Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electric Nautique

eyepeeler

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michigan boarder

• Lance B. Johnson

• eyepeeler

• jkendallmsce

Guys it's not about charge time or battery capacity, you simply purchase additional batteries for reserve. We run distribution centers 24/7 by swapping batteries 3x per day on forklifts. A swap takes about 10 minutes. A lift costs $30k, the battery $7k, the charger $3k. One truck, one charger, and 3 batteries keeps it rolling 24/7.

The same thing should apply with electic cars. We shouldn't have plug in stations, it can take way longer than you need to get your charge back. Instead you should go to a battery swap station. Just like you can turn in your empty LP grill tank for a full one, turn in your depleted battery for a full one. Let them charge during non-peak hours.

I also think we are a long way away from electric technology, and I'm not certain it will make anyone's life better or the world less polluted, but we are definitely headed that way.

Ah, that's easy, just another current. In fact, you could put little heaters all over the place.

Indeed. Things that China has no problem working with. So instead of dependency on middle east oil we shift it to asian lead.

Ok now your down to two passes....

Your boat is too cool looking to quit.

Thanks, but the photo in the signature is not actually my boat, I haven't figured out how to load my photos yet. I grabbed that photo from the stock inventory of photos available on this website. I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXi, that I think is special and I will get some photos up at some point. I may have succeeded in attaching a photo of my boat to this response.

Thanks, but the photo in the signature is not actually my boat, I haven't figured out how to load my photos yet. I grabbed that photo from the stock inventory of photos available on this website. I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXi, that I think is special and I will get some photos up at some point. I may have succeeded in attaching a photo of my boat to this response.

post-14922-042810500 1295976673_thumb.jp

Guys it's not about charge time or battery capacity, you simply purchase additional batteries for reserve. We run distribution centers 24/7 by swapping batteries 3x per day on forklifts. A swap takes about 10 minutes. A lift costs $30k, the battery $7k, the charger $3k. One truck, one charger, and 3 batteries keeps it rolling 24/7.

The same thing should apply with electic cars. We shouldn't have plug in stations, it can take way longer than you need to get your charge back. Instead you should go to a battery swap station. Just like you can turn in your empty LP grill tank for a full one, turn in your depleted battery for a full one. Let them charge during non-peak hours.

I also think we are a long way away from electric technology, and I'm not certain it will make anyone's life better or the world less polluted, but we are definitely headed that way.

You don't actually believe this do you? It would take a solar farm to produce that kind of energy for each gas station replacement.

and you seldom hear talk about the 600 pound gorilla in the room: the build and disposal of those batteries.

there are some pretty nasty things in those batteries.

Car batteries have one the highest recycling rates of anything in the U.S. its something like 96% to 99% depending on where you look.

Also the batteries used for this stuff are not lead acid, they are less harmful NiMH or Li-ion. The value of those larger batteries in metal content should ensure very high recycling rates.

-Chris

You don't actually believe this do you? It would take a solar farm to produce that kind of energy for each gas station replacement.

I think it could work (just kicking around an idea). The gas station could receive fresh ones a couple times daily from a charging hub, and pick up the depleted ones. So the charging is done at a huge facility, and not likely by solar power. A charging company could provide a battery subscription to you, with given routes so that it knows to expect your daily usage (data fed by RF to the battery provider continuously, so it tracks your usage and develops a trend). So rather than a battery outlet wondering daily who is going to come to swap a battery, you are part of an approved customer with a specific battery need and a simple monthly service is charged. You also don't own multiple batteries that way or worry about how/where to charge them.

Just a thought. Could you do it with a boat? It would be easy with a marina on the lake, not so easy without. But if a homeowner had multiple batteries that charged via solar during day and via off-peak grid at night, it could work.

I'm glad to see this out in a Ski Boat, I have a customer who works with a wood boat manufacturer in Illinois and has video of a guy wakeboarding behind that boat.

These are basically lift truck motors modified for marine use. Great idea as gas prices again rise but limited application for those of us who are out on the water a lot during the day.

Batttery technology is improving but it's just not quite there yet.

The same thing with cars, limited range heavy and cumbersome batteries.

The Solar panel option is a great idea, there is a houseboat that was on the DIscovery Channel a while back that had solar panels along the top. A lift with solar panels would be helpful with these types of applications.

I guess is you live on a private lake and aren't too far away when the batteries go, I am on a chain of 10 lakes, and would be afraid to take that out of my bay, that's a long paddle or tow home!

Ken

I'm glad to see this out in a Ski Boat, I have a customer who works with a wood boat manufacturer in Illinois and has video of a guy wakeboarding behind that boat.

These are basically lift truck motors modified for marine use. Great idea as gas prices again rise but limited application for those of us who are out on the water a lot during the day.

The Solar panel option is a great idea, there is a houseboat that was on the DIscovery Channel a while back that had solar panels along the top. A lift with solar panels would be helpful with these types of applications.

I guess is you live on a private lake and aren't too far away when the batteries go, I am on a chain of 10 lakes, and would be afraid to take that out of my bay, that's a long paddle or tow home!

Ken

Definitely not the right application for everyone, but yes it would work for me on my lake.

Where's that picture of the guy with the sail on his tower? Problem solved!

Ken

AT least SN did not advertise the boat as getting 230 MPG like the folks at Chevrolet when promoting the Volt!! That was quickly disproved!!

Maybe they could incorporate a solar panel in the bimini to extend the run time?

