Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

docking lights

board brained

can anyone give me some feedback on whether docking lights actually work and help when putting the Bu on the trailer at night?

90% of the time I come back in the dark.

am thinking about having a set installed this winter, but have heard a few comments that they really dont work?

thanks

can anyone give me some feedback on whether docking lights actually work and help when putting the Bu on the trailer at night?

90% of the time I come back in the dark.

am thinking about having a set installed this winter, but have heard a few comments that they really dont work?

thanks

Your money would be better spend on tower lights IMO. The docking lights aren't very impressive for anything.

We modded my docking lights to hold a h7 hid i used a 8000kw bulb to go along with my blue light theme. They are a ton brighter than they were. Mine were not the led models that came out in 08.

We modded my docking lights to hold a h7 hid i used a 8000kw bulb to go along with my blue light theme. They are a ton brighter than they were. Mine were not the led models that came out in 08.

what did you have to do to the housing to get it to accept the H7 bulb? i thought the bulbs in there were MR16's.....

I usually come in after dark at a DARK landing.

No, the docking lights are certainly not floodlights, but when I get up there to the trailer I cherish the light they do provide in close quarters. Gives me enough light to get squared up on the trailer and then to hook, winch those last few inches and to snap on the safety chain.

With my previous boat we would set the parking brake in the truck then put it in reverse to utilize the back-up lights....that always made me a little nervous anyway.

On my boat the docking lights came from the factory on the same switch as the navigation (bow) lights. I soon moved them to a separate switch.

Beau

Or a hand held spotlight.

:rockon: There ya go. No need to cut holes or run wires in your boat. $20 and done. And you can use it to wipe the boat down, navigate in the dark, whatever.

Don't bother with the battery operated ones. They work great when their new. But in my boat, they sit for weeks or months & then I pull it out & it's dead. I just have the regular corded one..... works great everytime.

I have docking lights and about all they are good for is docking. I come in quite a bit at night and they are helpful around the dock. Adding runway type leds to your trailer would probably more helpful if you are trailering your boat a lot at night.