Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric Nautique

eyepeeler

A similar concept to this is already being developed. I dont remember exactly who it was, but it was someone with a lot of credibility in this space. essentially what they were trying to develop was a smart grid for cars where you could drive your car to a 'station' that would be able to swap out your battery in ~10 min. the car would talk to the grid so that the stations would know what to expect in terms of demand, and when.

Bingo. I bet multiple people are. If you already have a lot of the infrastructure (transpo equipment, access to high voltage at a dirt cheap rate, etc.) you have a leg up.

1. It's not "going green." It's just a trade off between burning gas in the boat vs. burning coal to supply the electric charge.

Ditto.

They can have my gas engine when they pry the keys to make it roar out of my cold dead fingers!! :mad:

Dam straight. Not ready to give it up either.

But the whole concept & innovation is neat to watch develop.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michigan boarder

• Lance B. Johnson

• eyepeeler

• jkendallmsce

The "well to wheels" efficiency of electric cars versus gasoline cars has been studied already, turns out the efficiency is higher for electric cars even with the distribution and charging losses. Also much easier to run a powerplant for maximum efficiency and pollution control, plus remember we have plenty of coal - its just not very good for the environment.4 to 5 sets for a prototype is pretty darn good, this isn't some wakeboard boat, people get tired after that many slalom sets.

-Chris

As with any information it depends on what you read. The problem with these studies is that the scientists that are conducting them are the same scientists that stand to benifit from them. Fuel Energy is converted to electricity, run through a transformer, transferred many miles, run through another transformer, then again another one to charge the batteries. Does anyone know the energy costs of producing these batteries BTW? The energy costs to recycle them? Sorry but I am not a believer.

Reminds me of the days when I taught an electric car class. Students built and raced an electric car. It was a great class and the students learned a ton....but come race day I always cringed in the pit area when all these inefficiant small gas engine powered generators were used to charge the battery pack.

BTW- I am firmly planted in the diesel hybrid camp...I see this as the most viable solution.

BTW- I am firmly planted in the diesel hybrid camp...I see this as the most viable solution.

You should build one. I think we would all love to see how it works :rockon:

Find a DD with a cracked block and get cracking

You should build one. I think we would all love to see how it works :rockon:

Find a DD with a cracked block and get cracking

Actually i was speaking of general transportation :lol: Diesel would be to stinky on a boat.

The "well to wheels" efficiency of electric cars versus gasoline cars has been studied already, turns out the efficiency is higher for electric cars even with the distribution and charging losses. Also much easier to run a powerplant for maximum efficiency and pollution control, plus remember we have plenty of coal - its just not very good for the environment.

4 to 5 sets for a prototype is pretty darn good, this isn't some wakeboard boat, people get tired after that many slalom sets.-Chris

Not really, we can surf/ wakeboard for hours on a loaded boat and not have to worry about fuel.

Actually i was speaking of general transportation :lol: Diesel would be to stinky on a boat.

Nah! Take the extra step and roll Biodiesel with recycled peanut oil. Then your afternoon of boating could be sponsored by the yummy smell of McDonalds fries.

As with any information it depends on what you read. The problem with these studies is that the scientists that are conducting them are the same scientists that stand to benifit from them. Fuel Energy is converted to electricity, run through a transformer, transferred many miles, run through another transformer, then again another one to charge the batteries. Does anyone know the energy costs of producing these batteries BTW? The energy costs to recycle them? Sorry but I am not a believer.

Reminds me of the days when I taught an electric car class. Students built and raced an electric car. It was a great class and the students learned a ton....but come race day I always cringed in the pit area when all these inefficiant small gas engine powered generators were used to charge the battery pack.

When looking at the energy consumed by a vehicle over its lifetime, the energy involved in manufacturing and end of life is peanuts in comparison.

There is a new video out about the Electric Nautique. They said the Electric Nautique is available now in the 196. The price...$30,000 above the regular gas engine model. The reason for the $30,000....You are paying now for the gas that you won't be buying for the next 10 years.

