Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 247lsv what is the most I can put in my starage locker for weight?

philly

I just spoke with the dealer and he said I could squeeze around 300lbs in the lockers only if the tank was full first, what is the most anyone has put in there? other than the pull length custom ones, I wanna keep the storage under the seat and just put sack in the lockers. Thanks

I just spoke with the dealer and he said I could squeeze around 300lbs in the lockers only if the tank was full first, what is the most anyone has put in there? other than the pull length custom ones, I wanna keep the storage under the seat and just put sack in the lockers. Thanks

I think Malibu advises something like 50lbs? Many of us run 750 to 1100lbs back there with no issues. I would suggest to make sure the stock below the floor ballast is full of course. If you go to 750 or more you may need to reinforce your divider walls.

I think Malibu advises something like 50lbs? Many of us run 750 to 1100lbs back there with no issues. I would suggest to make sure the stock below the floor ballast is full of course. If you go to 750 or more you may need to reinforce your divider walls.

Or you can step it up and get the custom surf sac from Bakes! http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1813

Why would it matter if the floor tank is full or not? It's vented. The water isn't providing any structural support.

Why would it matter if the floor tank is full or not? It's vented. The water isn't providing any structural support.

I was not aware it was vented. I have read in other forums that it is suggested the bottom tank should be full. If indeed the tank is vented then it would not matter as you have pointed out.

yeah, everyone says to fill the hard tanks first, but I cant see it doing anything as the water could just be pushed out the vent line....Unless there was like a solenoid valve that could completely seal the system once it is full, I dont think filling the tanks does anything.

I would think the vent is higher than the tank and bag combined so the water wouldn't get pushed out would it? In that case it would provide support. Could be wrong though.

I would think the vent is higher than the tank and bag combined so the water wouldn't get pushed out would it? In that case it would provide support. Could be wrong though.

blow up a fly high bag with air. Attach a vent hose. hold the hose over your head. Now stand on the bag. What happens?

Now fill the bag with water and repeat the experiment. What happens?

Trust me it needs to be full..If not your risk of bending the sending unit goes way up. Wannan guess how I know that the sending unit is 170 bucks? Wanna guess how big of a pain in the rear it is to swap out? I can tell you.

I am in the doesn't matter full or empty on lower tank group. It is vented so no capacity to hold weight on top of it. That being said, doesn't the piggyback system drain from the bottom up? Mine does and can empty the lower tank before the bag can drain to lower tank. Therefore the top of the hard tank is empty shortly after starting the drain process, not supporting the bag. Bag drains slowly to the tank. Have not had any problems yet.

blow up a fly high bag with air. Attach a vent hose. hold the hose over your head. Now stand on the bag. What happens?

Now fill the bag with water and repeat the experiment. What happens?

Just curious, may be a dumb question but why would the factory hard tanks have to be vented? I know it is a good idea to vent the soft bags but if air is never introduced into the hard tank system why would venting be required? Any idea where the vent line ties into?

Edited by old skool malibu

I have yet to see a 75 pound Malibu Mechanic.

From Experience fill your hard tank first. the water believe it or not does provide some structural support and is not pushed out of the vent line.

We crushed a tank with a 1600 pound fat sac that was not full. Since we have always filled the stock tank first then the big boy or at the same time because the stock tank fills much more quickly than the 247 Custom Surf Sac.

IMHO FWIW