Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to me Malibu: 2004 Wakesetter VLX

Indyxc

Well guys,

I got my new to me 2004 Malibu Wakesetter Vlx! Was looking at a couple boats, Vrides, 205v hulled Mastercraft Xstar, Moomba Mobius LSVs, and this boat ended up being a great deal. Basically, a steal. Won it on ebay bidding at the last moment, and really didn't expect to win it at the price I did.

Drove down to Florida last weekend to pick it up. Turns out this thing is in in absolutely mint condition! No major scratches on it, vinyl is mint, except one seat, very clean. Amazing for 540 hours, original owner, and this previous owner took this thing to the dealer every 50 hours. It was maintained to the T. I did a water test, and it ran great. Followed it up with a compression check, and all cylinders were within 10 psi of each other.

Here is a pic of me picking it up:

18036810100263707659668.jpg

16734910100263707749488.jpg

To make the long trip home, from Florida to Michigan, I knew the mooring cover would of torn to pieces and destroyed the boat. I decided to wrap it in industrial saran wrap. 60 bucks in materials, and it was a MAJOR pain in the a**, but the boat made it home safe and clean.

16736110100263708502978.jpg

1150 miles at 10 mpg sucks!!

16567310100263707799388.jpg

All safe at home in the garage. Barely fit height wise, length wise, no problem!

18040010100263707859268.jpg

Overall, drove 3000 miles in 72 hours to pick it up, but well worth it!

Can't wait for the summer!

Edited by Indyxc

Congrats on the new Malibu! The saran wrap job is awesome! hahaahaha!

Malibu goes back 7 model years for upholstery so if you want to recover that seat I should be able to get a new skin for you? PM or e-mail me if i can help in any way.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!

-Paul

Nice boat. With some of the new boats wraps I have seen your saran wrap job ain't that bad.

Thanks this one came off when I got home too! :)

Bake's, Ill send you an email here shortly. I'm curious to see what it cost.

As far as the boat itself, only two things wrong with it so far, one ballast pump needs replacing, (easy), but the fuel gauge doesn't seem to to work.

After some reading, it could be that it is less than half full, which is why it doesn't work. Could also be the wiring, and the fuel sender unit, the MMDC, or something in between.

To start, I want to take out the fuel sending unit, and manually move it to see if the gauge responds. I can't seem to locate it, is it infront of the v-drive under the floor? Which, means I will have to pull the carpet? (all other gauges work fine)

Thanks!

Edited by Indyxc

the gas tank is translucent and it's right under the rear seat (by the vdrive). You can see the fuel sloshing around in there. Not having a gauge isn't QUITE as troublesome as you'd think....

the gas tank is translucent and it's right under the rear seat (by the vdrive). You can see the fuel sloshing around in there. Not having a gauge isn't QUITE as troublesome as you'd think....

Yeah, I know where the tank is, but where is the fuel sender unit? Under the center carpet hatch?

When it gets warmer Im going to trouble shoot the fuel gauge, but for now the boat is just relaxing in the garage. :) After work I tend to stop by the garage for a quick look. Can't wait for summer!

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I know where the tank is, but where is the fuel sender unit? Under the center carpet hatch?

When it gets warmer Im going to trouble shoot the fuel gauge, but for now the boat is just relaxing in the garage. :) After work I tend to stop by the garage for a quick look. Can't wait for summer!

Indyxc - I just bought a 2003 VLX, and I'm having the same problem with the fuel gauge not working. Check out the post below as it describes how to get to the sender unit (it's under the floor). There's a really helpful video in here. It was kind of a pain to get up, there are two screws, and then I used about 4 large flathead screwdrivers to pry it up.

Let me know what you find as I'm still trying to diagnose mine.