Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carpet cleaning

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• Wkerat

• WakeGirl

• jeffmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet???  Are they coming out with dd carpet savers?  i would love to order one for my response.

I called my Boat dealer, and he suggested I call Malibu (Ellery), which I did.

She is putting the bug in someones ear. Perhaps if more people call, then we might have a better shot at it.

The alternative, was to order the carpet from Malibu, and have a boat upolstery

shop do it- $600-$800. NFW !!!!!!

Just a tip I discovered a few years ago. Now when I really want my carpet deep cleaned. I pressure wash it at the car wash, then return home and wet-vac the water out of the carpet. Looks like new and even feels fluffy again. Everyone likes fluffy feeling carpet.

OK - how do you get soap residue out of the carpet? The previous owner of my boat apparently spilled the "binding lube/soap" and the carpet has a couple areas that I can't get all the soap out of. I've hit it with the power washer (several times), but every time I do, I still get suds.

Here's my carpet cleaning routine that has worked well with my first boat, and my current boat (except those soap suds):

Power wash the carpet, then shop vac, then leave in sun to dry. The carpet on my '97 looked new when I sold it in 03.

This last fall I rented (took from my dads grocery store) a Rug Dr. with the attachement to do cars, stairs, etc.. and I just set the machine in the boat and used the attachment. I couldn't believe how many spots/dirty areas came out and our carpet I swear turned a couple of shades lighter in color. I am going to do it again really soon and periodically throughout the summer because the water that we most frequently boat in is bad.

Speaking of cleaning carpet, there's no problem with just spraying the carpet down with a sprayer, right? After all, it's a boat, made to get wet...

No problem, just watch the gauges and any electronics you have. When i spray mine i take the seats out and cover any electronics as best i can. So far I have had no problems and the boats look like new(my old ones did, the new one is new, so I can't do much)

I like the idea of pressure washing the carpet to get back some fluff. Mine's flat as a flitter and rough as a cob. One thing I've always wondered about putting a fair amount of water in the carpet, is where does it go after it drains to the rear and goes under the backing of the rear seat (in a DD)? How far does the carpet extend under the gas tank area, and is there ever a problem with mildew under there since you can't get to it to dry it out?

The carpet goes all the way to the back of the hull (see construction pics). If your carpet is really dirty, the remaining water that runs under the fuel tank will seep back out on the floor and leave a dirty bathtub-ring on your clean carpet. To prevent this, I park the boat bow lower than stern then wet vac so the water runs out sooner rather than later. Sun drying also helps. Is that vague enough?

when parked stern lower, where does the water go, how does it get out?

Edited by HRemington

Up at the bow it can get down into the bilge. Once the carpet is completely dry, you would bring the bow up to drain the water. One thing to remember when you do this is to keep the bow cushions out so that the compartments up there can air out as well.

pull the drain plug - all of them. Then just powerwash the carpet and wet vac them as dry as possible. make sure all of the cushions are out and leave it in the sun.

so Tracie, are you saying its really better to do this with the bow lower and let the water drain forward? Then raise the bow after all dry so the water can get out?

so Tracie, are you saying its really better to do this with the bow lower and let the water drain forward? Then raise the bow after all dry so the water can get out?

Exactly. For me though, I don't do this, I just don't like the idea of a power washer in the boat. My Bissel does a nice job with a lot less water. Plus I can't leave my boat out in the sun without it ending up full of pine needles, & covered with sap & tree pollen, so it goes straight in the garage after it's been washed.

I do mine on a hill where the bow is up and work form bow to stern, which allows it to drain as i go and also keeps the spray going away from the gauges, etc.

Also DO NOT do your motor unless you know exactly what you are doing, especially if you have a carb. I have seen people get water in the motor doing this and have to pull the plugs and all that to get it to run again.

Tracie, one more question, since I've never seen new boat construction up close. Where at the bow does the water get out of the carpet and go to the bilge? And for that matter, does it have anywhere at the stern to go down into the bilge?

My Bissel does a nice job with a lot less water. Plus I can't leave my boat out in the sun without it ending up full of pine needles, & covered with sap & tree pollen, so it goes straight in the garage after it's been washed.

I know a good tree guy!