Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Camera Mount

tobaccoman

Anyone can buy the camera its the mount that cost 1400 crazy.......since Malibu uses a off the shelf cam set up

I was going to say...those cameras are the VIO POV cameras. I happen to have one myself, but not the fancy mounting system. Good cameras!

Why not go with a WakeJak set up? For just over $200 you have have the camera mount and a great set up for keeping the rope out of the way of racks and the bimini.

Those look pretty sweet. They definitely seem a good option over dropping a couple grand on a tower mount camera.

I dunno... the wakejack mount looks flimsy... like it'd loosen after pounding through some chop for a while. This one looks a lot more robust, especially if you are going to stick a "real" video camera up there (not a flip/gopro/playsport):

GetAttachment-5.jpg

I dunno... the wakejack mount looks flimsy... like it'd loosen after pounding through some chop for a while. This one looks a lot more robust, especially if you are going to stick a "real" video camera up there (not a flip/gopro/playsport):

GetAttachment-5.jpg

I checked with this guy a couple of months ago about this mount and he is not making them anymore. He said there wasn't enough interest in them.

Terry

Not sure if the mount would work as I don't have a boat yet and can't recall diameter of bar at top but I/O Port makes some good camera mounts for car racing that might work well. Solid as a slab of steel and dampened a bit to prevent high level distortion. In car, typically mounted to roll bar in the 2" diameter range and perhaps the actual mounting method isn't as elegant but might be worth looking at given cost ($55-60 bucks for small camera mount and $110 for larger cameras). Would be pretty easy to mount a Hero HD on a small mount.

Not sure if the mount would work as I don't have a boat yet and can't recall diameter of bar at top but I/O Port makes some good camera mounts for car racing that might work well. Solid as a slab of steel and dampened a bit to prevent high level distortion. In car, typically mounted to roll bar in the 2" diameter range and perhaps the actual mounting method isn't as elegant but might be worth looking at given cost ($55-60 bucks for small camera mount and $110 for larger cameras). Would be pretty easy to mount a Hero HD on a small mount.

gopro's 170* lens makes anything farther than 15' look really far away. So Gopro would not be good at all for filming stuff at end of wake rope, and would be "meh" for surfing if the camera is mounted to the tower. Plus a mount like you are describing would be fixed and would not track with the rider.

After having the opportunity to review the wakejak system I can tell you they have put together a great high quality system. I provided some feedback to them regarding the system and the next version improved upon the original released system. Ron is great to deal and I wouldn't be hesitant try try his product. They offer full refunds if you don't like it, and if you do tell them what improvements you'd suggest.

Just my $.02

After having the opportunity to review the wakejak system I can tell you they have put together a great high quality system. I provided some feedback to them regarding the system and the next version improved upon the original released system. Ron is great to deal and I wouldn't be hesitant try try his product. They offer full refunds if you don't like it, and if you do tell them what improvements you'd suggest.

Just my $.02

That's great feedback. So having handled the product you think it would it be safe to zoom around the lake with a dslr or full sized video cam up there?

I use the Wakejak system not the camera mount itself, but after using this product and talking w/ those guys they don't half arse their products. Would I use an SLR on the lake..umm no simply too expensive of a camera to be used in this environment, but I would trust that it'll stay.

I have the wakejack with camera mount. Doesn't feel flimsy at all to me. I use my Sony handycam but I am looking into getting a new video camera just because my old sony is not compatible with windows 7. I do take my expensive DSLR on my boat to take high res digital pics with but I dont think I would put it on the camera mount simply becuase it is not a video camera.

GetAttachment-5.jpg

I have used the wakejak with M-dude and it is built well and sure they have made improvements from his recommendations.

I'm not sure how the mount you mention would hold up with chop seeing how it just replaces the cap and is not bolted into place.

You just take off your pylon cap and install the mount where the cap goes.

I have used the wakejak with M-dude and it is built well and sure they have made improvements from his recommendations.

I'm not sure how the mount you mention would hold up with chop seeing how it just replaces the cap and is not bolted into place.

Pretty sure the cap gets removed on that one and it does get bolted into place.