Nah! Take the extra step and roll Biodiesel with recycled peanut oil. Then your afternoon of boating could be sponsored by the yummy smell of McDonalds fries.

:vomit: too much.

haterz gonna hate..

from this

a0041_mid.jpg

to this

iphone-4-23yt-460.jpg

when it comes to electric cars and boats, i think we are somewhere between the briefcase phone and the besa block sized hand held phones.. It will take time. You think the internal combustion engine came out of nowhere overnight? no. so dont expect the same from electric vehicles. This boat currently is useless for 90% of the ski boat buying public. so in real terms, 0.0001% of boaters. :lol:

Seeing we are all bringing up conservative fear rumours about EV's, why doesnt someone bring up the 'fact' that a hummer is more green than a prius... which is infact a lie started by an advertising company and has been proven wrong countless times.

By going to electric vehicles it gives us FAR more options insdead of the status quo. Why be told by the government and big business that gas is the only way to go? who on here likes the fact that every time you fill up a percentage of that goes to an arab sheik, oil tycoon or funding terrorism? Well deeerrrrrrrr there are fosil fuel ways to produce electricity, but electricity gives more options. solar, wind, geothermal, tidal, nuclear etc etc. i really struggle to understand the conservative anti EV belief. Why do we as SUV driving gas guzzling boat owners all of a sudden think 'hmmm i bet those batteries are bad for the environment, doesnt sound like a good idea to me'. doesnt make sense! Once the majority of the right realises that there are far greater political and economical benefits to go in this way, the better. Would you rather give your hard earned USD to questionable arab states, or, drive a car designned in MI, batteries made in TN (a massive Li-on plant is being built) and powered by the panels on your roof, nearest wind farm, nuke or coal station built and run by americans? Who cares how 'green' it is or isnt. keep the $$$ at home.

this is by far the coolest thing a ski boat company has done in years. Long live the 196!

As with any information it depends on what you read. The problem with these studies is that the scientists that are conducting them are the same scientists that stand to benifit from them. Fuel Energy is converted to electricity, run through a transformer, transferred many miles, run through another transformer, then again another one to charge the batteries. Does anyone know the energy costs of producing these batteries BTW?

Look at what you have to compare it too. Do you seriously think the loss of power is even a concern when you think about gas? Pumped out of the ground (could be anywhere in the world)>piped to central point>put on ship or pumped further again>refined>transported to gas station>put in your boat>towed to the lake - used. and you are worried about efficiency through power lines? :rofl:

My bag phone rarely dropped calls, wish I could say that about my I phone.

how many gig was it? how fast was your data connection?...................

Look at what you have to compare it too. Do you seriously think the loss of power is even a concern when you think about gas? Pumped out of the ground (could be anywhere in the world)>piped to central point>put on ship or pumped further again>refined>transported to gas station>put in your boat>towed to the lake - used. and you are worried about efficiency through power lines? :rofl:

Actually it is, "well to gas tank" efficiency is actually quite high, somewhere on the order of 80-85% depending on where you look.

Electricity is in the low 30%'s IIRC.

Now of course an ICE has a much lower efficiency than an electric motor, and we have ample opportunity to improve our electricity production. Plus ICE's are not going to get much cleaner or more efficient anytime soon.

-Chris

Since when does a thread about an electric boat turn into a political debate...

....and I'm done with this thread!

You couldn't see this coming ? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and think you did.

1st READ my post Toby.....

2nd Answer this question about my post:

Did I ever say that distributing electricity is more costly than distributing crude products?

3rd Try to understand this:

Way to many people buy in to the Utopian belief of free energy. They ALWAYS seem to forget what the real expenses are. This was the point of my comment.

BTW- Electric Cars and the idea of electric cars have been around for many years. The idea is nothing new. Your cell phone analogy is very weak.

Also- It is funny you drag politics into a discussion about alternative fuels. Further, you pigeon hole anyone that doubts the feasibility of an EV and call them a Conservative.......I find it hilarious because I happen to be a Liberal....just one with stronger technical back ground than most Prius drivers.

Edited by Ruffdog