Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where to put Ballast Switches???

Cdoogles

So I am making the final preparations to spend a weekend with the boat and hopefully get my rear ballast bags all hard-plumbed in. I purchased 3 factory ballast switches and the mounting hardware to hold them in place, but have yet to figure out where to put them. I am currently only going to install two of the switches because I am not positive I am going to hard plumb my front/center fat sacks, but would like the room to expand for at least one more switch if I decide to. I would like to be able to reach them from the drivers seat but that's really my only requirement. Thoughts? Ideas? It's a 2007 VLX and I don't have any free dash switches.. they are all used up with the quad ballast, tower lights, etc.

Thanks in advance crew!

So I am making the final preparations to spend a weekend with the boat and hopefully get my rear ballast bags all hard-plumbed in. I purchased 3 factory ballast switches and the mounting hardware to hold them in place, but have yet to figure out where to put them. I am currently only going to install two of the switches because I am not positive I am going to hard plumb my front/center fat sacks, but would like the room to expand for at least one more switch if I decide to. I would like to be able to reach them from the drivers seat but that's really my only requirement. Thoughts? Ideas? It's a 2007 VLX and I don't have any free dash switches.. they are all used up with the quad ballast, tower lights, etc.

Thanks in advance crew!

Below your shifter / above your breaker panel is a great place to add rocker switches. The factory uses this location for the heated seat switch & other options when the dash is full.

You can use this metal bracket for a nice clean finished look. Good luck with the project.

-Paul

Thanks Paul! When I first looked that is where I was thinking.... seems like there will be room to add more switches as needed too.

I had bought the mounting panel available here: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=13158

Seems like it will work through the vinyl.... but having screws hold the switches in place would be a nice alternative.

I did this last year. the location works great. The hardware works even better. You will find that there is a ton of room behind that panel. Just make sure and triple check your not going to cut any wire when you install the switches.

Thanks LilJohn. That's what I was hoping! What did you use to cut through the panel? I was thinking a combination of a razor and a jig saw if needed. If I recall it's pretty thin material there.....

Thanks again-

I had some time this weekend to work on a switch panel for my LSV and I figured I might as well put it up for everyone's view. It is not completed yet, I will be ordering the contura switches from bakes soon. I called them yesterday and asked for dimensions of the switch for the holes that I cut out on the panel. I started with a six dollar piece of 16 gauge steel from home depot. Cut out a piece of cardboard to a shape and size that I liked. Traced it onto the steel and cut it out with a metal cutting wheel. Bent the upper part in my vice to an angle that fits under dash and drilled two mounting holes. I just need to spray it with some black rust o lem and mount it to the dash. I like it facing the front because the switch covers from bakes have the fill and drain left and right arrows. Once I get everything together for the install, I'll take pictures and post them.

Picture079.jpg

Picture081.jpg