Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Wake surf board

Malibuswany

Want to get a wake surf board this year. Need your guys advice on which one. Never done it before and probably wont get to crazy on it anyway. What do you guys think?

Want to get a wake surf board this year. Need your guys advice on which one. Never done it before and probably wont get to crazy on it anyway. What do you guys think?

Yes you will!! Insert Warning message here that wakesurfing is addicting.

In my opinion Compression molded (vs. a foam/fiberglass or epoxy) construction is the best first board to get for the boat. They a durable, easy to ride and are a little bit slower so its easier to learn and teach people on. The Hyperlite Broadcast and Ronix Cortez is where I would steer your toward for a first board. Depending on the weight/height range will depend what size board you get but the 5'4" to 5'6" size range pretty much covers everybody.

Hope this helps you out.

-Paul

Yes you will!! Insert Warning message here that wakesurfing is addicting.

In my opinion Compression molded (vs. a foam/fiberglass or epoxy) construction is the best first board to get for the boat. They a durable, easy to ride and are a little bit slower so its easier to learn and teach people on. The Hyperlite Broadcast and Ronix Cortez is where I would steer your toward for a first board. Depending on the weight/height range will depend what size board you get but the 5'4" to 5'6" size range pretty much covers everybody.

Hope this helps you out.

-Paul

OP - the input was unanimous on the Hyperlite Broadcast. I bought a 2008 Broadcast 5.6 and 4.9 used from another crew member, planning on my first summer of surfing in a few months. Actually planning regular triathalons (board, foot, surf)!

Malibuswany,

I have an '04 4'8" Hyperlite Broadcast that came with my boat. I am 6'2" 215 lb, so I feel that based on what Paul said, my board may be a little short for me. I have only tried it a few times, so I am by no means good at it. Most of the time, I have to hang on to the rope...dunno if that is because of my poor surf skills or a short board!

Anyway, if we do end up meeting up on the water at Powell this June, you are more than welcome to try it out. I'm still not 100% sure if I can make it down, or to which marina I will go, but just a thought for you to consider.

I had a compression molded board obrien alias... as a wakeboarder I used it a couple of times and moved to a ronix koal... glided well but didn't turn... then bought a IS Blue Lake and am in love... should have shortened the path and bought the blue lake right out of the gate... would have improved my riding quicker also if I went straight to the blue lake..

Check out triple X boards.....a lot of people here really like them and the price is pretty good.

I have a CWB Tsnami and it is a pretty good board for everyone!

My favorite board is the triple X though. I have the slasher pro.

Triple X

I have owned and sold: broadcast, inland surfer blue lake, ronix stage 5'4". I have kept the Tsunami because it is a good board for anyone.

I was also looking for my first surf board and have seen alot of good reveiws for Liquid Force Fish. Anyone have any experience with them?

A question for Paul or anyone else:

We're going to start wakesurfing this summer on our new boat. Should we get his/hers surfboards? I'm 6'0", and most of my friends are in that range. The GF is only about 5'5", so should we get two boards? Will it make a big difference in ease of riding if we tried to compromise with only one?

Gonna rock the Ronix though! Support the local crew!!!

I have the Liquid force Fish i believe the 5.0 - easy board to surf good forthe first timer and a buddy has the Phase 5 board very fun and greasy feel to it. Much more livley, but harder for the first timer. I am looking into a shred stixx hazen for a second board, any one have or tried one?

i would 1st decide on what style of board you want (skim vs surf) and what type of budget you have. I have not owned any of the wakeboard company boards, so i can not comment on those. I have owned a few boards of other brands (Inland Surfer, Phase 5, Towanza, Flyboy, TWP). The IS Blue Lake (surf) and 4-Skim Black Pearl (skim) were my beginner boards and they were both great. However, if I was looking for a beginner today, I would take a look at the Inland surfer Tri-fin Squirt because you can ride it surf or skim style and it is relatively affordable at $350. Here are my comments on the boards I have ridden. Also, there are generally good used boards for sale on www.centurioncrew.com since most Centurion owners just surf. Good luck on not getting addicted to surfing!

