Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast winterizing

I am heading down to pick up my new to me vlx. I have always winterized my own boats so not worried aboout the engine but do you have to do anything special to the ballast system? Thanks

post-15266-026888000 1296795903_thumb.jp

I am heading down to pick up my new to me vlx. I have always winterized my own boats so not worried aboout the engine but do you have to do anything special to the ballast system? Thanks

Other than making sure there isn't water in the tanks, no. But I would say that if it wasn't done already by the seller the damage would already be done anyways. Something you might want to check on when you get there, make sure all the pumps work and turn on and off.

Other than making sure there isn't water in the tanks, no. But I would say that if it wasn't done already by the seller the damage would already be done anyways. Something you might want to check on when you get there, make sure all the pumps work and turn on and off.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It is inside (non heated) and almost to New orleans, lowest temp forecast has been 32 so it should be alright but woulgnt that be a hoot...

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. It is inside (non heated) and almost to New orleans, lowest temp forecast has been 32 so it should be alright but woulgnt that be a hoot...

Just to ease your mind. I just picked up my new to make wakesetter from Florida, and drove back to Michigan. To winterize the ballast I just did what posts said on here, which was once the boat was on the trailer (after the water test), just make sure all the tanks are dry, and then cycle all 6 pumps on and off a couple times. Gets the water mostly out of the pumps.

After returning home, and in the garage, I know it's been freezing, and the pumps still work.

• 2 years later...

So I don't find much for ballast winterization on the site. I have an 08 LSV with all stock hard tanks (bow, mid-ship, port rear, starboard rear). I have seen people talk about back blowing the vent holes and pouring antifreeze in the tanks which I am interested in doing since it gets cold in Minnesota. All my other boats have been ski boats with no ballast so I have not had to worry about this.

Is there any way to tell what holes on the outside of the boat are drain holes and which are the vent holes? I only used them once to make sure the pumps worked so I do not remember where water was coming out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

So I just make sure there is no water in the tanks and then pour some antifreeze in each of the holes. That way both the pumps and tank have been protected.