Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A20

Nipper

Jesus where do you guys come up with this stuff? The vinyl on my friends a20 is every bit as thick as the vinyl was on my super air nautique 230. I've seen vinyl cut by wakeboards, beer cans, sunglasses, etc on various boats.

That being said, yes, the vinyl on the 09 boats was not as thick as what is used on the 10 and 11 boats. You guys do realize that the axis boats are made on the same line by the same folks that make the other Malibu boats. It's not like the a22 and a20 are put together by a bunch of monkeys in an abandoned trailer park using scrap materials from walmart furniture.

That being said, yes, the vinyl on the 09 boats was not as thick as what is used on the 10 and 11 boats. You guys do realize that the axis boats are made on the same line by the same folks that make the other Malibu boats. It's not like the a22 and a20 are put together by a bunch of monkeys in an abandoned trailer park using scrap materials from walmart furniture.

Are you an Axis Dealer?

No, I'm not an Axis dealer. But, I'm an avid wakeboarder who lives down from the malibu, mc and skiers choice plants. I know various people who work at the BU plant and who are otherwise affiliated with Axis. I also know a bunch of people with MC and CC, and I'm good friends with the owners of several regional MC, CC, BU and Supra dealerships. I'm not any more loyal to Axis than any other brand that I think makes a quality boat.

My last 3 boats were 230's. I'v also owned an '07 VLX and an XStar. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what goes into a quality boat.

I bought an A22 this year after having ridden on and behind several A22's and A20's over the past 3 years, going to the factory, talking at lenth with Adam McCall, getting feedback from other Axis owners/dealers, etc.

None of my friends experienced any issues with the vinyl on the '10/'11 Axis boats, problems with the surf wave, etc. Quite frankly, I'm surprised with how much criticism I hear from BU owners as to the Axis boats. I'm also surprised when I hear comments like "the vinyl on the Axis boats is super thin", when that simply doesn't jive with what I've seen, touched with my own hands, and with what I've been told in terms of what materials are being used in construction of the Axis boats.

I was in Saskatoon yesterday with some time to kill so i went out to the malibu dealer and they had an A22 Vandall Edition in the showroom. Absolutely love the "tirAX" nose on it, so much room up front. I really liked the layout of the boat lots of room and tons of storage. Price point is very reasonable to!!! Then i went over and sat in a loaded up 247! OMG that is an amazing boat, the attention to detail was amazing. (i'd never sat in a new wakeboat before yesterday) however the 142K MSRP tag nearly made me choke on my gum! My wife is not a fan of boats or water in general but she liked the looks of the A22 a lot.

Just trying to figure out why you are getting all emotional, when folks are voicing points. The orginal poster asked for what folks thought, and folks chimed in. He would surely want as many views as possible--then make his own decision. No one said they were crappy boats made by monkeys, everyone said they had terrific wakes for the price. But they have to make chouices somewhere to get that price down 10-20K. He'll figure it out for himself whether or not the vinyl or resale for example are really issues to him.

I cant remember if the A22 I was on was an 09 or 10, but in no way was it close to Bu or MC/nautique vinyl. It wasnt Bayliner stuff, but it wasnt Bu/MC- that was the point.

I was asking if you were a dealer, because 3-4 times in just the 10 days or so I have been on here, I have seen dealers, sales reps and other folks come on here and scold folks for voicing any that opposes what they might have a financial interest in.

No man, I'm just voicing my opinion as well. I just don't think that the vinyl on the '11 I ordered is cheap or that it feels any thinner than what I had on my 230's.

Yes, the vinyl used on the '09 models was thinner, and my understanding is that less foam was used in the seats. However, those aspects of the Axis boats were upgraded substantially in '10.

I agree that a buyer is entitled to all sorts of opinions and should seek as much information as they can about a product before buying it. That's precisely why I spent hours upon hours crawling around in the A22's and A20's I've been on and educating myself as to the build process of the Axis boats. I wanted to form my own opinions from real world use and experience. I apologize if I sound defensive, but I feel compelled to address comments like "the vinyl on the Axis is super thin", when I think that they are misleading.

There is no need to get so emotional over others opinions. I was comparing the vinyl in the axis to the vinyl in a malibu, and in that comparison, even the '10 and '11 models are much thinner. It is a malibu site after all... In my exp both axis boats I've been on have had vinyl issues. The skins are one piece and they aren't the same skins used on the malibus. My malibu has two different types of skins for the cushions, a thinner smooth skin and then a thicker rough skin, on top where most of the contact with the passengers is done. Axis is a price point boat and they aren't going to put the same money into it that they put into the more expensive boats, simple logic. That being said they should put more money into the vinyl, because if you're dropping tens or thousands of dollars on anything thing you shouldn't have to worry about the parts that get used the most breaking down quickly.

