Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Series - Known Issues with Fuel Tank?

Hi experts,

I was wondering if there are known issues regarding the fuel tank of the 2010 Response series boats.

I'm especially concerned with the stability of the fuel tanks.

The reason for my question is, that while inspecting the inner rudder assembly today I made a scary discovery...

The fuel tank of my 2010 Response CB seems to be deformed.

It's lower middle section, above the rudder/exhaust is seriously sagging!

It's drooping so much that on one side it already sits directly on one of the exhaust tubes, touching it!

That definitely can't be good.

The material is so soft/flexible that I am easily able to push the middle section up to a straight angle.

The boat is in winter storage since a few months with just a few gallons of fuel.

I am pretty much scared to imagine how far the fuel tank will sag when completely filled or how it will behave when the boat is being used again in the summer.

I am really afraid that the tank will break and all of the fuel will spill into the bilge leaving me in a high explosive, inoperational vessel!!!

Even if it's a very tight spot down there, I was able to shoot a few pictures of the area.

I Attached three pics, and would appreciate some expert info on how I should proceed with this issue.

Thanks in advance!!!

David

Fuel-Tank-01.jpg

Fuel-Tank-02.jpg

Fuel-Tank-03.jpg

Sorry to hear you're having issues with such a new boat. Do you have any local dealer support in Germany? If so I would definately start with them.

-- Mike

Hi Mike,

yeah, we have a dealer nearby and I think I definitely have to "consult" them with my problem. (Boat is still under warranty.)

But I'd like to hear some thoughts/opinions from you folks first - usually the most valuable source of information!

Otherwise I suspect that the dealership will claim that everything is "normal" and I shouldn't worry.

it's really hard to tell from the photos if something is wrong or not. Do you have issues with ethanol in your fuel there? Ethanol can do some nasty stuff to fuel systems left untreated. Let us know what the dealer thinks after he looks at it. Hope it works out how you want it to.

- Paul

it's really hard to tell from the photos if something is wrong or not. Do you have issues with ethanol in your fuel there? Ethanol can do some nasty stuff to fuel systems left untreated. Let us know what the dealer thinks after he looks at it. Hope it works out how you want it to.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

so far Ethanol has never been a problem. We have just 5 percent of that stuff in the fuel.

At least until someday in 2011 when the government decides to switch to E10 nationwide.

That will be 10 percent Ethanol then.

(Especially during storage but as well from time to time within the season I add Sta-Bil of course.)

Maybe my earlier statement above could have been a bit confusing, I apologize.

... The material is so soft/flexible that I am easily able to push the middle section up to a straight angle. ...

The tank itself is solid, in no way macerated or sodden in a chemical way.

It is just so "thin" that I am able to push the "dent" upwards easily.

I'm really concerned that the tank will bent further (when filled up) or even worse - breaks when I hit a wake with a tank full of gas.

Edited by Chaabo

There was a previous post/thread here about the same problem on an older boat (not sure of the age but it was out of the warranty period). If my memory is correct, the tank actually sagged down enough to touch the rudder assembly. The fix was to remove the back seat, tank and what ever else is in the way. Then I believe a proper support was installed to bridge the gap over the bilge area.

If I find the thread for the previous occurance in a search I'll post it here.

On edit: Found the thread, it was on a Tantrum.

Edited by Wayne
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the sagging tank issue...

I forwarded the pictures to the dealership.

He said, it definitely looks not good, but I shouldn't worry about the tank breaking.

Such a thing has never happend.

He said it would be a good thing though to "build" and add some kind of "support".

So I got myself a piece of square aluminum tubing.

I cut it to fit in between the floor panels underneath the tank.

I covered the tube with self-adhesive cellular rubber and put it underneath the tank to support the area above the rudder.

Problem solved...

David

Had an 87 Supra with a 454 engine got really hot when the pump impeller went bad. My wife was driving the boat pulling a bunch of young tubers around lake. Got so hot it burn't the rubber and the fiberglass,basically it burn't the rubber and the fiberglss was smoldering. I was thankful that Supra had an aluminum tank on it. I'm for sure going to check my Response tank, this I feel is a very serious issue after what I saw!

Doesn't anyone regulate the safety of these fuel systems?

Had an 87 Supra with a 454 engine got really hot when the pump impeller went bad. My wife was driving the boat pulling a bunch of young tubers around lake. Got so hot it burn't the rubber and the fiberglass,basically it burn't the rubber and the fiberglss was smoldering. I was thankful that Supra had an aluminum tank on it. I'm for sure going to check my Response tank, this I feel is a very serious issue after what I saw!

Doesn't anyone regulate the safety of these fuel systems?

Sorry to be frank, but which is the bigger issue, the industry standard plastic tanks, or an operator not trained to monitor gauges and/or or using a boat with a bad impeller, a maintenance item? Probbaly worth noting that chaabo has a response CB, you have an lxi.

I think the coast guard.