun. at the end of the day he agreed to tow an 09 V-ride to his lake and I agreed to drive down and check it out a couple days later. they E-mailed me a couple pics and I did some research - I threw up a post on this forum asking some of the members thier thougths - someone posted that they had the identical boat and had a tough time clearing the garage door opening. at the demo we measured and sure enough, the wisdom of this forum proved true. I callled our dealer and told him we'ed pass on the upgrade. a couple weeks went by and he called with a new 08 that had a different dash configuration that allowed the tower to fold a couple inches lower - I purchased the boat sight unseen - added a heater and a shower - took delivery a couple days later and have been a pretty happy customer ever since. we had some minor cosmetic issues but malibu stepped up as did the dealer(s) - both AWS and Bakes went out of thier way to make the experience positive...

Hi all, new member here. I have a few local friends with Malibu's that I have gotten to ride behind and they told me to come sign up. I don't own a boat yet, hopefully next season, but here are the reasons why it will likely be a 'Bu.

Malibu:

Wake: The wake with the stock ballast and wedge is awesome and all I will ever need for wakeboarding. The surf wake was also amazing with just a surf sac.

Power Wedge: Can change/shape the wake at the push of a button to fit a variety of riders. I like how quick/easy it is to change without having to wait for ballast to fill/drain.

G3 Tower: Solid with great looks and ease of folding for storage. I have a large garage but a low door, so it will get folded often.

Quality/Comfort: The Malibu's I have been on have all been very well built with great interiors that were well laid out and very comfortable.

Design: Seems like the design is very well thought out. Ballast pumps are easy to get to and can be switched around if one dies. Dash is clean and highly integrated. Drain plug is accessible from inside, etc. One of the nicest looking boats on the water in my opinion.

Handling: Being the owner I will probably do most of the driving, and the 'Bu's are still plenty fun behind the wheel.

Salesmen/Dealers: My wife and I met the No Wake guys at the Cinci boat show, and they were all friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. We had a great time talking with them and they spent lots of time with us looking at the various models to help determine which one fits us the best. Certainly a group that I look forward to working with in the future.

Friends: The most important part! We have met some great friends just from being on/around Malibu boats and we can't wait to have another fun summer with all of them. Plus they would disown me if I got anything else! :biggrin:

Mastercraft:

I checked out some Mastercraft models as well at the show, an X2 and the X25. I have been around some of the older models before and the newer X2 had caught my eye as it always looked great in the pictures. However in person I was just completely turned off by both of these models.

Dashboard: Terrible design, it looks like a bunch of erector set parts just bolted on in random places. It will look VERY dated in just a few years.

Interior: I didn't really like the feel of the vinyl they used and the seat padding was very hard. It just wasn't nearly as comfortable as the Malibu's we have been in.

Bow area: I am a tall guy and I could not stretch out even in the big money X25. The pickle fork may have more total room, but it was very short in both the X2 and X25. By comparison even in the VTX I can stretch out my legs.

Tower: It didn't seem nearly as rigid as the Malibu tower, it blocked the drivers view a bit, and didn't flow with the lines of the boat nearly as well. Folding it seemed like a 10-step 2-person process. I did like their board racks though with clamps instead of bungees.

Salesmen: The biggest turnoff of all was our experience with the salesmen at the MC booth. A 20 year old kid trying to sell me a $65k boat by trash talking Malibu (they must have seen us over there), saying things like "these have the sickest wake" and "I used to work for Malibu and their not half the quality of Mastercraft" and "These towers are rock solid" etc. Give me a break. I just shook the tower myself so I already know you are full of sh*t. If that's the attitude I can expect from that dealer then no thanks. Im sure they make great boats with a nice wake, just their current design direction just isnt for me.

Nautique:

They seem like very nice boats (although they weren't at the show), I'm just not a fan of the tower and more importantly the price tag. I've also read and talked to some folks who say they are more weight sensitive than the 'Bu in terms of getting a clean wake.

Axis:

Very cool boats that are a close 2nd place for us. It seems like you get a whole lot for your dollar, and I like the more straightforward dashboard layout (fewer electronic doodads than the Bu). However we just didn't like the overall interior layout and looks quite as much as the Malibu. I hope some of my friends pick one up so we get a chance to ride behind one because they seem like a really great boat! :thumbup:

This is pretty much the sexiest wakeboat I have seen, I would order a VLX with this color layout in a heartbeat:

4838276247_f8217601ed_b.jpg

Edited by Brett B