1. IS Blue Lake: great learning board. Very stable and pretty fast with 4 fins. It is a little big for me at 155lbs. It great board for the 175lbs - 225lbs

2. IS 4-Skim Black Pearl "Yellow" Tri-Fin: great learning/boat board for skimming. Set it up with 3 fins when you start out and use one once you progress. you spin it easily.

Note: here is the best thread I have found on reviews of all types of boards (beginner to pro) by regular people. My guess is that you will have to sign up as a member to see the thread, but its worth the effort if you are looking for a new board.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php?showtopic=3325

Edited by jkw24

Note: here is the best thread I have found on reviews of all types of boards (beginner to pro) by regular people. My guess is that you will have to sign up as a member to see the thread, but its worth the effort if you are looking for a new board.

http://www.centurion...?showtopic=3325

That really is a great review thread. Lots of love for the IS Squirt there.

I started on the Broadcast but you will quickly grow tired of it. While it is easy to learn on I find it slow and not very responsive and you will be upgrading in no time. Take a look at http://www.inlandsurfer.com/. Depending on how crazy you want to get you can go from Red Woody to the 4 Skim. I had a Yellow Loogey and am now on the Black Pearl. Great boards you can order direct from Inland. They are located near Lake Sammamish in Washington state I beleive.

Edited by old skool malibu

One question should be are you adding additional ballast? If the answer is no youll want a longer board If you are Youll want to shorten it up. We kept a CWB Tsunami and Ride around for our first time riders. I would steer toward the Inland Surfer boards :thumbup:

Did a bit of research and talked to a few "experts" up here in the frozen North and was pointed towards a Phase 5 Oogle. It's 5'8" long, good for up to 250lbs and apparently a excellent all round board for a family...

Cheers

Did a bit of research and talked to a few "experts" up here in the frozen North and was pointed towards a Phase 5 Oogle. It's 5'8" long, good for up to 250lbs and apparently a excellent all round board for a family...

Cheers

Yup the Phase 5's are sweet rides. I quite like the Drew Danielo Pro Models... http://www.phase5boards.com/boards_1.shtml

Cheers

Stop in at Shuswap Ski and Board in the SE. Mike will hook you up with a good deal. http://www.shuswapsnb.com/

Edited by old skool malibu

Stop in at Shuswap Ski and Board in the SE. Mike will hook you up with a good deal. http://www.shuswapsnb.com/

Thanks!! Wow..they are less than 10 minutes from my house and I didn't know they existed. I checked out their website and I will definitely be dropping in (probably on my way to the boat show this weekend!!). Much appreciated!

Yup the Phase 5's are sweet rides. I quite like the Drew Danielo Pro Models... http://www.phase5boards.com/boards_1.shtml

I rode a carbon fibre drew danielo this summer... I'm 220 and I was a bit big for it... lots of work to keep it going.... I spent a whole week demoing boards in mara last year with Shuswap S&B... that was an awesome way to play.

Thanks!! Wow..they are less than 10 minutes from my house and I didn't know they existed. I checked out their website and I will definitely be dropping in (probably on my way to the boat show this weekend!!). Much appreciated!

Mike should be at the show as well.

I rode a carbon fibre drew danielo this summer... I'm 220 and I was a bit big for it... lots of work to keep it going.... I spent a whole week demoing boards in mara last year with Shuswap S&B... that was an awesome way to play.

Yup bought lots form them. My second Inland Surfer - Black Pearl I bought from them after trying it out on Mara.

they make a DD Carbon XL that I think you can ride up to 240lbs. A buddy of mine ripped on one and he was 230lbs.

I'm around 230, and this is the baord I ride. Everyone on my boat can ride it and it works great for bigger guys

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wake-surfboards/grind-water-mauka-wakesurf-board-2010.aspx#utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine