Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Samson G3 Tower Mirror.. is it worth $450???

nyryan2001

With everything that I love about the Malibu, that windshield mirror about makes me sick. They need to fire the guy in charge of that. Terrible design. You gotta screw into the chrome trim a fixed mirror that makes you look away from the line of sight direction you are traveling to look over to the mirror. Plus, when you mount it in the middle section of the mirror, you have to have it closed-- so lets not have the nice breeze on a 95deg Aug day? They should have designed a quality removeable tension mount that sits it about 3 inches above the windshield...ANYWHERE along the top of the windshied. That'll fold flat if you are standing or up on the bolster and visibility becomes a problem. You need the mirror dead center in front of the driver.

Also realizing no pull out cleats anywhere near the front of the boat. I guess you gotta hang over the front and use the bow stop d-ring if you want to anchcor or tie out? I like clean lines but-- man.

Anyways, enough of that rant. Does anyone have the G3 tower mirror and have any comments, do you like it, is it worth $450?

With everything that I love about the Malibu, that windshield mirror about makes me sick. They need to fire the guy in charge of that. Terrible design. You gotta screw into the chrome trim a fixed mirror that makes you look away from the line of sight direction you are traveling to look over to the mirror. Plus, when you mount it in the middle section of the mirror, you have to have it closed-- so lets not have the nice breeze on a 95deg Aug day? They should have designed a quality removeable tension mount that sits it about 3 inches above the windshield...ANYWHERE along the top of the windshied. That'll fold flat if you are standing or up on the bolster and visibility becomes a problem. You need the mirror dead center in front of the driver.

Also realizing no pull out cleats anywhere near the front of the boat. I guess you gotta hang over the front and use the bow stop d-ring if you want to anchcor or tie out? I like clean lines but-- man.

Anyways, enough of that rant. Does anyone have the G3 tower mirror and have any comments, do you like it, is it worth $450?

They have no pull out cleats on the 2011 247 LSV. I have them on the 2010 and use them all the time. I have the G3 Tower mirror. I bought mine from Bakes when they had their 20% off sale last spring....worth the money and well built...the price just shows you that we have inflation and raw materials do cost more and then they have to make a profit to live as well...FWIW

The mirror is high quality and looks great, but you can't see any action out in the flats. My boat is a 23. It might be different with a 247, but I doubt it.

Which side of Lake Anna are you on?

Why don't you add cleats to the bow of your boat? We've done it numerous times where customers wanted a extra pair mid bow.

I agree the factory mirro isn't all that fantastic, the tower mirror is better but it has its issues too but personally I like it a lot more. FYI that tower mirror is currently 15% off with our sale ending this Monday.

-Paul

Why don't you add cleats to the bow of your boat? We've done it numerous times where customers wanted a extra pair mid bow.

I agree the factory mirro isn't all that fantastic, the tower mirror is better but it has its issues too but personally I like it a lot more. FYI that tower mirror is currently 15% off with our sale ending this Monday.

-Paul

-Paul

The mirror is high quality and looks great, but you can't see any action out in the flats. My boat is a 23. It might be different with a 247, but I doubt it.

Which side of Lake Anna are you on?

Gotcha, thanks all for the replies.. The new samson Mirror has a new adjustable 3 section mirror that allow you to adjust the ends to see out to the flats..

Public side, for 2 yrs now....I launch and wet slip at Chris Run.... spend lots of time at the sandbar, good friends & huge party..... you must be on the private side? pretty sure I never saw a 2010 23 LSV...

Also FYI NONE of the 2011s have front cleats... I was at the Baltimore Boat show Fri...a 23, VLX and another I donno, none of them had front cleats...

Edited by nyryan2001

I have the three section mirror. Can't see the flats, but I can keep a close eye on the boards in the racks. :whistle:

My boat is serviced at Chessie in Elkton Md (the Bu dealer at the Baltimore show). I'm sure Lake Country is fine, but I'm a Chessie customer for life. Do stay far, far away from Lake Region Repair.

My community ramp has access to both sides, but I stay on the private side unless something is happening on the other side of the pond. Our season opener party will be around the first week in April. Watch for info here.

Got pix of your new boat????

I have the three section mirror. Can't see the flats, but I can keep a close eye on the boards in the racks. :whistle:

My boat is serviced at Chessie in Elkton Md (the Bu dealer at the Baltimore show). I'm sure Lake Country is fine, but I'm a Chessie customer for life. Do stay far, far away from Lake Region Repair.

My community ramp has access to both sides, but I stay on the private side unless something is happening on the other side of the pond. Our season opener party will be around the first week in April. Watch for info here.

Got pix of your new boat????

Have you been out to the main sandbar? Every weekend the sandbar is packed, the 3 big weekends tons of boats out there.

Sounds good on the April season opener, I plan mid march to get out there and do the full 10hr break in, in 1 day, right now there isonly 1hr on the boat.

I heard the water temp is much warmer on your side???

5395200377_64876a34a4_z.jpg

Edited by nyryan2001

FYI - you can get a looped dockline and attach it to your bow grab rail and use that to tie up. Not the same as a cleat but always worked for me. Most people I know use a bungee on the rear pylon and a line on the front cleat.

You have to put that mirror location in context. Tournament ski boats, which birthed the wake boat industry, used to use mirrors mounted to the DASH in line with the pylon. As skiing got more social, and the first open-bows were introduced, the mirrors got moved to the middle windshield and have stayed ever since. It's where every mirror for every manufacturer has been placed for 30 years. You're seeing the price than a tower mounted mirror can command, if you wnat one, get one. But as far as I'm concerned, it's not a fireable offense for putting the mirror in a place that keeps $450 off the price and has worked fine since the introduction of open-bows.

As for mooring up front, a bow lifting eye is what we have always used. Cleats are and have always been options. Just because your boat nor some other 2011s that you have seen don't have them doesn't mean they're not available.

I've heard nothing but positive comments on the samson mirrors

I'm sure I am of the minority here but...I have driven several boats with the tower mounted mirrors and everyone had the same problem for me. With the windshield mirror I can see the rider as well as the view in front of me with just eye movement. With the tower mirror I'm looking up at the mirror and there is no way I am seeing in front of me with peripheral vision. I like to watch the rider and not depend only on a spotter so I look in the mirror a lot. For me, it's just better to glance to the front of the boat and to the mirror by eye movement instead of moving my head up and down to watch each view. Again, for me, the only plus for the tower mirror is the option to leave the walk through glass open while towing.

I'm sure I am of the minority here but...I have driven several boats with the tower mounted mirrors and everyone had the same problem for me. With the windshield mirror I can see the rider as well as the view in front of me with just eye movement. With the tower mirror I'm looking up at the mirror and there is no way I am seeing in front of me with peripheral vision. I like to watch the rider and not depend only on a spotter so I look in the mirror a lot. For me, it's just better to glance to the front of the boat and to the mirror by eye movement instead of moving my head up and down to watch each view. Again, for me, the only plus for the tower mirror is the option to leave the walk through glass open while towing.

This.

Except mine mounts on the left end of the driver side window with the metal "S" mount. This is the best mirror I have used.