Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure

I have owned 2 responses and a sunsetter and all of em have fluctuating oil pressures. I am sure it was just the sending unit, but is this a common thing for all Malibu's or have I just gottten lucky?

Is all a steer can do is try

At idle it will bounce from 0 to normal. It is solid when you are on plain. This last sunsetter I had was the worst one of all. Sits at 0 for about 8 seconds at idle then pops up to normal and so on. Hard to get used to. I just bought an 08 vlx and am wondering if this ones going to be that way too.

At idle it will bounce from 0 to normal. It is solid when you are on plain. This last sunsetter I had was the worst one of all. Sits at 0 for about 8 seconds at idle then pops up to normal and so on. Hard to get used to. I just bought an 08 vlx and am wondering if this ones going to be that way too.

It shouldn't be like that. The boat should still have some warranty left on it? If it does it take it in to the dealer.

Change to oil pressure sensor. $5 at Napa. Very easy to change. I am 99% sure this will fix your problem. I went through it on my VLX.

Do you know what the part number is for the oil pressure sensor? I think I am having similar issues.

I have the 325hp motor.

Edited by OStateVLX

No. What I did was take it off and took it down to Napa and they matched it up. Same thing with starters and other engine parts. They can match the numbers on the side. It will look just like the one you took off. This will save you a lot of money. Infact the most of the parts on the engine are just off the shelf items in a new box and tripple the price.

The fluctuations seem to be pretty common after a few years, but shouldn't be happening.

Many of the parts are the same & Napa is a great place to pick up the ones that are. You also need to realize that there are marine specific components on the engine - starter, alternator, water pump + others. Most of those differences are for corrosion resistance (brass vs alum) and spark protection - starter/alternator.

The spark protection (screens in all openings) are needed in confined bilge area & the corrosion protection is for the raw water environment vs antifreeze. You can use automotive equivalents for these, but are increasing your risk for fire should you end up with gas fumes from a leak anywhere in your fuel system.

This should be the Oil Pressure sender for pre-'07 Bu's from a variety of sources. Replacing this part is what fixed the fluctuations in the oil pressure gauge in my '01.

SkiDim Oil Pressure Sender

Napa Oil Pressure Sender

Bakes Oil Pressure Sender

There is a different Oil Pressure Sender for '07 & later Indmars

SkiDim Oil Pressure Sender '07+

The 08 shouldn't do it at all

As the know the older boats (late 90s early 2000s IIRC) did it all the time, usually is a grounding issue rather than a sensor issue.

-Chris

The fluctuations seem to be pretty common after a few years, but shouldn't be happening.

Many of the parts are the same & Napa is a great place to pick up the ones that are. You also need to realize that there are marine specific components on the engine - starter, alternator, water pump + others. Most of those differences are for corrosion resistance (brass vs alum) and spark protection - starter/alternator.

The spark protection (screens in all openings) are needed in confined bilge area & the corrosion protection is for the raw water environment vs antifreeze. You can use automotive equivalents for these, but are increasing your risk for fire should you end up with gas fumes from a leak anywhere in your fuel system...

Excellent point. This is important and can't be stressed enough. These parts are marinized (and thus more expensive) for a reason - so you won't risk blowing up your boat. Replace your marine starter with an automotive version i.e. and you're asking for it. Is saving $50 on a strater worth risking blowing up your $40 - 50K investment? Your call.

Ed

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem on my 01 VLX. I have replaced the oil pressure sending unit and im currently running 50w oil. I still get the low oil pressure signal 16-18psi when i stop to pic up a skier. It will also jump from 58 to 30 while cruising. Anyone know of any oil additives that help with viscosity?

Also, looked like my valves were a little dry when i checked oil yesterday. Could the oil pump be going out?

Thanks,

A lot of times it is nothing more than the electrical connection plug between the engine and the dash. The safest thing you can do is to put a pressure gauge directly on the engine. This will remove all doubts about what the gauge at the helm shows if it is irratic.