Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I am sooo stoopid

Orange&MaliBlue

hey all... I've been on this site for 1+ yrs w/o posting. But now I need a shoulder to cry on.

I spent all morning researching which wake surfboard to buy my daughter for Xmas. I decide on the '06 Hyperlite Broadcast, type in my Visa #, and, very satisfied with my purchase, I look out the window. Good Lord, its just a gorgeous day. High Blue skies, about 82 deg; not a breeze in the air. Now, I'm all amp'd up from looking at boat stuff all morning, and decide we just gotta take advantage. Lets get out on the water !! But, its 11:30 am, and about an hour to get all the stuff together and get the boat in the water. So, lets hurry !!

Kids.... get your stuff! Mom... get the towels! Dad (me).... take the batteries off the charger, and get 'em back in the boat! ZAP, CRACKLE, POW !!!

You guessed it. In haste, I reversed the polarity on the battery hook-up to the stereo (luckily the stereo system has a dedicated battery). It was like slow motion when I was putting that positve cable on the negative terminal. My mind said no; my hand didn't listen.

I fixed the connections, turned the stereo on, and nothing. Power is getting to the HU, but no sound.

Question - did I fry the head unit, the amps, the speakers, or all of the above? Any thoughts?

The day turned out better... The water was pure glass; My daughter went wake to wake for the first time; and the Gators beat FSU. Ya-Hoo.

I had thought about, How to make charging the batteries easier. When I was racing with a friend and we hooked up a battery to start the engine, we used a heavy duty 12V quick disconnect plug. It was made for this type of thing. My friend also had one wired on the rear of his tow truck so we just plugged into the rear of the truck and then into the front of the race car and hit the starter button.

A plug like that would work great wired up to the boat batteries. Coil up some extra wire and tuck it out of site, when you need to charge the batteries, just pull out the wired plug and connect it to the battery charger. You could even have jumper cable ends on an extension to easily jump someone, or jump yours more easily if you don't have an emergency battery pack.

Just a thought.

If you are getting power to the HU but no sound you probably just blew the fuses on your amp(s) check them first.

Thanks Jetski.... I changed the fuses to both amps and we are back in business. Yahoo.gif O.A.R. never sounded better!!!

If you are getting power to the HU but no sound you probably just blew the fuses on your amp(s) check them first.

Thanks Jetski.... I changed the fuses to both amps and we are back in business. Yahoo.gif O.A.R. never sounded better!!!

NICE, another OAR fan on here Rockon.gif

Yeah - O.A.R is definitely on my favorites list. Listening to OAR while on the boat is a must!

drifting further and further off topic, have you had a chance to see them in concert since the release of their new album? The are much more "professional" sounding! I saw them last month for my 3rd time and it was the best concert yet!

drifting further and further off topic, have you had a chance to see them in concert since the release of their new album? The are much more "professional" sounding! I saw them last month for my 3rd time and it was the best concert yet!

I've never seen them in concert. My brother-in-law (who turned me on to OAR) has seen them a few times, and says they are great live band.