Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is this on my Echelon?

94wedge

Oh man. I didn't realize that was your boat! I saw the pic in Paul's quote contest. We need the whole story!!!

It probably starts with "So this one day, I let my buddy drive my boat...."

I love the expression on the guy in the back.

Oh man. I didn't realize that was your boat! I saw the pic in Paul's quote contest. We need the whole story!!!

I remember asking about that and he told us the story....

Think it goes a little like this IIRC...

Weighted Echelon + coming off plan + unexpected roller = Echelon Submarine

Malibudude made me laugh on that one. And he's right. On that day it was a water intake.

The short of the story is I was driving. We had a full boat but no extra weight besides people and gear (no ballast). We were following the boat that the picture came from, a heavily weighted wakeboard boat, and got caught in a bad spot, it was like the perfect storm. Stern got lifted by 1 wave, nose went down into the next, water got up to the top of the windshield but not much over. I pulled it out of gear and everything was ok. Had it been an open bow it would have been ugly. The waves were pretty big.

The guy who took the picture wasn't even taking the picture of us. He just caught it in the background.

Malibudude made me laugh on that one. And he's right. On that day it was a water intake.

The short of the story is I was driving. We had a full boat but no extra weight besides people and gear (no ballast). We were following the boat that the picture came from, a heavily weighted wakeboard boat, and got caught in a bad spot, it was like the perfect storm. Stern got lifted by 1 wave, nose went down into the next, water got up to the top of the windshield but not much over. I pulled it out of gear and everything was ok. Had it been an open bow it would have been ugly. The waves were pretty big.

The guy who took the picture wasn't even taking the picture of us. He just caught it in the background.

Oh man that is nuts. I didn't figure you were weighted considering the barefoot boom and footing suit. Hard to foot with those rollers!!

My dad chilly dipped the Skier when I had it a couple times. Being a closed bow it makes it a pretty minor indecent, but your right - an open bow would make a bath tub pretty quick instead of just shedding the water off.

Dunked my open bow twice last year. First time with rollers like yours, but nowhere near as bad. Second time had my wife, daughter, and niece up front with no counterbalance weight in back. Came off plane and the water came just above the rails, about 3 gallons worth. Either way, no big deal.

My brother has stated that he's had water come over the windshield in his closed bow of a different brand. He says to just duck and let it hit the people in the back seat, like Splash Mountain.

As long as you empty the bilge, wipe down the vinyl, and open all the compartments to let the boat dry out when you're done, it's not as bad as it looks.

I always tell my kids--first rule of swimming is that you're going to get wet. Just sometimes it happens when you're not planning on it.

By the way, on my boat only one of these intakes is functional, the passenger side has no hole cutout or hose going down to the bilge area.

I've pretty much perfected the chili dip. My kids love it when someone unexpectedly sits up front while we are towing "Do it dad, do it!" Most of the time I don't, just cuz I don't want to wear out the thrill. But I've drenched a few that were sitting up front. After a couple of mishaps during season #1 without the I/O, I figured the best way to learn how not to chili dip was to learn how to.

By the way, on my boat only one of these intakes is functional, the passenger side has no hole cutout or hose going down to the bilge area.

Same here. Doesn't make much sense. I don't know how many Echelons were made in total but that's one more piece of plastic, and labor, that could have been avoided.

It probably starts with "So this one day, I let my buddy drive my boat...."

I love the expression on the guy in the back.

hahaha... That happened once when I let my father in law drive my 98 Response LX but that photo is awesome, talk about timing.

The expression of the guy in the back is priceless

-Paul