Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Speed Control Purchase

Levi900RR

Anyone running the Perfect Pass Cruise on an older carb'd Malibu? I have a 93 Euro Skier and I'm thinking about Speed control for this coming year.

I really like the price point of the PP Cruise system. But I don't want to buy it and hate it.

I use my boat 90% of the time for wakeboarding but I'm planning to get into surfing and skating this year. We are intermediate wakeboarders at best.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I should add, if you have a different Speed control and like it or dislike it I would love to hear about that as well...

Edited by Levi900RR

Anyone running the Perfect Pass Cruise on an older carb'd Malibu? I have a 93 Euro Skier and I'm thinking about Speed control for this coming year.

I really like the price point of the PP Cruise system. But I don't want to buy it and hate it.

I use my boat 90% of the time for wakeboarding but I'm planning to get into surfing and skating this year. We are intermediate wakeboarders at best.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I should add, if you have a different Speed control and like it or dislike it I would love to hear about that as well...

I haven't used it in a carb'd Malibu, but I have used the system on a mid 90's Sport Nautique for wakeboarding, trick skiing, and open water slalom. It works very well, as long as your boat isn't "grossly" overweighted.

When I'm driving a boat without a PerfectPass system, I typically concentrate on keeping the rpm's constant, which is what the PP cruise system is doing. I have gone back and forth between rpm mode and the speed based trick and wakeboard mode with my boat and the difference is minimal at most at the end of the rope.

Edited by Sethro

You would love it, we've installed it on a lot of older carb boats and the owners have no complaints other than it's difficult to learn. Perfect pass has a little bit of a learning curve but for the most part the system is great. Definitely go Star Gazer, going from Pitot to GPS, will be a great upgrade.

-Paul

Edit: PS: There is no other better system that I know of for your boat.

Edited by Bake's Marine

After running a weighted Skier I can say I don't think the RPM based cruise will work as well as the GPS based system. To give someone a good pull you have to keep your eyes on the speedo like a hawk and make constant small throttle changes. I think Paul is right, for the older 260hp carb'ed boats the stargazer GPS based speed control will be best. I built myself a GPS speedometer for the Sunsetter. I did enough software to parse the GPS data and display it on the LCD screen, but haven't closed the loop and done a cruise control.

Been talking to Chris about getting the PP off his wrecked Sunsetter. I'm going to give it a go and hope it works well. If I need GPS based I might combine my speedo controller and the PP.

I'm with you Levi - I want a speed control bad!

Thanks!

I had perfect pass on my 89 Sunsetter and it worked fantstic. Stargazer was not available when I got my paddle wheel system but no complaints what so ever. It is definately a "wifesaver"! :yahoo:

So I totaly understand that the GPS system would be more presice. I think that I wont notice going from 22 MPH to 23 MPH and then back to 22 as long as its a smooth transition. My issue now is cutting out and just as I go to cut back towards the wake my "Driver" cuts the throttle back and I lose all my rope tension. I really only have 1 driver that can hold a solid speed which is pretty frustrating.

Cruise = $675

StarG = $1300 +

The question for me is the GPS twice as good as the regular Cruise system? Its a tough call because like I stated above I dont want to buy it and hate it but if the Stargazer really is the way to go I'm probably going to end up waiting another season to stash some more cash...

I do think you'll notice a fluctuation from 22mph to 23mph and back, but I don't think you'll see that with the cruise system. Like martinarcher said, one can watch the speedo like a hawk and make constant small changes, or one can utilize the tach and correlate the rpm's with the rider's preferred speed....such as 2350rpm=22mph with the given load inside the boat. Or maybe it's 2600rpm=22mph when you have all your friends and ballast on board.

With the PP Cruise system, you essentially have the rider give you the ok when the speed (engine rpm) is to his/her liking and you set it. It remains at that set point when the rider falls and starts again until you decide to change the set point...perhaps for the next rider.

I don't do much wakeboading anymore, but while trick skiing behind boats without speed control I always plead with the driver to watch the tach instead of the speedo...it's actually become somewhat of a joke when my driver asks how fast I to go and I answer in rpm's and we all chuckle. :biggrin: Long story short, I think you'll enjoy the cruise system for wakeboarding and wakeskating, but I can't comment on surfing as I have no experience with that.

I just talked to the guys at Perfect Pass. The GPS system is the one I want. They said the RPM based model will be ALL over the place at surf speeds.

Guess I need to squirl away some more coin! :cry:

I just talked to the guys at Perfect Pass. The GPS system is the one I want. They said the RPM based model will be ALL over the place at surf speeds.

Guess I need to squirl away some more coin! :cry:

I would disagree. I have had the paddlewheel system which you can run on RPM or speed (paddlewheel). Yes GPS is more accurate but I have never had any issues on my 89 sunsetter or my 09 VTX at surf speeds. I may upgrade my system to incorporate GPS as I dont like the Malibu speed control at skiing speeds. That is my only issue..surf speeds it works just fine.

I would disagree. I have had the paddlewheel system which you can run on RPM or speed (paddlewheel). Yes GPS is more accurate but I have never had any issues on my 89 sunsetter or my 09 VTX at surf speeds. I may upgrade my system to incorporate GPS as I dont like the Malibu speed control at skiing speeds. That is my only issue..surf speeds it works just fine.

So you have used the RPM based system at Surf speeds and not had a problem?

So you have used the RPM based system at Surf speeds and not had a problem?

No issues, but typically I like to run surf and wakeboard using the paddlwheel. I ski using the RPM mode.

No issues, but typically I like to run surf and wakeboard using the paddlwheel. I ski using the RPM mode.

And the paddlewheel one is only like 80 bucks less than the GPS...

I think I gotta hold out for the GPS.