Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I think I found my 'bu

gmab

I've been searching for a used '06 Wakesetter LSV 23' and came across a '07 for $40k. Seems like a pretty darn good deal and I haven't found anything wrong (yet). It doesn't have the Power Wedge and some of the other bells n' whistles but only has 156hrs on it.

I do have a question.

On the Starboard side near the driver there are typically 4 outlets which I thought were for the 4 ballast tanks. This craft only has three. Any thoughts?

The dealer provided me with a copy of the sticker (they originally sold the boat) and swears it has all 4 ballast tanks. He wasn't sure so he was going to contact Malibu. I thought I would check with crew.

This is on the sticker:

Malibu Launch System (Bow Ballast system)

Malibu Launch System (Midship Ballast system)

Malibu Launch System (Rear Ballast system)

Ballast Monitoring System (BMS)

This is a distance sale so I haven't seen the boat yet. While I'm not crazy about all the white (my favorite is black and red), the price is right.

Side.jpg

DSC02869.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmab

• skicrave

• martinarcher

• TallRedRider

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All Wakesetter 23 LSV's from that generation included the bow ballast tank (it wasn't an option, it came standard), so my first thought is that it may be a Sunscape 23 that was ordered with the rear and center ballast option (that might also explain why it has the shield graphic, and not the standard decal for that year).

The number of thru-hulls on the side of the boat is not enough to identify the number of ballast tanks, as Malibu has changed that configuration numerous times throughout the years.

If you can get a picture standing right in the middle of the main cockpit (where the insert for the table is in the second pictures above) looking forward toward the bow we'll be able to let you know.

Is the dealer willing to give you the Hull ID. If so, you can always call Malibu and ask them your questions. That is what I would do.

White is awesome - Red and Black will show every little scratch and every little swirl mark from drying it towels.

That boat is beautiful and will be perfect once you remove the graphic from the side :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow, he got back to me fast. Dealer said he called Malibu and the factory guy was a bit stumped but said it could have been a mid-year change as the 2008's only have 3 forward and 3 aft?? I looked at some 2008 pictures and seems like there can be any number.

Other explanation was it could have been the factory the boat was built at.

At this point I believe it has all the tanks and I'm more curious than anything. Learning lots and appreciate the crew.

How many on the other side? The third is your bilge. Mine's at the back but it could vary.

From the pic's, I can only see 2 on the Port side. I'm not sure about the Starboard but it looks like there are 2 as well.

Is one the bilge and the other fuel overflow?

DSC02875.jpg

All Wakesetter 23 LSV's from that generation included the bow ballast tank (it wasn't an option, it came standard), so my first thought is that it may be a Sunscape 23 that was ordered with the rear and center ballast option (that might also explain why it has the shield graphic, and not the standard decal for that year).

The number of thru-hulls on the side of the boat is not enough to identify the number of ballast tanks, as Malibu has changed that configuration numerous times throughout the years.

If you can get a picture standing right in the middle of the main cockpit (where the insert for the table is in the second pictures above) looking forward toward the bow we'll be able to let you know.

While I don't have a clear pic showing forward, here's one that I think confirms it.

DSC02863.jpg

Is the dealer willing to give you the Hull ID. If so, you can always call Malibu and ask them your questions. That is what I would do.

White is awesome - Red and Black will show every little scratch and every little swirl mark from drying it towels.

That boat is beautiful and will be perfect once you remove the graphic from the side :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good point regarding the scratches. I have a black Denali and that thing is a **** to keep clean. Not sure what's up with the graphic on the side. I don't like that at all. Dealer was willing to put the originals on (tribal?).

Hull ID is: MB2S6105E707

I'd remove the graphics and leave it clean. It would look pretty nice with some tint on the windshield as well. Nothing too dark, just a color

go naked and see how you like it first, the white with black will look real nice clean

My first impression with the white was too bland so some tint might give it a little edge.

Sounds like a good idea to leave plain for now. Maybe I need to do some Photoshop to see what it would look like.