I understand you're an axis owner and have a natural need to defend your purchase, but the comments made weren't BS they are based on my exp and they are key points as to why I didn't purchase an axis when I had the chance. Axis does have the best wakeboard wake out of all the price point boats. I think MB has better fit and finish for similar pricing.

CJAY,

I hear you about the vinyl, but I never said that it was the same exact vinyl as what is used in your VTX. Malibu's vinly is super thick and plush - no doubt. I simply compared the vinyl to what was in my SANTE 230. It appears to be virtually the same stuff.

Notably, I had problems with the vinyl in my '07 VLX - the charcoal areas on my sundeck discolored and the center rear seat tore at the piping. The same thing has happened on two of my other friend's '07 VLX's. No boat is perfect and it sucks that you have some friends who have also had problems with their Axis boats. I also had seats rip in my 230's at certain seams and have seen the same issue on other 230's.

We'll see how my boat holds up this season. If I have problems, I'll let you guys know. I just hope it performs the same as the A22's and A20's that my friends have owned.

I'll make sure to keep my nails trimmed though! :D

Edited by Chattwake

I think the strongest selling features of the A22 is the hull & engine, very very simliar hull to the Xstar, very slight differences towards the sides of the boat. Much cleaner look without the 4 post tower on the MC. Same engine choices 350 and 400hp. IMHO the sacked out wakes on A22 and Xstar are nealy the same--and thats a huge huge deal, the cleanest crisp wake I have seen. But the MC Xstar costs 80-90K new, and hell even used 2008 Xstars still cost 70K with 500 hours on them!

If the platform is digging on the A22 at 12 mph surfing and messing up the wake you need to put more weight in the bow, just gotta be carefull slowing down not to dunk the bow under a wave. Else you get a world class wake at 12 and 23 for a lot less cheddar.

I sat in the Axis line of boats at the chicago boat show this year and for the money nothing could match these boats. Losing the aisle in the bow is a small sacrifice to gain that launch seat in the middle of the bow and next to the driver, which is genius. I very rarely have seen anyone take out the bow filler cushion anyways.

I've been all over a few of them and am still trying to make a deal on getting rid of my Vride for one. I'm loving the thing and hope this deal works out so I'll own one this season. I've got a great price on my Vride if your interested. It's actually a little cheaper than the A20 and bigger.

Please tell me about the great price in the VRide. I'm not to far from you and in the market. Do you have it listed somewhere so I can see some pics?

Edited by Buwannabe

Propellerheads "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

The Whole song is unbelievable

Nice boat.

That may be the most fantastical mix of Shaft/Disco/007 music I have ever heard. :rockon:

Propellerheads "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

The Whole song is unbelievable

"decksanddrumsandrockandroll?" The orange one?

Yes, awesome Cd. I bought after the wakeboard movie "Mayday" came out although most people will recognize their music from The Matrix lobby scene.

My friend David just ordered his A20 yesterday. Solid white, no graphics, z5, wetsounds system, cement/black interior. Gonna be SICK!

What range of prices are they asking for 2011 A20 and A22?

Wow! This discussion got heated! Just because my wife doesn't like pickleforks? Gosh! Nice to know I'm not alone, though.

I do have one little clarification. That surf wake is easy to swell, it's just tougher to get a nice crisp curl. Not impossible, just notably trickier than a Ride or VLX. It's frothing the cap because of the way it is sliding over the platform at the stern. JMHO. Adam is the one with the Engineering degree from TTU. Next time you see him, pose the question.

For the record, I'd be proud to own one. Sick boat. I just like my Ride, and my wife.

Wow! This discussion got heated! Just because my wife doesn't like pickleforks? Gosh! Nice to know I'm not alone, though.

I do have one little clarification. That surf wake is easy to swell, it's just tougher to get a nice crisp curl. Not impossible, just notably trickier than a Ride or VLX. It's frothing the cap because of the way it is sliding over the platform at the stern. JMHO. Adam is the one with the Engineering degree from TTU. Next time you see him, pose the question.

For the record, I'd be proud to own one. Sick boat. I just like my Ride, and my wife.

Funny, my girlfriend, likes the boat, but hates the pickle fork as well.

After seeing the A20 and other new malibu boats, I've got to say the a20 is my next boat. Very functional, and rigid, although I'm not a fan of the windshield. Malibu used to tout the visibility with the frameless window, and now does everything seeminly possible to obstruct the view, with thick pillars all over the rest of the place.

The rest of the malibu boats looked decent, but to me way too much. All the malibus are trending to the equilvant of a Range Rover. A bunch of flash chrome, garnish, electronics, vinyl, that is making the boat a lot more expensive and a lot more likely to break.