Maybe they could install a cut off, to allow say 10-30 minute run time to get back to a charging station??

Edited by jkendallmsce

While I think this is more of a proof concept that the technology is availble to make a functional electric boat (albeit a short run time).

I think it is more likey that we would see the development of technology similar to hybrid cars (see Epic 23e)

Enter the electric diesel motor. Railroad engine manufacturers and shipbuilders have proved the efficanciy in using these motor applicaitons for heavy load applicaions such as wakeboarding.

IMO, I think we will see the diesel-electric wakeboard boat well before we see a practical variant of the fully electric boat. I think this would be the most practical application as well as the most efficant use of elcetic motors.

I still think it is awsome that mfg's are stepping up and taking the first steps into experimenting with the technology. The down side is that by the time it comes to market boats will cost $200K and we will all have hoverboards....and everyone knows hoverboards don't work on water. :whistle:

Where are these recharge stattions going to store hundreds of 500+ lb batteries? Electric powered cars have been around 100+ years and the issue is always range and battery size. The only way I see pure electric ever working is with a small diesel generator....just like trains and boats.

Where's that picture of the guy with the sail on his tower? Problem solved!

Well, whatdayano?

Is a Nautique too!

stiffytower.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete
A natural gas (CNG) option for the boat would be the best and still yield the performance that we have with gasoline.

With cars and truck also, why isnt anyone pushing CNG? Burns cleaner. No performance loss vs. gas. Plentiful here in the US. Cheaper than gas. We are starting to see more of it available here at gas stations too.

Electricy is a cool idea, but not practical yet. Why not lessen our dependence on foriegn oil and use CNG in the mean time.

With cars and truck also, why isnt anyone pushing CNG? Burns cleaner. No performance loss vs. gas. Plentiful here in the US. Cheaper than gas. We are starting to see more of it available here at gas stations too.

Electricy is a cool idea, but not practical yet. Why not lessen our dependence on foriegn oil and use CNG in the mean time.

CNG has a drastically lower BTU value than gas. You'd experience much slower acceleration and need a much larger fuel tank to compensate.

Plus the spent/unburned components (pollutants) are different but still a concern.

I think it could work (just kicking around an idea). The gas station could receive fresh ones a couple times daily from a charging hub, and pick up the depleted ones. So the charging is done at a huge facility, and not likely by solar power. A charging company could provide a battery subscription to you, with given routes so that it knows to expect your daily usage (data fed by RF to the battery provider continuously, so it tracks your usage and develops a trend). So rather than a battery outlet wondering daily who is going to come to swap a battery, you are part of an approved customer with a specific battery need and a simple monthly service is charged. You also don't own multiple batteries that way or worry about how/where to charge them.

Just a thought. Could you do it with a boat? It would be easy with a marina on the lake, not so easy without. But if a homeowner had multiple batteries that charged via solar during day and via off-peak grid at night, it could work.

A similar concept to this is already being developed. I dont remember exactly who it was, but it was someone with a lot of credibility in this space. essentially what they were trying to develop was a smart grid for cars where you could drive your car to a 'station' that would be able to swap out your battery in ~10 min. the car would talk to the grid so that the stations would know what to expect in terms of demand, and when.

Couple of things.

1. It's not "going green." It's just a trade off between burning gas in the boat vs. burning coal to supply the electric charge.

2. The internal layout was not passenger friendly, granted it is just a concept.

3. Am I the only one that is thinking about the high voltage batteries and water mixture?? What happens when, not if, this takes place?

CNG has a drastically lower BTU value than gas.

I didn't think that was the case. I could be wrong. Ethanol is less potent than normal unleaded and people push it like crazy.

Chesapeake energy is heaquartered here in OKC and a lot of their fleet vehicles are running on CNG. They have a lot of stake in NG so it only makes sense for them to push CNG. But, while a true cure to our dependency on foriegn oil is developed, we need to look inside our borders.

To be honest I don't ever see this being practical. At least not in my life. I am not even sure why Nautique would spend money researching it. The fact remains....as was said earlier....most of our electricity comes from coal/ petroleum sources.

Then we have battery recycling/ manufacturing issues.

The ONE benifit is the instantaneous torque that an electric motor can provide. But taking four passes and then going to the dock to change a 500 # battery for another four passes. :crazy:

common, why are we even discussing this?

Also, CNG doesn't nearly have the same BTU content as gas....BUT....it is a lot more stable at higher compressions (think octane). CNG engines with higher compression ratios can make up some of the difference but not all.

Edited by Ruffdog

To be honest I don't ever see this being practical. At least not in my life. I am not even sure why Nautique would spend money researching it. The fact remains....as was said earlier....most of our electricity comes from coal/ petroleum sources.

Then we have battery recycling/ manufacturing issues.

The ONE benifit is the instantaneous torque that an electric motor can provide. But taking four passes and then going to the dock to change a 500 # battery for another four passes. :crazy:

common, why are we even discussing this?

Also, CNG doesn't nearly have the same BTU content as gas....BUT....it is a lot more stable at higher compressions (think octane). CNG engines with higher compression ratios can make up some of the difference but not all.

The "well to wheels" efficiency of electric cars versus gasoline cars has been studied already, turns out the efficiency is higher for electric cars even with the distribution and charging losses. Also much easier to run a powerplant for maximum efficiency and pollution control, plus remember we have plenty of coal - its just not very good for the environment.

4 to 5 sets for a prototype is pretty darn good, this isn't some wakeboard boat, people get tired after that many slalom sets.

-Chris