You have all 4 ballasts (Can see the bow in the later pic) and the odd hole is your bilge (9 total). The fuel doesn't vent out any of those. Judging by the placement of the holes I may have to agree with Jason that that is a Sunscape. The Wakesetter holes are pretty standard and the only deviations I have seen are when someone bought a Sunscape and added ballast as an option. Just to be safe you should make sure it really is a Wakesetter as it may be sitting on a diamond hull.

Nope, no Wakesetter badges on an '07, just the back-lit Malibu badge behind the cupholders that all of the boats have.

If you have a picture looking at the transom of the boat we can tell for sure, but if it has the bow ballast option then it's definitely a Wakesetter, and so few were ordered with Diamond hulls that it's a pretty safe bet it has got a wake hull.

Nope, no Wakesetter badges on an '07, just the back-lit Malibu badge behind the cupholders that all of the boats have.

If you have a picture looking at the transom of the boat we can tell for sure, but if it has the bow ballast option then it's definitely a Wakesetter, and so few were ordered with Diamond hulls that it's a pretty safe bet it has got a wake hull.

This picture is the best I have of the rear. At this point I can't tell with certainty that it is NOT a diamond hull.

Dealer says it is a Wake Hull and obviously something I'll have to verify.

SDC11475.jpg

So it has the Malibu badge behind the cupholders but the hand rod is centered vs. towards the front like other pictures I see online (hmm...kinda odd?).

Also, no speakers near these cupholders.

6x speakers (not including tower). 2 rear, 2 dash, 2 bow.

DSC02868.jpg

EDIT: This one is starting to bug me. Not because of the location of the handle but because it is a discrepancy. Manufacturing doesn't make a mistake like this so why the different location handle??

Edited by gmab

I have an 07

the 3 vents in the bow are

1-mid ship drain

1-bow drain

1-bow vent

Rear

2 on the port side and 3 on the starboard side (1 drain, 1 vent each side and the third is the bilge drain)

The tower does have the WS plate on the base just like mine someone probably was tired of the tribal graphic and tried to update it.

I have an 07

the 3 vents in the bow are

1-mid ship drain

1-bow drain

1-bow vent

Rear

2 on the port side and 3 on the starboard side (1 drain, 1 vent each side and the third is the bilge drain)

The tower does have the WS plate on the base just like mine someone probably was tired of the tribal graphic and tried to update it.

Thanks, I didn't know that and learned something new. I assume the mid-ship vent might be tee'd in with the bow.

Anyway, my whole idea is to identify and discover any deviations or discrepancies from the norm as this is indicative of rework or something not quite as advertised. Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'Fakesetters', sunk boats, salvage title, rework, etc. that one has to stay diligent so as not to be taken.

I'm still curious as to the side handles and why they are centered instead of forward. Interior rework?

(Note, I don't really care where they are, just wondering why the difference)

Beautiful boat man! Well worth the price I might say too!

40k is a real good deal.. buy it!

I believe that if it is too good to be true it probably is.... We'll see how this plays out as it isn't a done deal yet.

Edited by gmab

Thanks, I didn't know that and learned something new. I assume the mid-ship vent might be tee'd in with the bow.

Anyway, my whole idea is to identify and discover any deviations or discrepancies from the norm as this is indicative of rework or something not quite as advertised. Unfortunately, there are a lot of 'Fakesetters', sunk boats, salvage title, rework, etc. that one has to stay diligent so as not to be taken.

I'm still curious as to the side handles and why they are centered instead of forward. Interior rework?

(Note, I don't really care where they are, just wondering why the difference)

I believe that if it is too good to be true it probably is.... We'll see how this plays out as it isn't a done deal yet.

it never hurts to google the HIN, you never know what might show up.

i posted a HIN in thread a while back to see if google would pick it up. Sure enough, a few days later the HIN showed up in a google search pointing back at that thread about someone flogging a badly repaired boat that had been totaled.

DSC02868.jpg

EDIT: This one is starting to bug me. Not because of the location of the handle but because it is a discrepancy. Manufacturing doesn't make a mistake like this so why the different location handle??

Have to admit, never seen the location of the handle there before, was it custom ordered that way? :dontknow:

Don't worry about the handle placement too much, if I had to guess I would say it's just a difference in production between CA and TN. Malibu made great strides in unifying things when they ran both production facilities, but just a few years ago there were some glaring differences between boats that came from different factories.