Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air release valve?

Levi900RR

Anyone using these?

If they work well I can see them as being very handy... :surfing:

I was thinking about adding one to my 750's that are plumbed in but after discussing my set-up with Paul decided not to go ahead. Would limit the amount of water coming out of the bag when burping.

There was a thread on wakeworld a while back about making your own out of the existing plug. Apparently all the release valves are is drilled out in the middle with some smaller holes cross drilled through the threads... so you could basically make your own by drilling a couple of holes. One of the winter projects I hope to get around to.

Shawndoggy, you are exactly right. there is about a 3/16" hole through the center, then a 1/8" hole drilled across the threads. I have them on all 4 of my sacs, and they work great.

Shawndoggy, you are exactly right. there is about a 3/16" hole through the center, then a 1/8" hole drilled across the threads. I have them on all 4 of my sacs, and they work great.

I think this is what you meant, but I just want to clarify....you would want to drill about half way through the center of the plug (from the inside), then a 1/8" hole all the way through the threads (connecting the center hole to the thread hole). This way, it would purge air if you unscrew the plug and expose part of the 1/8" hole drilled across the threads.

If you drill all the way through the center you might not like how well the plug seals. LOL.gif

I think this is what you meant, but I just want to clarify....you would want to drill about half way through the center of the plug (from the inside), then a 1/8" hole all the way through the threads (connecting the center hole to the thread hole). This way, it would purge air if you unscrew the plug and expose part of the 1/8" hole drilled across the threads.

If you drill all the way through the center you might not like how well the plug seals. LOL.gif

Sorry, did I take it for granted that we are responsible enough to go boating, and fill ballast tanks but lack the common sense not to drill a verticle hole completely through the middle of the plug... I guess I did.

Sorry, did I take it for granted that we are responsible enough to go boating, and fill ballast tanks but lack the common sense not to drill a verticle hole completely through the middle of the plug... I guess I did.

Wow - sorry for clarifying. I just didn't want anyone to ruin a plug without thinking it through first. I'll step out....

Wow - sorry for clarifying. I just didn't want anyone to ruin a plug without thinking it through first. I'll step out....

To clarify - I was poking fun at myself. Nothing in your direction. Sorry for the mistyped humor.

so this is being used instead of a vent line? A vent line is much easier as you do not have to monitor the fill and burp the bag.

2w749_LG.jpg

We don't plumb a vent in any of the bag systems we do. We've found that bags won't fill all the way if vented and the bags won't "conform" to the compartment all the way. With the quick connect fitting on top its easy enough to burp it once to get the air out then you usually don't have to do it again for awhile. Downfall is you do need to watch the bag fill.

-Paul

If you don't use a vent tube, what happens if you leave the pump running after bag is full? I don't think pumps build enough pressure to pop a Fly High do they? Mine are vented and do fill completely then just run overboard through the vent tube. Why don't yours fill completely Paul?

I like the idea, I would drill my stock plugs but for 5 bucks I think I will just order 2 Air release valves.

I think if I had perminant tanks / bags I would look into the vent line, but I drain / roll up and store my bags when not in use so the Burp valve sounds like the way to go.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

:werule:

IMO if you have hard-plumbed tanks, the vent line is a nice convenience feature so you don't have to watch them fill and can just turn off the pump when you hear water pouring out the vent drain. As Paul said, a vent line will make it difficult to fill every last inch of the rear bays because water will follow the path of least resistance and go out the vent line before pushing the sack into every nook and cranny.

I use the air release caps on all my non-hard plumbed sacks and love it. It allows me to burp the sacks easily without fear of spilling more than a drop or two of water. I'm usually pretty on-point with not spraying water all over the boat, but I have dropped a cap more than once and have had to set down my beer/sandwich/cell phone while frantically searching for it and trying to put it back where it belongs to stop the stream of water spraying all over the boat. I don't mind the boat getting wet, but it's like a primal reaction to stop the flow of water into the boat. :biggrin:

If you don't use a vent tube, what happens if you leave the pump running after bag is full? I don't think pumps build enough pressure to pop a Fly High do they? Mine are vented and do fill completely then just run overboard through the vent tube. Why don't yours fill completely Paul?

Since its a aerator pump the pump doesn't build enough pressure to do much of anything. With those old blue straight line fittings you would blow the fittings off but the threaded fly high fittings hold solid.

Do your bags expand to the compartment? By not filling all the way i meant the bags are loose and not coming all the way up to the top of the compartment. I don't know how much more volume you get by not venting it but there is a noticeable difference in the bag. Another problem is where do you vent from? The vent should be on the top, but so should the fill and stock bags only have one 3/4 fitting on top.

Nothing wrong with doing a vent, just don't see the benefit of doing it (other than not having the leave the hatch open when filling)

-Paul

Since its a aerator pump the pump doesn't build enough pressure to do much of anything. With those old blue straight line fittings you would blow the fittings off but the threaded fly high fittings hold solid.

Do your bags expand to the compartment? By not filling all the way i meant the bags are loose and not coming all the way up to the top of the compartment. I don't know how much more volume you get by not venting it but there is a noticeable difference in the bag. Another problem is where do you vent from? The vent should be on the top, but so should the fill and stock bags only have one 3/4 fitting on top.

Nothing wrong with doing a vent, just don't see the benefit of doing it (other than not having the leave the hatch open when filling)

-Paul

All my fly high fat sac products have 2 fittings on the top. It has been a while, but i am pretty positive the fat sacs completely fill even though they are vented.

Paul

My 750 Fly High bags have 3 caps. 2 on top and 1 on bottom. They do seem to fill completely even though they are vented. That being said, they also may loose a bit out the vent line from water sloshing around and being forced out vent.

-Paul

I vented my 750 bags, they fill the compartment (vride so might be smaller) almost totally. however I seem to loose a bit once the bags are "bloated" they start peeing out both the drain and the vent . I ran them with manual pumps last year and the few pounds I loose being 100% automated is absolutely no issue.

I have not put a vent loop or check valve yet on the fill line so will see if I loose much out that way, first two rides this year the bags seemed to hold the water.