Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

303 Protectant

gripnrip

I have a 2003 Malibu LXI and ever since purchasing the boat I've used 303 Protectant two - three times a year. Over the past year I've noticed that my upholstery seems to be more susceptible to cuts and tears. I know that my boat is reaching 8 years old but when not in use the boat has been garaged. In addition, I've had an inexpensive boat where the upholstery has held up better after 7 years. I also used the 303 on my hot tub cover and it is now in very poor shape. I'm inquiring if anyone else who has used 303 has noticed any premature deterioration or is it just me?

I have a 2003 Malibu LXI and ever since purchasing the boat I've used 303 Protectant two - three times a year. Over the past year I've noticed that my upholstery seems to be more susceptible to cuts and tears. I know that my boat is reaching 8 years old but when not in use the boat has been garaged. In addition, I've had an inexpensive boat where the upholstery has held up better after 7 years. I also used the 303 on my hot tub cover and it is now in very poor shape. I'm inquiring if anyone else who has used 303 has noticed any premature deterioration or is it just me?

Had used it on/off on a boat purchased in 2001 with no issues. Have always heard it was one of better products out there.

Haven't noticed deterioration from 303. Seems like the older vinyl (like my 94) was tougher/harder. Even our old 86 Bayliner had some long lasting stuff in it. Newer vinyl seems more plush and soft, that may have something to do with longevity. Giving up a bit of lifetime toughness for comfort.

Hot tub covers lead one of the worst lives of anything in existence. Constant 100% humidity on the bottom, sunshine on top if outdoors, and when they are off, they dry out just a little bit before getting tossed back on. We have a replacement plan for ours (indoors) for about every 7-10 years. Our first one lasted 8, and we've had good luck with our current one, as well. The "bubble wrap" cover that sits directly on the water lasts 2-3, and not using it will quickly have adverse effects on the heavy vinyl wrapped cover.

Have seen some nasty brown and cracked vinyl from Armor All, though. ;)

I was doing a bunch of research on the internet, and 303 protectant came up on a bunch of forums as widely used and well known. No one seemed to complain about it or said anything related to problems long term.

Everyone said it worked well, as it had the most active ingredient (poly something..) but at the same time was expensive. I've been using Meguirs Natural Shine (since I had it) and it works well! Im going to try 303 next time.

Edited by Indyxc

I think it's really in the quality of the vinyl and stitching. On my last boat, an I/O, I used nothing but "Clorox Clean-up With Bleach" and water. I sold it 2 years ago and the boat was almost 20 years old, 13 of those being my ownership. The interior was like brand new. When I redid the upholstery in the Echelon (that I bought when I sold the I/O), I hand picked the material, and you could tell a massive difference in quality between a lot of the material manufacturers.

That said...I use nothing but 303 on the Echelon, mostly because of the input from this forum. But I've also used acetone recently when permanent marker was on it, and it did no damage. I've heard that with other boats that would eat right thru the vinyl. So again, it points to the material.

I have been using 303 for years and not a problem. I order it by the gallon at my auto parts store. It brings the cost down and has a long shelf life if kept in a cool out of sun location. I have a pontoon that has vinyl issues but I don't use 303 on it so shame on me. It has vinyl on some seats that have become dry and brittle and others that are as supple as day one. I am thinking it has something to do with the vinyl and manufacturing. My Bu looks like new my truck and car dash and vinyl look very good. In the end anything I have used it on has had no issues.

I have used 303 for a few years on my then new boats. I have never had a problem with the protectant but the cleaner has caused me some problems. I had a MasterCraft X2 and actually took off some of the top coat vinyl from the cockpit area of the boat. I used a little bit of elbow grease trying to get off a scuff but not that much. I switched last year to the BABEs products and have been very happy with them. Seems to work as well but not as harsh.

No problems here. I use the 303 very liberally, but also never use any harsh cleaners on my vinyl and minimize exposure to the sun, which I feel is the main enemy.

Worked well on my 8yo boat that was garaged as well, both Malibu and G&T (maker of the vinyl) recommend its usage. What are you using for a cleaner?

I use Babe's cleaner on the vinyl. After reading all the posts it may just be some misfortune on some areas. Its good to know no one else has been experiencing this.

I spent/wasted my money on a couple bottles of Babe's. Smells really good but that's about it, one cleaning requires alot of product and it's not near as shiny the next time I pull the cover off like it does now that I use 303. I would bet the Hot Sauce products are just as good as 303 as well.

ditto on the 303 recommendations - good stuff - steer away from any protectant that has petroleum products in it. that will ruin your vinyl in the long term. as for cleaners - you got to watch out on that front too - something too harsh will remove the top coat of the vinyl and it will deteriorate very quickly. I've foud that Malco plastic and vinyl cleaner does a great job cleaning the vinyl. for the stubborn stains (don't laugh) I use Malco with a vegetable brush then wipe everything down with the 303. Malco can be found in the internet and there's also a distributor somewhere in Kansas I think that ships all over and is "boater friendly" PM me if you want the details.