Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WInter ballast project questios

John23LSV

Want to start ordering some parts for my ballast project and I have a few questions for the crew. I have a 2000 LSV that's 23 feet and I'm going to put an 1100# sac on the regular side compartment and a 750# sac on the goofy side. Already moved the batteries forward under glove box compartment and sold the shower so compartments are clear.

Is the drain on the side of the vdrive large enough for two fill pumps to work properly? 1200 tsunami for the 1100# sac and an 800 tsunami for the 750# sac

I will be using a valve at the thru hull to avoid siphoning and home depot valves at drain pumps.

Is it a good idea to vent the sacs thru the drain line?

Want to start ordering some parts for my ballast project and I have a few questions for the crew. I have a 2000 LSV that's 23 feet and I'm going to put an 1100# sac on the regular side compartment and a 750# sac on the goofy side. Already moved the batteries forward under glove box compartment and sold the shower so compartments are clear.

Is the drain on the side of the vdrive large enough for two fill pumps to work properly? 1200 tsunami for the 1100# sac and an 800 tsunami for the 750# sac

I will be using a valve at the thru hull to avoid siphoning and home depot valves at drain pumps.

Is it a good idea to vent the sacs thru the drain line?

Supposedly the 3/4" thru hull fitting is good for 2000 gph. I've never done the math though.

I'm no pro. Just been reading on the forums on this not so awesome snow day. Wouldn't you vent the bags from the top and drain the bag from the bottom fittings?

I read in a earlier post that the bilge plug fitting is a 3/4" orifice, which supports a maximum of 2,200GPH. So I would say your fine.

Here is the link that has some pretty good info.

Thanks, Rob

I'm no pro. Just been reading on the forums on this not so awesome snow day. Wouldn't you vent the bags from the top and drain the bag from the bottom fittings?

I read in a earlier post that the bilge plug fitting is a 3/4" orifice, which supports a maximum of 2,200GPH. So I would say your fine.

Here is the link that has some pretty good info.

Thanks, Rob

Thanks BigRob, I read the post and everything should be ok on the fill side. As far as the draining of the sacs, I was trying to avoid drilling extra holes in my bu. Avoided the one in the bottom of the boat, now if I could avoid drilling the two holes for the vent lines and T into the drain lines. Currently there is a drain for the bilge out the starboard side and the older boats sidewall have less height then the newer boats. The drain goes out about 2/3 the way up the compartment. Which means about 2/3 up the side of the sac. I will have to drill two more holes on either side for the drainage of the sacs and to have it look right I will position holes at same height and area as the one installed by factory. I wanted to T off the drain line as I would route that line as high as possible with a ball valve to use as vent. I wonder if it will vent properly with the hole in the side being 2/3 the way up the sac??

Any thoughts on this design???

Are you not putting yourself at risk by not venting the bag? I undertand your bag might not fill 100% but I also remember reading one of our members poping a 1450 lb Enzo bag.

Thanks, Rob

Edited by BigRob

Thanks Liljohn, I will go with your wisdom on this. Is their ever a need to burp the sacs if air did get caught near the end of the fill? If so, do the sacs come with a air valve for the hole on top?

This is my first attempt at adding ballast, sorry about the questions.

Call me Mr Magoo, I just read the post and it answered all my questions. Thanks

Not sure if anyone has tried this, but wouldn't venting with a smaller line work as well. Would keep the pressure up as it overflows and then with a siphon break should be able to keep most of the water in pretty well too. You could t into an existing vent line and it would just flow out of there. Surely if the pump can't keep up enough pressure to pop a bag, this little release would be more of a pressure release than anything. would definitely offer some added protection against popage.

Edited by ryansgt

I would think it would come out but the outlet is on the bottom. That doesn't burp any air i'm guessing. I guess it would only matter for how much of a difference you get from burping.

with my unvented bags, once the bag pressurizes water starts venting out of the drain line. The drain pumps are not an impervious gate.

Be very careful with this thinking. while you are correct it takes alot of preasure to by pass the drain pumps. The preasure is strong enough to snap the wind damn in half easily. Don`t ask how I know.